FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Spore!

ggreiner9
what do you guys think of that game...

http://spore.ea.com/

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/595/595975p1.html
Jayfarer
I think if it's everything Will Wright promises it will be, it is going to be a modern classic. Something that could possibly change the industry.
hodgenpodg
it looks ok...probably one of those games you get all excited for and then you get it, play it for 10 days straight, and then never touch it again.
Giampi
It sounds incredible. The very concept of it is mind-boggling. However, it's better to wait and see before proclaiming it the Greatest Game Ever.
driftingfe3s
hodgenpodg wrote:
it looks ok...probably one of those games you get all excited for and then you get it, play it for 10 days straight, and then never touch it again.

HAHA! I think I agree with this somewhat. Seems like a very flexable engine, but other than that...it seems like a hyperactive simulator game.
Jayfarer
driftingfe3s wrote:
hodgenpodg wrote:

HAHA! I think I agree with this somewhat. Seems like a very flexable engine, but other than that...it seems like a hyperactive simulator game.

It's the ultimate simulator. From cells to galaxies. The real innovation comes from how things evolve, practically not needing an art team. It's like it has AI art instead. Will Wright is better at describing the mind blowing possibilities of this than I am.
TonkPilz
i have bean looking forward to this game for some time now lets hope it deliver's
Scaramanga
Jayfarer wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:
hodgenpodg wrote:

It's the ultimate simulator. From cells to galaxies. The real innovation comes from how things evolve, practically not needing an art team. It's like it has AI art instead. Will Wright is better at describing the mind blowing possibilities of this than I am.

I think one of the most promising things about this "game" (as I'm almost loathe to use that term for this) is going to be the replay value. I mean there are nearly an endless amount of combinations that could happen from start to finish. I'm really looking forward to this.
R2.DETARD
there is this great video of Will W presenting the game, here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198&q=spore
it is half an hour long and if the video is addictive after the 1st 10 mins, imagine how addictive the game would be!!
Monkeydog
hodgenpodg wrote:

Thats kind of what I think too...it looks totally awesome though, like I was wowed by the Sims...but I never touched it again after being hooked to it for a week.
linkman2004
It looks awesome, but I'm holding out for the DS version. Wink Don't have the computer or hard drive space to run it anyway. Razz
Gieter
It looks nice, but I don't know about how deep the game goes, will they only cover one species that evolves, or wil there be lots of species evolving? Will your home-planet always be the same, or will they generate the environment too? Will the other planets and lifeforms be generated too? How much will the player actually be involved: will he be able to make a lot of choices or not? It could be a great game, a milestone in game history, but it also could be a normal game.
LukeakaDanish
This looks SO amazing...there is no word in any language that can describe how awesome it looks...

I can well imagine me getting no sleep for months over this...OMG!
DeadX
Gieter wrote:
It looks nice, but I don't know about how deep the game goes, will they only cover one species that evolves, or wil there be lots of species evolving?

All the species around you are evolving and the ones on other planets too. I've read somewhere in an interview that you can visit an planet, drop some creatures there and visit it again some hours later to see how they've evolved.

Gieter wrote:
Will your home-planet always be the same, or will they generate the environment too?

your home planet is also generated, there will also be an fora-editor where you can make your own plants to introduce to your world.

Gieter wrote:
Will the other planets and lifeforms be generated too?

The other lifeforms will come from the online database, planets can be generated or downloaded too.

Gieter wrote:
How much will the player actually be involved: will he be able to make a lot of choices or not?

When you are at the space-level you can upgrade your ufo so that you can terra-form planets, create creatures genetically and drop them where you want, you can make a zoo-planet with creatures you created, if you dont like a planet you can just blow it up (if you have the right tool for your ufo), you can make allies, enemy's (and they will attack you), ...
Seems to me as a lot of choices to make :p
darth_revan
http://www.gamershell.com/download_13738.shtml
49min ingame movie. it's not new.
and some sss:
http://www.3dgamers.com/tr/screenshots/games/spore/?o=3

The game will be good, will wright is creative and spore has no alternative now...

btw, the game will be online, and it'd be a MMORTS or MMORPG. But unlike the other games, it's said to be very fast, can be played without lag with 56K... i'm unsure about that Very Happy
DeadX
Actually, (if i'm not wrong), it's an MSO (massively single-player online). It's not multiplayer, you can't directly attack another person, but you can attack (and destroy) his planet that the game downloaded from the server, but the other players planet is controled by your computer and what you do on that planet has no effect on the other players planet.

When you play the game your creations (your creatures, buildings, ...) will be uploaded on the background to the server and the game searches on the server for creations to fill up your planet and make an balanced world, so the other creatures your see on the planet are creations of other players, but controled by your computer. So if your internet connection is slow it would just take longer to fill up your world.

I'm not sure about how the game handels the online part, it can also be trough an peer-to-peer network without an server. I've also read it's possible that the game will ship whith an database with an large amount of creations (creatures, buildings, ...) on it so you can even play the game without internet.
soldeinvierno
Mmm, I'm looking forward to that game. I watched a 30 minute video of Wright at the E3 and it's just amazing.

The link is: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198&q=spore

The video shows all the phases of the game and some cool editors. Take a look!
linexpert
thanks for the videos!

After watching the video I'm very amazed by the idea. It looks like a very creative game. It does seem like i'll get bored after playing for a couple weeks. Still looking forward to the game...Very Happy
Helios
Well, keep waiting.

The game will be out in 2007(i bet just before summer Razz).
j0zman
Our (Dutch) critics have been very negative about this game.
And so am I. It's too childish imho
Helios
j0zman wrote:
Our (Dutch) critics have been very negative about this game.
And so am I. It's too childish imho

It's a matter of personal opinion.
Plus, you haven't played it yet! How can you even tell what's wrong with it or what's right?

Lol, amazing, people here can see the future.
j0zman
I've seen the ingame footage. You are also buying a car for it's looks too right? And if I say the ingame footage is bad, I don't want to give it a go.
Plus, other people's opinions (like our critics) only confirm my opinion.
faker_phil
The Spore HP has been updated: http://www.spore.com/

Check out those ingame pictures!
Helios
j0zman, I agree 100%. If you don't like, don't buy it.

I'm, however, getting these game for free 10 days before the release.
If it's too bad, I'll write a review and that's it.
faker_phil
Helios wrote:

How did you manage that??
roadruner
i've heard of this game before adn i kinda liked the idea
now that i've seen te clips i can say it looks amazing(to say the least Wink )
but is it possible that they will end up making a product that will be great through the whole game :/
money hungry bastards can find a way to destroy even the most promissing games Razz
but so far they're doing a good job
Helios
faker_phil wrote:
Helios wrote:

All legal here Smile
I shouldn't really said 'free', I do pay some price for it, but it's not very high Razz
Anyway, you could have sent me a PM.

Back to topic.
faker_phil
Helios wrote:
faker_phil wrote:
Helios wrote:

All legal here Smile
I shouldn't really said 'free', I do pay some price for it, but it's not very high Razz
Anyway, you could have sent me a PM.

Back to topic.

lol, i didnt mean it that way Very Happy
I thought you were participating in some beta testing or something like that Wink
josh.duval
This game seems very contreversial. There will probably be a large group of people that become addicted to the game and totally own at everything on it, then the rest of the world that will get those small addictions most people get to japanese games. You just can't get enough, then out of nowhere it's as though you oculd care less about it. All I know is that the creaters are going to make alot of money from the way they described this game.
bonestorm74
Looks like a very good game and I hope they nail it. I will look forward to playing it when it comes out next year.
squeakypants
I can't wait for this. Up with all the Wii games I'm waiting for, I'll be buying it as soon as it goes on shelves.
Shake
Oh sure, yeah. I fell for this at first. No really, I can't wait for my planet to be invaded by evil loin creatures from another player's perverted world. The whole concept of letting players become artists is absurd. I don't like the concept because it won't work.
faker_phil
Shake wrote:
Oh sure, yeah. I fell for this at first. No really, I can't wait for my planet to be invaded by evil loin creatures from another player's perverted world. The whole concept of letting players become artists is absurd. I don't like the concept because it won't work.

Your planet cannot be invaded by another player. What you see as "other players" in the game, is merely a copy of their computer generated personality. As long as you don't set the difficulty to very hard, you won't have problems with being invaded. The only thing you get from other players is ideas and examples (buildings, races, etc.).
djsamsung
hhhmm.....

this game has impressed a lot of ppl and i hope it will become a modern classic. Moreover, lets hope it doesn't bore you after days or weeks of playing just like The Sims and may more expansions come throughout the following year!

Surprised
destructivenature
I can't wait until it comes out, I've watched the E3 video over and over and it nevers gets old. It's going to be amazing. One thing I'm really looking forward to is the fact that when you're not playing the AI is still making progress on your planet. It will be great for casual gamers that can't spend all their time in the game.
mtoni
I'll definetly try SPore.. I think that i will stop playing it after a few hours but i just wanna see how it works...

I see more future for Titan Quest Smile
trickstott
I really want to play Spore, but I must admit that I am even more interested in its appearance on the <a href="http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3479">Nintendo DS</a>. I look forward to the PC version, but I look forward to playing it during breaks from work or on the bus or train.

I have seen the E3 videos, and the game occasionally crawls on even a Dell XPS, so I wonder what will have to be taken our for a handheld version. Does anyone know?
nFuriate255
I've been following this game for quite awhile now (1year+) and I was hyped when I first heard about it. The E3 video promises a lot and it seems an incredibly good game. The only thing i'm worried about is the way it puts other player's species into your game, what if someone made a race of Homer Simpsons, it would ruin the style.
faker_phil
nFuriate255 wrote:
The only thing i'm worried about is the way it puts other player's species into your game, what if someone made a race of Homer Simpsons, it would ruin the style.

If that happens, just eradicate the Homer Simpsons race. Flatten their city, or, as you could see in the gameplay movie, just blow up their planet Twisted Evil
Helios
That's right. This game is very.. how to put it.. "elastic".
BTW, I've thought about a Homer Simpson race just after I had seen the video where W.R is speaking about the game Laughing

About the age: maybe it looks "childish" from the screenshots, but I don't think this game was ment for 12 yo gilrs(Sims, for example, is a girls' game, even though I've known some guys playing and enjoying it).
Spore's gameplay isn't suitable for kids, imo. I can't really explain why, but that's what I think.
Even after looking at some videos from the game, I'd rate it for 16 yo and up(maybe 14, but not lower).
If you're 20+ and you're complaining about any game being childish, you're right, lol. You should be working instead! Unless your work is playing games, of course Wink
Don't know about you, but I like playing games. My friend's father is 50 years old and he's still enjoying Max Payne Smile So it doesn't really depends on the age as much as it depends on the personallity. So to the poster who've said this game is childish, that's just your opinion, which cannot be right OR wrong atm, because no-one have even tried this game out yet.

So it can't really "impress" anyone at the moment simply because it's not out yet.

I will get the game ASAP and post my opinions here.
I believe my source will provide this one for me, because it supposed to be one of 2007's top games.
musthavesims
Everything that Maxis has ever made that I have played has been of great quality. I have always been a follower of TheSims series. I am actually the Sim/Geek guy in my school. But, this game looks like it might even be better. It has like SimCity and TheSims along with a bit of other Sim games all in one. This will be great.

P.S. to poster above
Many guys, including me, love the Sims.
djsamsung
musthavesims wrote:
Many guys, including me, love the Sims.

just reinstalled my sims, just got addicted again. LOL

lets hope Spore live up to it's expectations when it comes out. i will buy it ASAP when the game comes out.