FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Legality of MP3 site

Phil
I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this topic, but I'm very curious about a particular MP3 site, but I guess it may well aaply to many others.
http://www.allofmp3.com/ is a site I came across with just ungodly cheap prices to download music. It's a Russian site, and from the couple of articles I've looked at about this site, it's very legal, at least in the Russian sense of the word.
I'm just wondering if there's anything wrong with this site.
hodgenpodg
umm it might be legal in russia but if your in the US or some other country other than Russia you might wanna look at some local rules and see what they are
Jayfarer
I think I heard about them being okay.

But don't go to any other of those fancy free music/movie sites. All they do is charge you for a BitComet and access to Bittorrent sites that are already free, and not legal at all, despite what they say.
neosree
Is there any affrodable and legal MP3 download site? Napster is not affordable at all for Indians like me. Did anybody know any legal site with tons of muic files to download in unlimited no.s
SunburnedCactus
It is legal yes, due to the Russian-ness. I wouldn't count on them for quality service though, and I personally am not keen on giving them my credit card details. I'd rather pay a bit more for piece of mind.
nakamaru
I think they are legal only in Russia. I think once the songs are sent here they are illegal. I'm not sure about this but I heard it somewhere.
nakamaru
Wikipedia has a nice article on the site. Type in Allofmp3 on their site search and you can learn all about their legality.
blackheart
I can't guarantee that this is the case - but I's say this is probably another morally wrong but somehow legal site, that gains access to music/movies through legal loopholes...

Generally it's better not to support sites like this - and I mean, for $20 you could probably find a site with better credentials and values, that isn't ripping of the artists you love and respect.

(How-ever, I'll admit I've downloaded my fair share of music that I shouldn't have.)
Phil
blackheart wrote:
I can't guarantee that this is the case - but I's say this is probably another morally wrong but somehow legal site, that gains access to music/movies through legal loopholes...

You know, that's my biggest concern. Is the money going to the artists? (or I guess the holders of the copyrights). I'm really looking for classical music. I wonder who has the copyrights for Bach and Mozart?
Animal
nakamaru wrote:
I think they are legal only in Russia. I think once the songs are sent here they are illegal. I'm not sure about this but I heard it somewhere.

You're correct. Russian law does not cover digital media, so the companies like the website mentioned above are only charging you per megabyte you download. Copyright laws still apply in the US and EU (and other countries, I'm sure) that do not allow you to do this.

The way to think of it is in general terms:
A Russian person steals a TV, moves it across a border so he's in a legal grey-area. He then sells you the TV. The TV is still stolen, so you have purchased stolen goods. (I'm not bashing the Russians here - this could apply to any nationality!)

It's the same principles with the music. It is as illegal for you to buy and download the music from a Russian site as it is for you to download from a P2P network or copy from a friend - none of the money is going to the artist or record company.
ainieas
neosree wrote:
Is there any affrodable and legal MP3 download site? Napster is not affordable at all for Indians like me. Did anybody know any legal site with tons of muic files to download in unlimited no.s

coolgoose. You might want to check it out. I think its Indian.
jeffleo
( I'm not sure whether this is legal, but their Database is amazing. They have tonnes of songs to download ) www.mp3fusion.net If it's illegal, then report them? =x