FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hosting Signups?

Shake
Hi. I've been wanting to sign up for a cPanel account for the last few days and I was wondering why the signups are disabled and on which day they would be available again. Can someone tell me when you will be accepting signups? Thanks in advance. Very Happy
Animal
Shake wrote:
Hi. I've been wanting to sign up for a cPanel account for the last few days ...

FriHost are not accepting any more applications for hosting on Server 1 (it uses cPanel) since it is full. All new accounts are on Server 2 which uses Direct Admin.

Shake wrote:
Can someone tell me when you will be accepting signups? Thanks in advance. Very Happy

The current line is that "New requests won't be accepted till mid february" and nobody other than the site owner (Bondings) knows exactly when that will be. All I would suggest is that you be patient - Frihost is an excellent free web hosting solution, and you should be able to get an account when they are being accepted again in the near future.
Shake
That's a huge disappointment. I don't know if I can use DirectAdmin.
Is DirectAdmin anything like cPanel and does it have all the features?
I hear it lacks a lot, especially for forums and databases and such.
dan751
It's lacking Fantastico. DirectAdmin has a much cleaner interface than that of cPanel. Besides, it's better to learn how to install forums and such on your own, that's how you really learn. Wink
Shake
Thanks Dan. I hate Fantastico sometimes, but I have had problems with getting Simple Machines forums to install before. I have another question. Is myBB allowed to be installed? And are there any other limitations with using DirectAdmin? Shocked
eznet
I cannot compare the two as I only briefly used cPanel. I can however say that DirectAdmin is very intuite and easy to use. I do not know that it can really be any easier to use than it is. I started using it here with no experience what so ever and have no problem navigating in it and getting the things done that I want to accomplish. Since the server crash a week or two ago they have installed an updated version of DirectAdmin (1.26.2) and it is much like working within an task specific OS, there is little chnce of error or trouble. I know that there are not really tangeble examples in this pro-DirectAdmin message but I can assure you, it has a low learning curve... If I can do it, a monkey can do it, so if you cannot use it contact the person you have turn your computer on for you (Joke... it really is as easy as turning the computer on though...nearly...).

Ez
n0obie4life
Shake wrote:
Thanks Dan. I hate Fantastico sometimes, but I have had problems with getting Simple Machines forums to install before. I have another question. Is myBB allowed to be installed? And are there any other limitations with using DirectAdmin? Shocked

Okay, lettme just use my favourite quotes again..

Directadmin is more stable.
Less bugs.
Cheaper.
Simplier.
Less System Intensive

Fantastico is very easy to use but it has a lot of disadvantages. People are installing all available software, just for trying it out. They then forget to remove them. So then it occupies a lot of disk space and generates a lot of cpu-usage, certainly when someone makes a backup of 200MB Wink.

Directadmin does NOT lose out on any features you may have in cPanel as far as I know. Sometimes, it has it better Wink. Also, if you think a feature is "missing" in Directadmin, it may be embedded somewhere.

One example is mySQL Databases, to make your mySQL user, it's built into the mySQL Database creation Wink. Saves you nice one step from cPanel.

Of course, the file manager is one of the best I've seen, well, I won't tell you more Smile.

And yes, you may use myBBoard.
CatBox
I use both.

The main attraction with CPanel is that it has tons and tons of features. But as with anything big, it gets cluttered.

DirectAdmin on the other hand is smaller, neat and loads faster. It's interface is much neater that that of CPanel.

There's no real diffrence in features between the two other than a few misic stuff Fantastico ,web traffic monitors etc missing from DirectAdmin.
Shake
Great. That sounds great, thanks a ton.
Going to love a clean file manager for once! Very Happy
Bondings
I closed the new requests because of 1) the server crash, 2) a very long waiting queue and 3) I want to do some scripting and the database changes are easier with the requests closed.

I'll try to reopen it this week, but it will most likely be for the next one I guess.
Shake
Alright, cool-Thanks Bondings. I have one more question. What kind of subdomain do you get being on server 2?
Bondings
Shake wrote:
Alright, cool-Thanks Bondings. I have one more question. What kind of subdomain do you get being on server 2?

It will be your-choice.frih.net with at least 3 characters and not already taken or censored.
Shake
You are all extremely helpful, thank you so much. I'll be waiting eagerly for the hosting signups to reopen!

P.S. Go ahead and close this topic if you want. Rolling Eyes
PuppetMaster
exelente aporte, me gusto muhco Very Happy
shadedflame
Yay so I can finnally get my site within this week? w00t!