FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Great offer, but too good to be true

Shake
I was going to post this in the guests forum, but I already signed up for an account, and even though this is more of a question, when I read the rules I saw that this should go in suggestions, so here it is.

This is, a matter of fact, the best free web hosting offer I have ever seen, but will it last? I haven't seen any notice of how long this host has existed. I see that the most users ever on the forums was on January 31st, 2006 which tells me you're either growing at a high rate, or you're fairly new. Also, just seeing that you have 11,988 registered users is quite frightening. Can you really support the servers? Will this last? I'm a bit skeptical about this, since my last host (a paid web host) went down unexpectedly with a lawsuit or something of the sort (nothing big).

Other things I'm still skeptical about:

- Are there file size limitations?

- What would I do if I went on vacation for a few months?

- Are under construction websites allowed? (This is a big one for me - I'm always working on my website, and constantly redesigning, so I may not have a lot of content, or sometimes none whatsoever)

- And finally, why can't we earn points in the tutorials forum? I have quite a few ideas for Adobe Photoshop tutorials, and I would be more than happy to post them for some extra points (maybe 5-20 depending on the length/quality?). Otherwise, I don't see the point.

As you can see, there are a lot of questions that have gone unanswered. I think you should expand your F.A.Q. a bit.
Blaster
Frihost has been around since april of 2005.

For the vaction you would have to let the mods/admins know. Just tell them how long you plane on going away.

The no points in tutorials I don't really know why. Mainly I think it is to limit spam.

And not everyone registerd here for the free hosting. And then you have to remeber the people that signed up and then didn't post anything.
n0obie4life
1. Of our 11999 users, half of them never posted once at all. Some of them didn't register for an account, some of them are banned. So, we can support them Wink.

Frihost aims to last as long as possible and provide the best hosting around (like you can see in me and Bondings' sig, well he's was the original btw).

2. We do not have filesize limits, maybe just not more than 250mb Smile.

3. If you are going on vaction for a few months, please do NOT contact a moderator/admin.

If it's one month, try and gain 45 points, you'll come back with 15 Wink. If it's going to be quite long > 45 days, please, make a backup of your account. If it ever get's deleted, you can re-request for an account.

4. Yes, you can have under construction website..actually, we have lots of accounts that used 0.0mb/250mb.

5. The tutorials forum has been abused time and again Sad. We decided to disable points for it.
Shake
I see. Thanks for the answers. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Maybe you should put this info on the main part of the site, to avoid unnecessary topics like this. Anyway, I'm looking forward to signing up for hosting when its re-enabled in mid february! See you then.
WebSiteGuru
Shake wrote:

- Are under construction websites allowed? (This is a big one for me - I'm always working on my website, and constantly redesigning, so I may not have a lot of content, or sometimes none whatsoever)

FYI, coming from a web designer aspective that is a NO NO in the Webmaster world. It is un-professional. And when potential visitors come to visit your site, it will definately drive them away and never come back.
But of couse you can put it there.
Shake
Quote:
FYI, coming from a web designer aspective that is a NO NO in the Webmaster world. It is un-professional. And when potential visitors come to visit your site, it will definately drive them away and never come back.

I know. I may not upload anything until the main layout is finished. I'll probably wait until the website gets enough content before I post links to it or advertise it anywhere. My site isn't going to be a huge company website (not in the near future anyway), so I'm not worried about what people think about it. I just like to test my web design skills, and I've been needing somewhere to host my art. But because I've never been able to keep a hosting account for a long enough time (either due to the web host being terminated, or due to the massive amounts of ads that certain hosts force onto my website without notice), I haven't been able to actually keep a website long enough for it to be big. Plus, my web and image design skills are always improving as I learn new techniques, and once in a while I start a new template to test on. It grows on me...I keep it...etc. I'm not trying to be professional. That's just the way I work. Hoepfully with this host I will be able to create a productive website.
Marston
WebSiteGuru wrote:
Shake wrote:

Stealing logos and acronyms from The Web Design Group is also a no-no in the web design world Smile.
gonzo
Shake wrote:
will it last

Refer to your contract for remedies... oh, wait, you don't have a contract do you?

Quote:
- Are there file size limitations?

no

Quote:

- What would I do if I went on vacation for a few months?

Pay for a real host because you obviously have money.