FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows XP blues

shollaA
I run Windows XP Professional on my PC. My PC shutdown unexpectedly due to electricity outage. Since then, whenever I tried to boot it, it doesn't get to the login screen before starting to reboot all over again. I've tried booting to safe-mode without success. On slaving the hard drive to another PC, i discovered that I cannot access the "Administrator" folder. I have valuable data on the hard drive. Can anyone help?
qbawler311
It sounds like a hardware problem, first I would try replacing the RAM chip. Hopefully you can grab one from another pc to test. Given your situation if it still doesn't work after swapping ut the RAM the only other things it could be is the processor or the Mobo. You said you tried slaving the HDD on another pc. Why not use it as master and boot from it? This might solve the problem of accessing the admin folder?
shollaA
like i said earlier, the hard drive doesn't complete boot ing again. It simply doesn't boot to the windows desktop. If i slave it to another hard drive, of course the good hard drive boots, but i just can't access the administrator folder. Even the size of the folder reads zero!
takercena
change the 4 pin power adapter to another one. your PSU should have plenty of it. And one more, keep pressing Num Lock when u booting.
storken
how are your temperatures?

if the values are too high you kan get bluescreen.

check this with speedfan

http://www.google.no/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Anb-NO%3Aofficial_s&hl=no&q=speedfan+download&meta=&btnG=Google-s%C3%B8k
Xeniczone
ok try this,

First off windows really sucks! It just does it wants to give up on everything and crash.

Arrow Stick that hard drive into a computer!
Arrow Make sure the only think in the computer is a motherboard Graphics card hard drive power supply. Don't put anyother hardware in it that is not required (keyboard mouse sound card.)
Arrow Turn the computer on
Arrow if it boots turn it off and add a keyboard
Arrow if it boots with keyboard add mouse
Arrow if it boots with that use computer and get all the files you dont need of it.

The reason I say this is because if windows boots up on a computer with hardware mixed together that windows doesn't like it will not boot. I know your computer used to work but I'm just saying (because it happend to me.) It was a tv card it didnt' like so I took it out and my computer worked fine.
Bones
What do you mean 'you cannot access the admin folder'? Does it just not let you in, or does it give an error message? If it gives the error 'access denied' (which is my guess) it is because you are trying to access it from an account that doesnt have the proper permissions to access that folder.
Try this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

Since you are running XP Pro you should be able to take ownership of the folder directly rather than having to restart in safe mode as you do in XP home.

If you have already put the drive back in it's original pc, you could try booting to recovery console and running a chkdsk /r to try to repair any corrupted data...may recover it may not.

In my professional opinion, this does not sound like a hardware issue to me, as others have suggested.

shollaA wrote:
I run Windows XP Professional on my PC. My PC shutdown unexpectedly due to electricity outage. Since then, whenever I tried to boot it, it doesn't get to the login screen before starting to reboot all over again. I've tried booting to safe-mode without success. On slaving the hard drive to another PC, i discovered that I cannot access the "Administrator" folder. I have valuable data on the hard drive. Can anyone help?
x-stream
I had a problem like this, too. Try to get acces to e.g. c:/boot.ini
and check if there is a boot entry!
then check if there are the following files:
ntldr
bootfont.bin
msdos.sys
io.sys
pagefile.sys
ntdetect.com
hilberfil.sys
boot.ini
config.sys
autoexec.bat
if they are not there, windows can´t boot!