FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2006 winter Olympics

OnlyOneLife
I'm surpirsed nobody's talking about the olympics... Theres nothing too much to say... The opening ceremony sucked... it did... I regert watching it... 3hrs of my life gone.

Torino, Italy
2006 winter olympics

NBC foucses soo much on the Americans.
Does anyone like the Olympic trumpets? I love Olympic music.
Olympics is going to be on prime time for the next 16 days... lol
If someone could make a better post about the olympics... I'll delete mine...
Soulfire
Well isn't NBC an American company? (Correct me if I'm wrong).
maclui
I would like to see more obout the olimpics but I have no time, besides I am complete ignorant in most of the sports but I enjoy some of them though.
I do not think this olimpics are for everyone.
OnlyOneLife
yes.... NBC is an american company.
prongs_386
well then expect every single sport that usa compete in to be put on television over any sport that other countries compete in.
nopaniers
Go Australia! Go Austria!

Hehehehehe... Australia won a gold medal, again! Not bad for a country of 20 million who are more likely to go surfing than skiing.
Lennon
I really like the ice-skating dancers, doing them do spins and land is outstanding.

I also like the new snowboarding games, the half-pipe was impressive.
nopaniers
Yep... Good to see that they're bringing in snowboarding events. I like all the downhill, cross country and biathlon. I'm not so excited by ice dancing.
hrtorrent
and I watch too!!!
Croatian alpine skiing Ivica Kostelic got silver medal in alpine combination - downhill + slalom. This is big suprise, couse Ivica lives last two years in sisters (Janica) shadow. No medals in skiing, big problems with injuries. And now is a hero! Olympic medal.

After big fall and knew surgery 2001. Ivica wrote in his notebook: "I will got olympic medal ... some day". And that day comes. Laughing
{name here}
The olypics, or any sports or races for that matter, seem to bore me.CNN seems to be much more interesting with today's events.
sunrise
Most of these events are never shown on tv and no one cares about them except when the winter Olympics take place every four years and I still don't care. There's no global diversity, just the European and North American teams basically. The summer olympics is a lot more fun with Asia, Africa, S. America, Europe, N. America, and Australia all involved. I can't wait for Beijing 2008, it'll be so much fun.
{name here}
sunrise wrote:
Most of these events are never shown on tv and no one cares about them except when the winter Olympics take place every four years and I still don't care. There's no global diversity, just the European and North American teams basically. The summer olympics is a lot more fun with Asia, Africa, S. America, Europe, N. America, and Australia all involved. I can't wait for Beijing 2008, it'll be so much fun.

Well, that's true...
hrtorrent
{name here} wrote:
sunrise wrote:

Well, that's true...

Thats not true, if you watch'd opening you can see many countries outside Europe and N. America. Japan, China, Korea, Brazil, some African countries, Australia... I'm from Croatia, small european country. Crotia was totaly outsider on Winter Olympic, even in any winter sport, and then come Janica and Ivica Kostelic. Janica take 3 gold and 1 silver medal in Salt Like City and today take another gold medal. Ivica take silver medal few days ago. Now we have more than 20 sportsmen at this Olympic games.
Many other outsider country's see Croatia as rule model, for example: 16 years old Chile skiing girl which come from very very poor family has Janica as rule model and she's now at Olympic games. She walk 16km every day to take skiing training. Olympic spirit is something great!
lyndonray
i am not suprised they are the worst winter olypics. There wasn't a huge scandal building up to them like in Salt Lake City. Some of the events have been cool like where they see who can ski down the hill fastest - whatever that's called!! you see that's another reason they suck: too many events people don't know.

But honestly one event that i can't decide whether is retarded or hillarious or just downright pointless is CURLING. What is that and who came up with it and why?
raxo
Yes! We Estonians have won 3 gold medals!

Not bad for a small country Razz
nopaniers
Nicely done Estonia!
teamkr
here the uk we are having a great one,,,

in alpine skiiing we had our best result finishing 11th..

we won silver in the even where you lay on a tray and throw yourself down an ice tube,,,,wow....

i think we are fight for a bronze medal in the mens curling...

why are we so pants ? i meant sure we dont have snow or much ice here..

but still ... we could do alittle better,,

anyway.. always next time....maybe
ternoah
I'm a bit disappointed normally the Netherlands would win a few gold medals on the ice skating distance but not this year. There where some promising new comers. Still we won a few medals which is good for a small country as the Netherlands
ylmun
To bring it back to how NBC is an american company, I am always disgusted with its US centric coverage. Yes, I know that the people watching NBC are probably only interested in the athletes from the US, but I thought the woman's figure skating competition was uncalled for.

A japanese woman won the gold for the first time and all the announcers could focus on was how Sasha Cohen fought bravely after her two falls. Two falls?!?! There are some women who go through entire competitions without even falling once. Fought bravely? Give me a break, she knew she lost the gold, so all the pressure was off and she just finished her free skate.

And then during the playing of the japanese national anthem during the medals ceremony, the cameras did closeups mostly on Sasha Cohen and once or twice on Irina Sluskaya. They didn't even do a shot of the gold medalist till the end!

Ok, thanks for listening to me vent.

Don't get me started on Johnny Weir and Bode!
billingsniteowl
Well, I work for NBC. The way I see it, with co many cable and sattelite channels, sat radio, internet, there is so much to tune into. I miss the old days where you could watch olympic coverage almost 24/7. Now you have to have enough cable, sat and internet going to see it all. And depending on your country, odd hours of coverage too.
jveezy
ylmun wrote:
Don't get me started on Johnny Weir and Bode!

The media was a joke for the way they ate up all that Bode crap and barfed it all up to feed to the rest of us. In skiing circles, the guy wasn't even regarded as the best American skiier.

And considering most of this stuff was not live and NBC can pretty much broadcast these any time they want, THEY MIGHT WANT TO BROADCAST THESE EVENTS SO THEIR VIEWERS DON'T HAVE TO STAY UP UNTIL MIDNIGHT TO WATCH THEM!

IF THEY'RE SO CONCERNED ABOUT RATINGS, MAYBE THEY SHOULD BROADCAST THESE EVENTS DURING TIME SLOTS WHEN PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY AWAKE TO WATCH THEM!
ylmun
jveezy wrote:
And considering most of this stuff was not live and NBC can pretty much broadcast these any time they want, THEY MIGHT WANT TO BROADCAST THESE EVENTS SO THEIR VIEWERS DON'T HAVE TO STAY UP UNTIL MIDNIGHT TO WATCH THEM!

I don't know if they did anything wrong about the times they aired their olympic coverage. 8PM is still considered prime time and they provided at least 4 hours of Olympic coverage daily.

So I don't fault them for broadcasting until midnight because the only other option would be to cut the amount of airtime they gave to the Olympics. You could watch the coverage on their affiliated stations like CNBC, etc. They broadcast olympic coverage at earlier times.

Now if you want to stay up late, try catching the re-broadcast at 1:30 in the morning. I wish I wasn't such an Olympics junkie.