FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How close have you come to death?

SkullPizza
I just wanna know! Lets hear some near death experiences! I personally have stared death in the face about three times! Two times it involved a motorvehicle in some fashion.

Please elaborate! Was it a slow death you were watching come at you and can do nothing to stop it kind of thing. Or was a momentary flash of chance that nearly ripped you from the mortal coil?!

I got hit by a car while riding my bike, and on another occasion I was driving home from work and skid out of control on a four lane highway.

In both these instances I didn't really have time to be scared until after the fact. I was pushed into action and instinct took over at that point.

The third time I almost died I don't wish to discuss but needless to say it was one where I could comprehend my demise before it happened.... I eventually found the whole affair of my death rather... strange. Just contemplating my strange life and how it was to end in such an odd way. I found myself wondering what was going to happen after I die. I, being a strong agnostic, almost found a certain macabre thrill in these thoughts.

Lets hear some of yours.
NGRU-Kamikazie
Last summer, I flipped over the handelbars on my bicycle. Normally this isnt bad except I was on the board walk and flipped down the stairs, 10-12, and landed in the street. A car swirved and missed by 1-2 feet. Wound up with no broken bones luckily, but I had this huge chunk of my elbow, and cuts all over the side of my chest, leg, and face.
Saber
Well the one time I Came close to death was when my family was remodeling our bathroom. Now normaly bathrooms have different wireing due to the hair dryers and such... any ways, we had just finished putting in extra wireing, The bathroom was still working, so like a normal person I was using the bathroom. After I finished I didnt have a towl to dry off my hands and when I leftthe room I reached back in to turn off the switch.... zap..... The next thing I remember is my family trying to get me in our car to get me checked up... I dont remember much.. and I didnt have feeling in my right side for a day or two.

Yah..
SkullPizza
Nice! Sounds traumatic!
xorcist
I got hit by a car on my bike when I was riding it by my house one day. It wasnt my motocycle or anything, But the guy looked like he was just going to leave because he wasnt comming out of the car or anything to see if I was ok but I just walked off and went home and went to sleep. This other time was when I got hit by a metal bat when I was little I was bleeding all over the house and noone was home but I knew I wasnt going to die form just getting hit but I went to sleep after that and went to the doctor the next morning and he was like you could have died because you just went to sleep after that or get a concussion something like that.
SkullPizza
xorcist wrote:
I got hit by a car on my bike when I was riding it by my house one day. It wasnt my motocycle or anything, But the guy looked like he was just going to leave because he wasnt comming out of the car or anything to see if I was ok but I just walked off and went home and went to sleep. This other time was when I got hit by a metal bat when I was little I was bleeding all over the house and noone was home but I knew I wasnt going to die form just getting hit but I went to sleep after that and went to the doctor the next morning and he was like you could have died because you just went to sleep after that or get a confussion something like that.

I think you mean concussion.
NGRU-Kamikazie
No, not concussion. A blow to the had+ blood loss can mean shock. Expecially if he was able to go to sleep then he was in shock. Sleepign when your body is in shock increases your chance of dieing or go into a coma as you are borderline of unconshious.
Eyre
one time when i was skateboarding i fell extremely bad and hit my head. I went unconcious and had to be brought to the hospital. I guess i lost lot's of blood. I also broke my helmet in half, so i fell pretty hard.

My friend got jumped from a gang and they stabbed him and just barely missed his heart.
SkullPizza
NGRU-Kamikazie wrote:
No, not concussion. A blow to the had+ blood loss can mean shock. Expecially if he was able to go to sleep then he was in shock. Sleepign when your body is in shock increases your chance of dieing or go into a coma as you are borderline of unconshious.

ummm he said confussion.... i imagine he meant concussion.....
horseatingweeds
I went into renal failure after a medical procedure once. I was so sick I went beyond the feeling of sick.

Another time, when I was learning ski diving I opened my shoot a little late. Then it opened slowly and I think narrowly missed a malfunction. By the time I decelerated I was so close to the ground I had to land is some body’s field. The fellows decided to hop in the truck to come fetch me up.
Srs2388
well I have been close to being killed more than once...
cars nearly hitting me (prolly trying to hit me because they had it to the floor)
this happened not to long ago
ummm
had been shot at nearly got jumped (they were all twice my age and height i was defending my little brother)
one of them had a gun from what I hear
God has blessed me not to be dead
TonkPilz
hmmm.. i guess my cloesest near death experiences whas opening a can of bullens pilsner korv (korv=sausage Very Happy ) that whas about 1 year old

Or runing in to a street light watchig somting... female Embarassed
SkullPizza
TonkPilz wrote:
hmmm.. i guess my cloesest near death experiences whas opening a can of bullens pilsner korv (korv=sausage Very Happy ) that whas about 1 year old

Or runing in to a street light watchig somting... female Embarassed

funny! but you know it's funny. i actually sought out near death experiences because i didn't think i would have a life worth living if i didn't take risks.
TonkPilz
SkullPizza wrote:

funny! but you know it's funny. i actually sought out near death experiences because i didn't think i would have a life worth living if i didn't take risks.

i tink u can have a life worth living whit out killing your self Wink
SkullPizza
oh i agree, but not a life worth living without taking risks.
TonkPilz
agreed
but if opening a one year old can of bullens pilsner korv (korv=sausage Very Happy ) isent taking a risk the what is. if you ever smel'd the smel of fermented Baltic herring (sur ströming) you know what i mean Very Happy
frozenhead
Well, I cheated death (once) when I was in highschool. I was a member of the basketball varsity way back then. We have a crucial game with another school, to cut the story short, during the game, my body was out-balanced and knocked my head onto the floor when I tried to cut into the other team's defense to lay the ball.

Injuries:
- a broken left forearm.
- a twisted left thumb.
- my head was knocked so hard (my brain is like being "shake made" into a blender, so lucky I didn't get a hemorage).

I stayed in the hospital for almost 3 months (almost a coma with these odd dreams).

That was 7 years ago.
madsencarl
I almost got hit by a tram (common in Australia). Was about to walk straight into the 90-tonne speeding piece of metal when some lady grabbed me and yelled "tram!". Funny.
nt4836
closest to death i've ever been was next to my sister Laughing
no, probably falling off a tree, yeah, well, i gotta go for now, i'm trying to get enough points and stuff, c ya!
SkullPizza
C'mon points hore, gimmie a good story.
ainieas
I was in a bus when a bomb exploded just a few metres in front of the bus. Soon there was all chaos, people running everywhere and police sirens blazing everywhere. Actually it happened last month. To tell the truth, I was scared. But the police was really quick in responding and it wasn't that scary for me after that.
Blaster
I don't think I came as close as you. But I fliped my 4 wheeler and it rolled over me. My life flashed before my eyes. Things like that are strange I think.
PureSimpleNatural
It was winter, and there was alot of snow. I was maybe about 7 or 8 at the time. Anyways, I was jumping off the side rails of my dad's pickup into the snowbanks at the side of the driveway. It was all good and fun until I slipped, caught the rail between my legs, and fell off the side into the snow. This totally knocked me senseless, but when I heard my dad come out of the house to warm up the truck, I tried crawling to him. I passed out, for maybe just a few moments, but I awoke to find my head placed neatly behind the passenger rear tire of the truck.

I hate imagining what would have happened if my dad didn't see me and started backing out the driveway before I could wake up... *shudders*
SkullPizza
ainieas wrote:
I was in a bus when a bomb exploded just a few metres in front of the bus. Soon there was all chaos, people running everywhere and police sirens blazing everywhere. Actually it happened last month. To tell the truth, I was scared. But the police was really quick i responding and it wasn't that scary for me after that.

Where are you from?
SkullPizza
PureSimpleNatural wrote:
It was winter, and there was alot of snow. I was maybe about 7 or 8 at the time. Anyways, I was jumping off the side rails of my dad's pickup into the snowbanks at the side of the driveway. It was all good and fun until I slipped, caught the rail between my legs, and fell off the side into the snow. This totally knocked me senseless, but when I heard my dad come out of the house to warm up the truck, I tried crawling to him. I passed out, for maybe just a few moments, but I awoke to find my head placed neatly behind the passenger rear tire of the truck.

I hate imagining what would have happened if my dad didn't see me and started backing out the driveway before I could wake up... *shudders*

Wow, your father almost hated himself for the rest of his life. This is probably the most interesting of the posts so far.
Saber
hmmm I dont know if this counts, but back when I had a paper route,(in the whinter) I was just walking to the second part of my rout when I guess I stilled on some Ice. When I came to, I was in the persons house that I slipped infront of. I really dont remember much from that day, but I do remember the splitting pain in my head for days after.
SkullPizza
Saber wrote:
hmmm I dont know if this counts, but back when I had a paper route,(in the whinter) I was just walking to the second part of my rout when I guess I stilled on some Ice. When I came to, I was in the persons house that I slipped infront of. I really dont remember much from that day, but I do remember the splitting pain in my head for days after.

You probably recieved a concussion from the sounds of it. I hope that you went to lay down for the rest of the day after that because you can die otherwise after a major one.
Saber
well because Im not dead. I guess I did something, I wish I could remember.

And Another time....

I was running after my older brother and sister, we were going over a bridge that was made with cement and random rocks in it. I triped and fell right on a sharper edge, right in the middle of my forhead. yah... blood all over the place, Had to get taken to the hospitial and the hold deal. Again that day is very blury but I do remember being in a ton of pain and a lot of blood. And thats the reason why I cant stand the sight of blood now adays(I think)
ainieas
SkullPizza wrote:
ainieas wrote:
I was in a bus when a bomb exploded just a few metres in front of the bus. Soon there was all chaos, people running everywhere and police sirens blazing everywhere. Actually it happened last month. To tell the truth, I was scared. But the police was really quick i responding and it wasn't that scary for me after that.

Where are you from?

From the trouble torn heart of Asia.
StyledeTos
oh question so hapiness.... lol
Karo
I have been quite close to death several times, but not close enouhg to be dead yet!!! Guess I still have to be around for a while!
I do not really like recalling those moments but prefer to enjoy the good moments life brings about! I would rather post something about the best moments of my life than think about the inevitable end of all this... Wink
SkullPizza
Asia eh? I'm just curious what the bomb was doing in front of a bus in the first place. Was someone trying to make a statement like a terrorist or some such thing, or was it just some crazy who wanted to blow something up. I'm just curious.

Of course I don't fully agree with the title "terrorist" because it's more of a propaganda tool than anything else.
SkullPizza
Karo wrote:
I have been quite close to death several times, but not close enouhg to be dead yet!!! Guess I still have to be around for a while!
I do not really like recalling those moments but prefer to enjoy the good moments life brings about! I would rather post something about the best moments of my life than think about the inevitable end of all this... Wink

Well, in my personal opinion, the experience of staring death in the face can at times make you more respectful and happy for the time that you DO have.

Plus stories about almost dying are inevitably interesting. But then I like all things macabre. To each his own I suppose.
ainieas
SkullPizza wrote:
Asia eh? I'm just curious what the bomb was doing in front of a bus in the first place. Was someone trying to make a statement like a terrorist or some such thing, or was it just some crazy who wanted to blow something up. I'm just curious.

Of course I don't fully agree with the title "terrorist" because it's more of a propaganda tool than anything else.

Yeah, it was kinda a terrorist thing. But they are called militants here. Thankfully the bomb was not that powerful and not many people died. It happens pretty regularly, so now people here don't even care that much. The militants want freedom from the mainland and I have no idea what the people want.
wumingsden
I have had many near-death experiences and i'm only 15, (16 in 7 days). Some people know on FriHost, some people don't, but I'm quite ill. Anyways, if i catch a cold i end up with pneumonia, which is about once a month. This is because I have no immune system so I have to tred on a very thin line. Theres nothing that can be done although I do get admitted to have I.V's regularly which is a pain in the you-know-where. This to fight off infections that I have that have got past my other medication. I've been admitted into hospital (as an emergency) countless times ~ well over 100. I'm also admitted for other reasons regularly like for IV's or just when i don't feel to well.
I have also been in two car crashes, both involving double-decker buses, (i'm sure they've got something against me!). Anyways, they wasn't that bad, just wiplash, cuts/bruisers, etc. Because of my illnesses my life expectancy is unknown, although people that are similar illnesses are more likely to die 1yrs-4yrs to 10-16yrs. It has been known for people to survive up to their 40's but this is very rare. People ask me wether I'm afraid of death and when i tell them that i'm not they get extremely weird with me which is quite annoying.
When I was 8 yrs old I was out shopping with my mum and a man committed suicide by jumping off a building. He landed about 10 metres away which was obviously very traumatic because i was so young. because of this i guess you could say that i'm afraid to see death but not to actually die.
SkullPizza
wumingsden wrote:
I have had many near-death experiences and i'm only 15, (16 in 7 days). Some people know on FriHost, some people don't, but I'm quite ill. Anyways, if i catch a cold i end up with pneumonia, which is about once a month. This is because I have no immune system so I have to tred on a very thin line. Theres nothing that can be done although I do get admitted to have I.V's regularly which is a pain in the you-know-where. This to fight off infections that I have that have got past my other medication. I've been admitted into hospital (as an emergency) countless times ~ well over 100. I'm also admitted for other reasons regularly like for IV's or just when i don't feel to well.
I have also been in two car crashes, both involving double-decker buses, (i'm sure they've got something against me!). Anyways, they wasn't that bad, just wiplash, cuts/bruisers, etc. Because of my illnesses my life expectancy is unknown, although people that are similar illnesses are more likely to die 1yrs-4yrs to 10-16yrs. It has been known for people to survive up to their 40's but this is very rare. People ask me wether I'm afraid of death and when i tell them that i'm not they get extremely weird with me which is quite annoying.
When I was 8 yrs old I was out shopping with my mum and a man committed suicide by jumping off a building. He landed about 10 metres away which was obviously very traumatic because i was so young. because of this i guess you could say that i'm afraid to see death but not to actually die.

Well if this was a competition you would win. Good luck to you.
wumingsden
SkullPizza wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Well if this was a competition you would win. Good luck to you.

Are you fascinated with death because it seems that way? What with you Sig, Avatar, etc.
SkullPizza
wumingsden wrote:
Are you fascinated with death because it seems that way? What with you Sig, Avatar, etc.

Oh quite so, simply because it's the one thing that happens that no one truly has any evidence for what happens to your central conciousness afterwards. And since that consciousness is the beggining of any experience I suppose I am curious.

I can't wait for some religious zealot to come and claim that they have proof of what happens after I submit this. But the only kind of evidence I ever accept for anything of that kind is scientific evidence.

Hopefully they'll save their breath.
Lennon
Well how about I show you what death feels like....
Twisted Evil Mr. Green Twisted Evil Mr. Green Twisted Evil Mr. Green

Only kidding (",)
As I'm dying I'll just think of everyone I loved and let myself go, whether heaven comes or not I'm not too worried, I've tried to do the right thing in life and that's all that matters.
shut up
I was working on a loader in mid january when it was raining for almost 30 days straight. Anyway I was moving some mud around and the wheels slipped sending me down an embankment, busting the side windows and letting the mud into the cab while the other windows didn't break, so I was pretty much trapped, but I was barely able to break one of the windows in the cab just as I was almost out of air and mud was pouring in as the machine was now sinking in it. We had to pull the machine out with a dump truck and long cable because we couldn't get it to start (obviously).
OutlawSpirit
been there once...... had 2 be given backlife by docs Cool
DoctorBeaver
I've come close a couple of times. When I lived in Africa I was bitten by a rhinoceros viper. I was in the wilds of northern Uganda at the time & my friend had to drive me 50 miles cross-country to the nearest medical station. Fortunately, he's a total nutter behind the wheel of a Landrover & got me there in time. Also fortunately, he was able to get a good look at the snake & was able to describe it to the doctor.
I now have a degenerative lung condition which could be a result of the bite & not being treated for it sooner. I've stopped breathing a couple of times & been rushed into hospital but I'm a tough old beaver. Under normal conditions my little friend Vlad the Inhaler is enough to keep me alive & kicking.
My residence in Uganda was in the south west near the borders with Tanzania & Rwanda. We frequently had Hutu militia raiding across the border & I was shot at a couple of times. I never realised prior to that just how quickly I could dive into a ditch!
Also, I was in the Rwandan capital, Kigali, when the civil war broke out. Although I was never personally threatened, it was pretty damned scary all the same.
wumingsden
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I've come close a couple of times. When I lived in Africa I was bitten by a rhinoceros viper. I was in the wilds of northern Uganda at the time & my friend had to drive me 50 miles cross-country to the nearest medical station. Fortunately, he's a total nutter behind the wheel of a Landrover & got me there in time. Also fortunately, he was able to get a good look at the snake & was able to describe it to the doctor.
I now have a degenerative lung condition which could be a result of the bite & not being treated for it sooner. I've stopped breathing a couple of times & been rushed into hospital but I'm a tough old beaver. Under normal conditions my little friend Vlad the Inhaler is enough to keep me alive & kicking.
My residence in Uganda was in the south west near the borders with Tanzania & Rwanda. We frequently had Hutu militia raiding across the border & I was shot at a couple of times. I never realised prior to that just how quickly I could dive into a ditch!
Also, I was in the Rwandan capital, Kigali, when the civil war broke out. Although I was never personally threatened, it was pretty damned scary all the same.

Just curious, what degenerative lung condition do you have ? I also have a number of issues with my lungs which is why I'm asking
Jack_Hammer
Once when I was around 11 I fell of my bike and landed in the road where a car just managed to stop before crushing me my clothes where caught under the front wheels of the car...
Vrythramax
horseatingweeds wrote:
I went into renal failure after a medical procedure once. I was so sick I went beyond the feeling of sick.

I heard that, I lost a kidney due to gunshot and the other promptly shut down on me and stayed that way for almost 5 weeks, I was on dialisys (I know I misspelled it) for the entire time and for almost a month afterwards just to clean my blood so I would get septic poisoning. It goes way beyond feeling sick...or even shot for that matter (and let me tall ya, being shot HURTS!!). It ain't like the movies that's for sure.
DoctorBeaver
Wumingsden - it's a form of emphycema. The lungs lose their elasticity so much of the surface area can't absorb oxygen.
wumingsden
DoctorBeaver wrote:
Wumingsden - it's a form of emphycema. The lungs lose their elasticity so much of the surface area can't absorb oxygen.

The illness that effects my lungs is lung disease, bronchitis, bronchiectasis and the second reinformation of Cystic Fibrosis.

I've heard of emphycema, you head of the above ? bronchiectasis is quite rare and the second reinformation of CF is too, so much so that its not long been discovered.
DoctorBeaver
I've heard of bronchitis & CF but not the other 1.
wumingsden
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I've heard of bronchitis & CF but not the other 1.

I have the Second Reinformation of Cystic Fibrosis which is very different, and like I said has only just been fount. Do you smoke? Some links that you may find useful ~ although i doubt it Very Happy ...

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is in a way related to all of the other things below:

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_Obstructive_Lung_Disease
Emphysema - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphysema
Bronchitis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchitis
Bronchiectasis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiectasis
Cystic fibrosis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cystic_fibrosis

***Note that I do not have Cystic Fibrosis but the Second Reinformation of Cystic Fibrosis, the main difference betweeen the two is that it is not genetic. Not a lot is known about it as its thought that there's only one person in the world that suffers from it - I guess you could call me special Very Happy
bangala
well this may sound strange but it did happend to me.
I was just coming back from office feeling very hungry. I sat on the table to eat my lunch. I was eating so fast and suddenly I felt I coudn't swallow. I harried to drink some water, but the water did not pass either and I had to through it out. I felt like I'm losing my breath slowly. I ran out of the room and luckily the nanny was around and I bent infront of her pointing with my hand to my back. She got it and started beating my back until the food passed through and I restored my normal breathing. Now I learned the lesson well Smile
chargoyle
Mine wasn't any grand elegant or courageous story. My firend and I got sone dry ice and were playing with it and decided to try the dry ie bomb thing. Not realizing just how explosive it was, after half an hour of waiting, we decided to pick the bottle with dry ice in it up and examine it closely. About two seconds after I had it right up against my face I tossed it on the ground and it made a half-a-meter wide hole in the packed ground. Does this count?
SkullPizza
haha, your head almost exploded. no but seriously that's not funny.....

Laughing Twisted Evil
CrazyFists
I've never come seriously close to death, though I tried to drink bleach once, and i almost broke my back falling off a tree...thats nothing compared to some of you guys.

http://s11.invisionfree.com/Zeality_Forums/index.php?act=idx
thiamshui
i dun tink i came quite close to death though.. my worse injury is falling into a drain and getting a deep cut in my leg, requiring stitches.. that's all.. Very Happy
David_Pardy
Well I've had a couple...

First one was when I was about 15, I was trying to do a trick on my skateboard and I ended up stomping on the kick instead of landing it, the skateboard shot up and got me in the throat, just missing my oesophagus. If it had hit me I probably would have choked to death, as it was I got a nasty cut Wink.

There's a couple of others.... Now let me think... Nope, can't remember but I know there has been a couple of other incidents.
mschnell
When I was between one and two years old a dog bit my face. I guess it was pretty bad. I had over a hundred stitches, mostly on the right side of my face.
junodark
Um, my temperature once rose to 107 degrees fahrenheit when I got a nasty case of the flu during the winter. It got to the point where I was hallucinating frequently and had to be admitted to a hospital. Luckily with some heavy medication (More hallucinating) I was able to return to normal.

Another time, and I can't recall why it started, some kids from another troop at boy scout camp (I was probably 11?) started throwing rocks at me. It was one of the scariest things I can remember, having rocks fly past your head. Eventually someone nailed me right in the chest and I started hyperventilating, which got them to stop. Not fun.

One of the other scariest moments of my life was sledding in my backyard. We had made a "hardcore" path in the wooded area behind my house, with minimal clearing of the various thorns and other hazardous things. It was pure ice, and if I had to estimate you could probably build up 25-30 mph if you started at the top. I did start at the top, got halfway down where we built a ramp, hit the side and started flying head first towards a tree. Luckily I moved my head out of the way, and it slammed my shoulder and scraped my neck before throwing me down onto the ground.

But none of this is really that close to death, at least none of that "Life before your eyes" stuff.
lisa33144
Last summer I was in the back seat of a van on the way to get ice cream. The driver of the van I was in made a sharp left hand turn and and there was a car on the other side of the road that hit the side of our van head on. We flew out of control and ended up on the other side of the road, everything happened so fast, I'm not sure how we got there. I ended up being okay, I just couldn't really move because of such bad whiplash for a few days. Three other people in the car had about the same expereience as me. The driver and the woman in the passenger seat were pretty badly hurt, but they survived. Later, I found out that we hit an oil tank and if we had hit it any harder we would have blown up. That was very scary.
NuniPio
me and 4 other mates we're driving at like 7am..coming back from somewhere...i was sitting in the passenger seat (left side) and the driver was talking to us about how close we are to death...juss by telling us stories n stuff...i was looking straight at the road while he was talking and noticed a red light..the driver was continuing at his regular speed (about 60km/h) ...i was thinking in my head..when is he gonna slow down...he didnt, until about 30m before the lights i started to hold on to the doors tight...he looked at me funny, then realised there was a red light and slammed the brakes...as soon as he stopped a bus flew passed (from the left!!) at about 60 - 70km/h if he didnt stop..i would not be typing this message...and i still dnt noe y i just didnt tell him that there was red light...it seems obvious, but the words just didnt come out...