FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

explorer.exe

peanutz
hi !

each time i lauch internet, my computer freeze during at least 3 minutes ! i know it comes from the processus 'explorer.exe'... how can i fix that ?

thanx for your answers !

xxxx
Josso
Try doing Spyware/Ad-ware/Virus scans first before you do anything else.
peanutz
Josso wrote:
Try doing Spyware/Ad-ware/Virus scans first before you do anything else.

well i did run Pest Patrol... i have some ad-wares but they're ok i think, it's like .. whenUsave type of thing

do you think this can be the cause of it ?
aardvark
You could try removing Internet Explorer and reinstalling:

Control Panel : Add or Remove Programmes : Add/Remove Windows Components

Also do you get the same problem if you use another browser such as Firefox?
peanutz
but i didn't try since the last upgrade..

i haven't tried yet with another browser, that's a great idea !
firefox is a good one ?
Animal
aardvark wrote:
You could try removing Internet Explorer and reinstalling:

This is incorrect - explorer.exe has nothing to do with Internet Explorer. explorer.exe is the Windows program that makes the start menu, desktop and other parts of Windows work. It is likely that there is some conflict being caused by another program you have installed.

Firstly, you are correct to run an Ad-Ware scan, you should also run a virus scan and see if there is anything suspicious on your computer.
Secondly, look in your Taskbar - are there a lot of programs runing in the bottom-right of your screen? Hit the < icon to unhide any programs you can't see. If there are a lot of things running here, they could possibly be causing the problem. Try to uninstall or disable any programs that run in the task bar that you do not need (just make sure your Firewall and Anti-Virus do load!).
The next step is to check if any other programs are running that you don't need - go to START > PROGRAMS > STARTUP and remove anything from this menu that you don't use every time you start your computer.

This may help solve your problem, but it also may not. I would suggest that you check in your Add/Remove Programs menu for any "Toolbars" for Internet Explorer - very few of these offer any major advantage and if you have two or more trying to load at the same time, they could cause a problem.

A quick tip for you though: If explorer does crash, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, then select the SERVICES tab. Find "explorer.exe" and end the task, then go to FILE > NEW TASK (RUN) and type "explorer" then hit return. This will restart explorer and should recover the crash.

If you can't find the software conflict however, the only way to fix the problem is by reinstalling Windows. This is a major step, so I wouldn't consider it unless you had exhausted all other possibilities.

Hope this helps Very Happy
FarZin
New Internet Browser Arrow new Virus programm Arrow reinstall Wind00f and all is good Laughing
Nyizsa
And make sure that you use only one antivirus program at a time! My friend once tried to install 2 of them "for more safety", but then it took ages for Windows to start.
peanutz
Animal wrote:
Firstly, you are correct to run an Ad-Ware scan, you should also run a virus scan and see if there is anything suspicious on your computer.

thanx. i did run a virus scan too (avast!) and it found nothing. Actually before i had AVG set up and it was awful, i had to wait at least 5 mn to connect to internet by clicking on the internet explorer icon. Since i installed Avast! things are a little better but i still have to wait at least 2 mn, then everything's allright.

Animal wrote:
Secondly, look in your Taskbar - are there a lot of programs runing in the bottom-right of your screen? Hit the < icon to unhide any programs you can't see. If there are a lot of things running here, they could possibly be causing the problem. Try to uninstall or disable any programs that run in the task bar that you do not need (just make sure your Firewall and Anti-Virus do load!).

In the task bar i have : avast!, pestpatrol control terminal,media source player Creative,deamon tools,dslmon. which one shall i remove ?

Animal wrote:
The next step is to check if any other programs are running that you don't need - go to START > PROGRAMS > STARTUP and remove anything from this menu that you don't use every time you start your computer.!.

I used Jv16 Power Tools to disable programs. What is left : pestpatrol, creative detector, ctfmon.exe (no idea what it is), cookie patrol, ppMemCheck.exe
i can't find the folder in the regedit program.. do you know where is it ?

Animal wrote:
This may help solve your problem, but it also may not. I would suggest that you check in your Add/Remove Programs menu for any "Toolbars" for Internet Explorer - very few of these offer any major advantage and if you have two or more trying to load at the same time, they could cause a problem.

for example the yahoo toolbar ?

Animal wrote:
A quick tip for you though: If explorer does crash, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, then select the SERVICES tab. Find "explorer.exe" and end the task, then go to FILE > NEW TASK (RUN) and type "explorer" then hit return. This will restart explorer and should recover the crash.
yes i know about that. but in my case this solution doesn't work ! i press ctrl alt sup like ten times, and when my computer "wakes up", ten windows of the task manager appear on the screen !

Animal wrote:
If you can't find the software conflict however, the only way to fix the problem is by reinstalling Windows. This is a major step, so I wouldn't consider it unless you had exhausted all other possibilities.
i did that once too, it took me the whole day to reinstall it all. and yes, at first, everything was ok.. but after some updates it all started again.

i think i'm going to remove the yahoo toolbar and may be use firefow to see what's going on.
thanx for your help !
Nyizsa
It would be useful if you posted a list about your running processes. (Select the second tab in Task manager - if you are patient enough to wait for it to be activated... Smile ) Some of us may be able to pick the ones that shouldn't be running.
peanutz
Nyizsa wrote:
It would be useful if you posted a list about your running processes. (Select the second tab in Task manager - if you are patient enough to wait for it to be activated... Smile ) Some of us may be able to pick the ones that shouldn't be running.

ok here they are !
CTdetect.exe
PPMemCheck.exe
CookiePatrol.exe
ctfmon.exe
ashDisp.exe
taskmgr.exe
SOUNDMAN.EXE
PPControl.exe
spoolsv.exe
rundll32.exe
CTSysVol.exe
wdfmgr.exe
svchost.exe
snmp.exe
slee81.exe
tcpsvcs.exe
dslmon.exe
inetinfo.exe
CTSVCCDA.EXE
ashServ.exe
aswUpdSv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
ati2evxx.exe
alg.exe
ashWebSv.exe
Isass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
ashMaiSv.exe
smss.exe
ati2evxx.exe
explorer.exe
firefox.exe
System
Processus inactif du système
Animal
CTdetect.exe -> This is used for a Creative mp3 player. If you still use it, allow this to run. If you don't use your mp3 player, you can remove it.
PPMemCheck.exe -> Part of Pest Patrol to stop spyware running.
CookiePatrol.exe -> Again, PestPatrol's cookie monitor. You actually could stop these from running and it would speed up your computer, but you'd need to remember to clean out your cookies and run spyware scans more often.
ctfmon.exe -> Part of MS Office
ashDisp.exe -> Part of Avast
taskmgr.exe -> This is the CTRL+ALT+DEL Screen
SOUNDMAN.EXE -> installed with Sound cards made by Realtek. This process merely places an icon on the system tray for easy access to diagnostic features. Could be disabled if you wanted, but not really necessary.
PPControl.exe -> Part of Pest Patrol
spoolsv.exe -> Windows spooling service - you need this.
rundll32.exe -> Windows System service - you need this.
CTSysVol.exe -> Creative system volume control icon in your taskbar. If you disable this, sound may not work properly.
wdfmgr.exe -> Part of Windows Media Player 10. Not required, but unlikely to be causing problems.
svchost.exe -> Windows System service - essential.
snmp.exe -> Windows LAN process and is used to protect network security. Don't disable this unless you never use your LAN connection.
slee81.exe -> Steganos safe (or security suite) process for Live Encryption. The safe will not work if you terminate this process.
tcpsvcs.exe -> Windows Networking Component.
dslmon.exe -> dslmon.exe is a process associated with the Sagem DSL Modem. This process is used for detecting the modem and should not be removed.
inetinfo.exe -> Windows Server debugging tool.
CTSVCCDA.EXE -> Creative CD Rom Service - not required unless you use Media Source regularly.
ashServ.exe -> Avast Anti-Virus, don't terminate this.
aswUpdSv.exe -> Avast update service, again, don't terminate this.
svchost.exe}
svchost.exe}
svchost.exe} -> Windows System Service, required.
svchost.exe}
svchost.exe}

ati2evxx.exe -> Adds additional configuration options for your graphics card. Not really necessary unless you're a power user.
alg.exe -> Part of Windows. Don't disable it.
ashWebSv.exe -> Avast Web Scanner. Don't disable it.
Isass.exe -> Verify if this is "isass.exe" or "Lsass.exe". If it is iass.exe, disable it immediately - this is a fairly potent virus. If it is Lass.exe, this is a Windows component and should not be disabled.
services.exe -> Critical Windows System Service, don't disable.
winlogon.exe -> Fast user switching component. Don't disable this, but if you don't use fast user switching, you can turn it off from the control panel.
csrss.exe -> Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. This process manages most graphical commands in Windows.
ashMaiSv.exe -> Part of Avast. Don't disable.
smss.exe - Critical System process. Don't disable.
ati2evxx.exe -> Adds additional configuration options for your graphics card. Not really necessary unless you're a power user.
explorer.exe -> Windows Explorer. Makes your desktop, folders and start menu work.
firefox.exe -> Firefox web browser. Should only be running if you have firefox open. If not, uninstall and reinstall firefox.
System -> Windows system. Don't touch this.
Processus inactif du système -> System Idle Process. This stops your processor overheating or overworking when nothing is using it. This protects your hardware, so don't touch it.

There's nothing really suspicious here. You could try disabling Yahoo Toolbar, but if the problem only happens when you use Internet Explorer, then this would be an excellent reason to switch to Firefox and use it as your default browser.

The only thing I wonder about is your Spyware and Anti-Virus monitoring. They seem to be quite intrusive processes and I wonder if they are slowing down your computer. I'd never recommend that you disable your anti-virus program, but you could disable real-time spyware protection and cookie control. Just remember to clear out, or better yet, disable all unwanted cookies (this is really easy to do in Firefox), and run your spyware scanner manually about once a week.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions.

Very Happy
James007
Quote:
Isass.exe -> Verify if this is "iass.exe" or "Lass.exe".

You mean isass.exe or lsass.exe?

(Stupid word filter :p *** means a s s )
Animal
James007 wrote:

You mean is***.exe or ls***.exe?

Good spot! Consider it edited, cheers.

I would have thought you could get away with saying
James007 wrote:
a s s

It's hardly offensive. But hey, I can't really complain! Smile
madcap
Try running SFC System File Check. On Win 98 it is in accessories (if my memory serves me)

On XP Start Rum type cmd and return

sfc /SCANONCE this will scan all protected system files once the next time you boot. It will or should give you the ability to restore then from windows cd.

Alternatively if you are using XP or ME try stsem restore to a point when it did work okay.

If you have to reinstall windows after the clean install you could use a program like Acronis True Image to make a image of your hard drive, makes life so much easier in the future. I got it from a Magazine dvd.

Pete
peanutz
thanx a lot ! i'll try it.

i installed firefox, deleted some softwares that started once i logged on, and now the problem has changed.. i have an error 736 when i try to connect to internet
(le protocole de liaison PPP a été arrêté). no idea how to translate that !
i try at least ten times, or unplug and then plug my usb modem, and it works.

but my computer don't freeze anymore.. it's getting better !

thanx again everyone !
Animal
peanutz wrote:
(le protocole de liaison PPP a été arrêté). no idea how to translate that!

Roughly, this means "The PPP transfer protocol is stopped" (although apologies for my rust French if this is not quite accurate Wink)

PPP is to do with your networking connection - by disabling something that starts up with your computer (for example a wireless card control device or a network interface controller) you may have inadvertently disabled PPP. Windows should be able to work without the third-party software though, so all is not lost.

Try opening your network connections properties by going to START > SETTINGS > NETWORK CONNECTIONS, then right-click on your internet connection and select PROPERTIES.

Under "This connection uses the following items" check if PPP has a check beside it - if not, put a check next to it. If PPP is not there, click INSTALL... > PROTOCOL > PPP and see if this works.

If this doesn't help, try reinstalling the drivers for the modem / network card you use to access the internet.

If this doesn't work either, let me know and I'll try to do a bit of research for you.

Hope this helps Very Happy
peanutz
thanx for your help, i'll try to re-insall (again) the modem drivers.

i admit i haven't thought of the network card drivers though.. is it included on my motherboard ? (asusP4P800E Deluxe)

now i have the message when i log off, i have to end the task of "XPCOM.EventReceiver"
what's that ?

i'll let you know after i re-install the drivers.

thanx thanx thanx
Animal
I'm not sure if your network card is on-board or not, you would need to check that yourself. Instead of reinstalling your modem drivers, you could also try "rolling back" the driver.

XPCOM.EventReceiver is actually part of the Firefox web browser. It seems that the problem you are experiencing is that your computer is not ending tasks completely. Occesionally, Windows can't shut down a task properly before shut down so you can either do it manually or wait the 15 secs for Windows to force-close it. Don't worry about this error if it has only happened once or twice, but if it happens a lot, the most effective way to fix it will probably be to reinstall your OS. You could spend weeks/months/days trying to locate the problem software and fix it, where if you have a free Saturday, you could completely reformat your computer, start with a fresh install of Windows and remove all your problems. It's a pain, it does seem like using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut, but this is virtually guaranteed to fix most Windows system software related problems.
peanutz
ok i think i'll take time to reinstall my OS i guess
but...
what does mean to "roll back" the driver ?

thanx for your help ! it helped !
Laughing
Animal
peanutz wrote:

This will remove the current driver and reinstall the previous driver used for the hardware. This is good functionality since many problems are caused by new drivers.

To roll back your driver, you need to open up your Device Manager, find the modem / network card, right-click on it and hit properties. Under the "Driver" tab there is a "Roll-Back" option.

Hope you manage to get this fixed

Very Happy
TheGeek
what are your computer specs by the way? I was wondering from the sound of it if you are simply really low on resources with your machine and when you try to open IE if your computer just gets bogged down so much that it crashes.

try going Start->run->msconfig->Enter and then click the startup tab, look through there for things that you dont recognize or dont want to start up when your computer starts up and then hit ok and restart, this will hopefully free up some memory if the memory happens to be the problem.
peanutz
TheGeek wrote:
what are your computer specs by the way? I was wondering from the sound of it if you are simply really low on resources with your machine and when you try to open IE if your computer just gets bogged down so much that it crashes.

try going Start->run->msconfig->Enter and then click the startup tab, look through there for things that you dont recognize or dont want to start up when your computer starts up and then hit ok and restart, this will hopefully free up some memory if the memory happens to be the problem.

i don't know if there are things i can remove there...
PPControl
PPMemCheck
CookiePatrol
TempTool
jusched
rundll32
RunDll32 sbusbdll
UpdReg
CTSysVol
ashDisp
SOUNDMAN
ctfmon
Adobe Gamma Loader
DSLMON

i think all is ok, right ?
peanutz
Animal wrote:
peanutz wrote:

To roll back your driver, you need to open up your Device Manager, find the modem / network card, right-click on it and hit properties. Under the "Driver" tab there is a "Roll-Back" option.
Very Happy

i couldn't do that, because there were no previous driver installed.
but i found something interested there... one driver was disabled (Marwell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller).
my modem is usb, so i thought it was not important... but apparently it is ?
since i reactivated it, when i log on in the system tray the icon means "one cable is unplugged" (un câble réseau est débranché)

should i remove this driver ?
Animal
peanutz wrote:

PPControl
PPMemCheck
CookiePatrol
TempTool
jusched
rundll32
RunDll32 sbusbdll
UpdReg
CTSysVol
ashDisp
SOUNDMAN
ctfmon
Adobe Gamma Loader
DSLMON

i think all is ok, right ?

There's nothing bad there, but you could safely stop TempTool, Jusched and Adobe Gamma Loader from loading at startup - these are non-essential.

peanutz wrote:
should i remove this driver ?

No.

The driver being disabled is very different to the driver being uninstalled. To disable the driver safely, go to START > SETTINGS > NETWORK CONNECTIONS then right-click on your ethernet connection and select DISABLE. This will stop the icon appearing in your taskbar but it will allow you to re-enable it any time you need to use the ethernet connection.
peanutz
Animal wrote:
The driver being disabled is very different to the driver being uninstalled. To disable the driver safely, go to START > SETTINGS > NETWORK CONNECTIONS then right-click on your ethernet connection and select DISABLE. This will stop the icon appearing in your taskbar but it will allow you to re-enable it any time you need to use the ethernet connection.

ok i knew that but... is it normal that when i disable it the 734 error (he PPP transfer protocol is stopped) appears ? or just coincidence ?

i forgot to say that i have two accounts to log in, an administrator one and another user one.
when i login with the user one, and this driver is disabled, it works.
when i login with the administrator one, and this driver is disabled, it doesn't work !
why god why ?

is there a problem of resources or what ?

i guess i'll just let the ethernet driver enabled...
Animal
peanutz wrote:
when i login with the user one, and this driver is disabled, it works.
when i login with the administrator one, and this driver is disabled, it doesn't work !
why god why ?

This is a strange one... never heard of that happening before. Try enabling it under Admin, then log-out and log back in, see if it works then. If not, this could highlight the problem. If it doesn't work, make a System Restore Point, uninstall the driver and install a new one while logged in as administrator. Restart your computer, then see if it works.

peanutz wrote:
is there a problem of resources or what ?

i guess i'll just let the ethernet driver enabled...

To be honest, I don't know what's causing this. It could be a simple software conflict, or it could be a more deep-seated problem with Windows files - I really don't know. It could potentially be a hardware problem too, so try fixing the software and if that doesn't work, you may want to look into a new network card, but it really coulb be anything.
alemci_49
Animal
alemci_49 wrote:

This automatically reverts the driver to an older (previously installed) version. This is specifically provided for times when new drivers cause problems with your computer.
Tvis
I did all the things people said about this topic, nothing worked. Eventually I formatted my computer and after that I did not have the problem anymore. I wanted to format anyway because it was getting a little slow. So I'm happy again.
gail1367
Hi all,

Could someone please tell me if there is anything suspicious looking here:

avgupsvc.exe
avgamsvr.exe
ctfmon.exe
avgcc.exe
mounter.exe
VTTrayp.exe
VTTimer.exe
jusched.exe
SMax4.exe
SMax4PNP.exe
explorer.exe
alg.exe
spoolsv.exe
lsass.exe
outlook.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
firefox.exe
SMAgent.exe
MDM.exe

firefox uses around 160.000 k mem almost doing nothing and tends to freeze alot.

Thanks
Gail
tamilchild
I dont know about the process details Laughing Laughing
quartz
try HijackThis http://www.hijackthis.de/