FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Plug an ipod into a car

MonkeyWrench
I have a ford focus with no tape player, does anyone know how or where i can find an item or someone to fit something into my car to make me able to plug my ipod in?
Animal
You could do one of two thngs:

Option 1: Get an iPod connection cable to plug into the back of your car's stereo - these cost from £100 to £250 fitted, so shop around.

Option 2: Get an iTrip. These are about £20-£40 depending on your iPod model, and they plug into your iPod directly and broadcast the music on an FM channel. You then tune your car's stereo to whatever channel you set it to and listen in. The only issue with this is that it's not strictly legal to use in the UK unless you have a license to use the specific FM frequency.
MonkeyWrench
ok where can i get it fitted or buy that 2nd thing u said? i have an ipod nano.
gonzo
Animal wrote:
broadcast the music on an FM channel.

mmm quality. First rape your music into MP3 and then add more noise with short range FM relay. Laughing

Any competant stereo shop will be able to add a stero jack port on your dash to plug in your aux audio device
S3nd K3ys
gonzo wrote:
First rape your music into MP3

I work in a machine shop. Very loud. I took a good portion of my metallica/megadeth/boingo/korn collection and burned it onto a CD. (I have two, actually, one has JUST metallica). The CD(s) play for about 6 hours each. The quality isn't great, but you can't notice it over the spindles turning and the air compressor.

Back on topic; I've heard the itrips are pretty buggy. I'd go with the "add aux plug" option myself.
gonzo
S3nd K3ys wrote:
gonzo wrote:
First rape your music into MP3

metallica/megadeth/boingo/korn collection and burned it onto a CD.

haha.. adding noise to modulated noise audio entertainment then upsampled and over driven in a loud environment.

good stuff

Cool
Animal
MonkeyWrench wrote:
ok where can i get it fitted or buy that 2nd thing u said? i have an ipod nano.

If you're in the UK, try somewhere like Halfords or check the Argos catalog. If you're not in the UK, check with iPod accessory or auto stores nearby.

The iTrip is available virtually anywhere - the newest ones for the iPod Nano will be quite expensive, but check the details here:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripnano/index.php

eBay, ipodx.co.uk, or hundreds of other websites sell these things - shop around, use Kelkoo and Price Runner - I think you'll be quite impressed. It's the easiest and most portable way to use your music in the car, and you can even use it in the house, outside... anywhere really.
THE11thROCK™
This stuff is cool. Want to give it a try myself. Ipod rules!
Jack_Hammer
Ipod bad!, supports Apple,
Xbox (360) even worse, supports Micro$oft!

Support Linux!, Support Firefox.
Wink
Animal
Jack_Hammer wrote:
Ipod bad!, supports Apple,

You must be right... but how does this help connect a "bad" iPod to a car?

Jack_Hammer wrote:
Xbox (360) even worse, supports Micro$oft!

Woah, you're right... but what's it got to do with an iPod and a Ford Focus?

Jack_Hammer wrote:
Support Linux!, Support Firefox.

(Don't even get me started on what Firefox has to do with an mp3 player)

Believe it or not, the iPod isn't as bad as you think. Have a look at iPod Linux - some very clever people have managed to code up a distribution of Linux to run on an iPod. It means you can play more games, listen to more audio formats and have more freedom. It also dual-boots with the standard iPod firmware. So iPod bad? Research before posting! Wink
MonkeyWrench
i bought an itrip from www.ipodworld.com. very good Very Happy
Frag
MonkeyWrench wrote:
i bought an itrip from www.ipodworld.com. very good Very Happy

Good luck with that mate, heard they look a dildo though Laughing
benwhite
itrips work fine as long as your get the actual itrip and not one of the cheaper knockoffs-those are really bad in general, I've tried them. The trick is with the itrip is to pick a channel where there is nothing going on except static, that way more powerful broadcasts won't get in the way.

The biggest trouble I had was on a roadtrip, because the stations around me were changing every so often. Easily fixable. The only other problem is when you're driving near someone who also has an itrip on the same station, which happens more than one might think but still not very often.

Honestly, if you have a car with a tape-deck, just use the headphone-tape apparatus we used to all use for our discmans. It's a lot easier and you probably have one lying around from that Sony you bought back in the early 90's. If you don't, itrip is definitely a great gadget.

For stuff around the house, get a splitter so you can plug your ipod into stereo speakers. Chances are, those also came with a walkman you might have bought. If not their cheap, point being that you'll feed the sound directly into the speakers, instead through a radio intermediate, which is a clumsy workaround.

60gig ipod video makes me happy.