FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

pop3 Accounts And Domain Names

smokey4life
I have a question, i am going to register a .com fairly soon as was wondering, will my pop3 accounts still be @runesource.frih.net or will they beome @runesource.com or how does that work?
Animal
You need to get a mod or administrator to rename your domain on frihost as yourdomain.com - then you create a new email address and it'l be you@yourdomain.com. If you want to keep your current email address, just ask the admins to create a second domain under your account or use "Domain Pointers" in Direct Admin. That way all your mail settings will stay the same and your site will come under yourdomain.com
smokey4life
Ok thanks see i wasnt sure if they would become yourdomain.com or not and thats exactly what i would want it to do Smile also do you know if the e-mail addresses would stay and simply change or would i have to go through and recreate them all?
n0obie4life
Conrgats Animal, another false statement.

You can add your own .com domain by gonig to Domain Administration and press add. Then set the new domain as the default domain.

To transfer stuff from your old domain to your new domain, move the things from

domains/runesource.frih.net/public_html/ to domains/newdomain.com/public_html/

Anyway, you should be able to use

pop3.frih.net & mail.frih.net (there's no need to add the runesource afaik).
photographerguy
I didn't know anything about this but I got it to work in about 15 minutes. I went to domain pointers and made and alias to whatever.com. I bought my domain through yahoo, so I had to set the dns in the yahoo panel. Everything works the way I want it to. If I make an email address info@matt.frih.net and email info@whatever.com it still works. My question is what is the difference in what I did to moving my public_html or having the frihost admin change something? I wasn't trying to say my way is better, I'm just new at this and was wondering what the difference is? Thanks.
admin
It just depends what you want to do. If I change your subdomain to a domain, your won't be able to use the subdomain anymore. So it could be better to add it yourself as an addon or parked domain.
Animal
n0obie4life wrote:
Conrgats Animal, another false statement.

You can add your own .com domain by gonig to Domain Administration and press add. Then set the new domain as the default domain.

Isn't that pretty much what I just said??? Shocked

Animal wrote:
...ask the admins to create a second domain under your account or use "Domain Pointers" in Direct Admin.

Granted, I should have made it clear that you could also create a second domain and use it when creating new mail, however I was trying to go by the [url=http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-26085.html#202888]rule[/quote] that you posted by suggesting moderator permission was achieved before any domains were added or changed. Do you not need to do that now???
mathiaus
Animal wrote:
I was trying to go by the [url=http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-26085.html#202888]rule
that you posted by suggesting moderator permission was achieved before any domains were added or changed. Do you not need to do that now???[/quote]
That refers to changing your frih.net subdomain without our knowledge, not adding a different domain

This is solved now
-close-