FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Search Engine Hits

Tony The Tiger
Tomorrow marks 4 weeks of new and improved webpage life. So far I have zero search engine hits. I have referred my site to all the main search engines. What is going on?
Marston
You're probably not ranked high on Google, or any other Search Engines. I think you might be getting "sandboxed". Additionally, I see that you're using frames. Razz That will definetley have an affect on your ranking.
Tony The Tiger
This page was derived from my old U of C web page. I was first on a google search for my name Antonio Vernon. I was on the first page for Tony Vernon. I was on the 2nd page for Petra Nemcova and Michelle Lombardo (which combined got me about 2000 extra hits in Feb 03 as per http://extremetracking.com/open;unique?login=brutus00). The only thing that is different is I put the accent on my name this time.
blackbart
Might try removing that accent. Also, try submitting a sitemap to google there's a decent sitemap generator here I did this and was crawled in a matter of hours. Registering in the Alexa search. Links, of course, will help to get you indexed. Lot's of 'em. Get your signature setup with a keyword anchored link to your site get on a few other forums. MSN'll pick you up quick.
i've had a couiple a site up now for a week and I'm getting crawled regular by MSN and Alexa. I have yet to submit sitemaps to google but I have had daily hits from google addresses, The stas prog didn't pick 'em up as bots but, I recognized the addresses.
Tony The Tiger
blackbart wrote:
. . .try submitting a sitemap to google there's a decent sitemap generator here I did this and was crawled in a matter of hours. . .

Do I have to do anything after I hit new map or does it get "saved" right away.

"Have nunchucks. Will travel."-JCoC
Tony The Tiger
blackbart wrote:
Registering in the Alexa search. Links, of course, will help to get you indexed.

From here http://www.alexa.com/ where do I go?

blackbart wrote:
Get your signature setup with a keyword anchored link to your site get on a few other forums.

What does this mean?

blackbart wrote:
I have yet to submit sitemaps to google but I have had daily hits from google addresses.

Is this different from going to http://www.blocklayer.com/googlesitemap/Default.aspx and generating a new map?
blackbart
Ok have to walk through the alexa registration process. i involves verifying you have access tothe domain you're promoting and then you save a file in the root of your site. so.
go to Alexa and enter your site address in the seach box
when it comes up you will have a
"Correct errors and omissions in this listing."
link if you never filed information with alexa I think it offers a add contact info
Follow the instructions.
I crawled and thumbnailed after doing that.

if you went to the sitemap generator site there wer instructions on how to generate the xml there is adequate documentation on the site to wlak you through but eventually you'll need to copy and paste the xml code to a text edito save it as sitemap.xml, gzip it and put it u on your site in "/"

On the last comment I made it was offhand and means I did not dothe above for s a couple new sites but am already getting traffic from IP addresses owned by google
Tony The Tiger
blackbart wrote:
go to Alexa and enter your site address in the seach box when it comes up you will have a "Correct errors and omissions in this listing." link if you never filed information with alexa I think it offers a add contact info Follow the instructions.

I crawled and thumbnailed after doing that.

I went to the "Enter New Info for frih.net" section and completed all the details. I then placed the file called info.txt on the root of my site and told them to fetch. I have confirmed that http://tonythetiger.frih.net/info.txt exists. However, alexa returns the error: ERROR: File "http://tonythetiger.frih.net/info.txt" was not found.

blackbart wrote:
you'll need to copy and paste the xml code to a text edito save it as sitemap.xml, gzip it and put it u on your site in "/"

I use winzip. I placed sitemap.xml and sitemap.zip (containing sitemap.xml) in my root directory.

What next?
Tony The Tiger
blackbart wrote:
you'll need to copy and paste the xml code to a text edito save it as sitemap.xml gzip it and put it u on your site in "/"

I have been trying to download and install gzip. I went here: http://www.gzip.org/#exe and downloaded the self extract format (gzip124xN.exe). I double clicked on this and all that happened was 4 files (COPYING, gzip.doc, gzip.exe, README) were added to my desktop. gzip.exe does not run. So I attempted to download Win-GZ 1.2 (released in March 2003) from various mirrors at http://tinyurl.com/93zpw , but was taken to Registry Mechanic 5.1 download sites.
Tony The Tiger
Once I create a sitemap.xml file, put it in my root directory and place it here http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/showaddsitemap?hl=en how long until I get crawled, thumbnailed, and indexed?
Dragonfly
Yes all those efforts like submitting to search engines and linking may eventually help but in order to stay top on the search engine result pages is to have quality content. One day your site will be crawled by the spiders if your site doesn't offer quality content it may not never appear where visitors will eventually clicked which is usually the first 10 pages of those search results.
yokonative
I know your fustration with not getting any traffic to a place. you just have to look around at what is available for you to use. the sitemap with google is GREAT and im glad you are using it but ty other places, like ::
Tony The Tiger
I signed on to this trafficworld thing. Right now it is on in the background and I have earned over 60 hits. This service seems odd. Does it fool the search engines into thinking I am getting a lot of traffic? Does it generate hits all from the same referrer?
Bondings
Tony The Tiger, you need a lot of links pointing to your website from pages spidered by the search engines. Things like this will help your website get spidered faster and better.
blackbart
I would avoid those traffic exchanges like the plague. Folks click in click out. If they've got google toolbar google knows they stop and go. This actually affects your ranking. Like some one said; content. links. Even more important is the link text in your links. Figuring out what keywards are gonna generate click is a battle.
When you get crawled you want the crawler to be able to 'see' what your page is all about. you need to emphasize the words that tell what the subject of your site is.
Usually before you set up your sitemap you need to do some on-page optimization. You can do it after. Your targeted phrases should be your title, description, h1 & h2 headings, links to other pages, in bold. They should be the first & last text in your (viewable) code. Go ahead and put 'em in the "keywords' meta tag but don't rely on that most SEs ignore or give very light-weight to that anymore.
if you use css for positioning, put the keyword headings at the top and bottom of the code, no matter where they are in a page. Look at your page with no style info attached (disable it in your browser, use a text browser or if you can move the file temporarily) see where things show up.
Get links. but get links that contan the text you are targeting.
Code:
<a href="http://yoursite.who">www.yoursite.who</a>

tells the crawlers dodah about your site and does not relate it to your targeted search terms.
Code:
<a href="http://yoursite.who">your search terms</a>

Now that tell the crawlers what you're all about!
You should have a couple of different terms you're targeting. Strategy i've used is to target the low comptetition words at fisrt. Put 'em in my links and when I get the resluts I'm after, I go after the next step. Go for your next set of terms get links with that text out there, add some more subject matter to your pages.
Once you get near the top do not stop. Keep promoting your site. i've been sitting back going fter a higher competition phrase and ignoring one that I was #1 for I checked yesterday. i'm now #2!
Think of it as a game; try to fnd out why pages rank higher than yours. It's a competition for attention. Guys that've been around longer have a leg up on you. Do some of this all of this or even more. Depends on hw aggressive you wanna be. How important is traffic to you?
Tony The Tiger
You seem to know a lot about search engine optimization. Have you heard about this SEO contest: http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23744
kcarring
Tony. This is what a Search Engine sees when it visits your site:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Antonio Vernon's (aka "Tony The Tiger") Homepage - New and Improved</TITLE>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET colS="170,*" frameborder=no>
<FRAME SRC="directory.html" name="LEFT" no wrap Scrolling=no border=0>
<FRAMESET rowS="120,*">
<FRAME SRC="header.html" name="TOP" Scrolling=no border=0>
<FRAME SRC="main.html" name="MAINWINDOW" border=0>
</FRAMESET>
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>

Firstly, Frames will kill you every time. Secondly there are a lot of errors - for example the usage of ( and " in your Title - not a good idea. The missing meta tags.

This page could never do well! You need to reconsider a lot of things. Do you know HTML? You need to break away completely from the frames. Sad but true, as well, if we are going to get technical here - if you are serious about this site - you need a real domain, not a dynamically produced IP from a free host. you.anything.com doesn't cut it UNLESS all you want to be found for is your name - in which case it might do the trick. It's the same story about my BLOG. While I may score at MSN for Search Engine Optimization BC Canada - I am never going to score at Google for Search Engine Optimization or SEO - not as a subdomain (like me - I'm a subdomain of "blogspot.com". Of course that doesn't bother me - my blog is merely to help my acquaintences get more informed with SEO fundamentals. Sorry to be a downer, but that's the reality of the situation. If you want to be found for anything general, like "martial arts" related - as opposed to just your name... then a move to a real server is crucial. The reason Google hates free servers is that they resemble IP cloaking and spoofs - it isn't that they actually hate them - they just appear to close to what would be considered unethical means of climbing SERPS. In other words, we all are without static IP, on frihost. This is OK if all you want to be found for is some obscure term with little competition - but other than that - it's simply not going to cut it - not at least without years and years of hard work and massive link popularity (then MAYBE it could.. as some fortunecity sites have...) but this is very rare.

If you need help let me know. You seem like a cool guy, and I read over your site. I wish you well with your legal battle - that sounds like you have been burned bad! I'll help you if I can?
DoctorBeaver
Tony - just had a quick look at your site; from a visitor's point of view, not techy. It looks good. The only bitch I would have with it is that the font in the footnotes block seems a bit small. But that's just me.
I'll definitely be going back for a fuller look when I've got a bit more time. Good luck.
SoftStag
You need to be patient. Once Google has started spidering your site it can take some time for it to appear in the search results, even then you probably won't rank very highly. Like Bondings says, you need to have plenty of links to your site, and put your keywords in you anchor text. For example, for my site I can use the link PC Support. As you can see the anchor text (PC Support) uses keywords that are useful for searching on. When Google sees this link it will place more importance on those keywords for my site, so improve my ranking when someone searches with those keywords.
kcarring
On that note, vary your anchor text. Google now has a penalty for sites with a hundred links, all with identical descriptions and anchor text. An emphasis has been placed on more natural links, found in wordy pages on theme - with the links right ion sentences.
kcarring
Tony:

I added you to the bottom of my BLOG, to help you get indexed. On my blog, you will find a link called ADD YOUR LINK. That takes you to a list of SEO-friendly directories. Nearly every single one is free. What I do is, I have a program that "programs" the F1-F12 keys on your keyboard. I can send you a link to it. Once you have your keyboard programmed, you can easily submit your website to many, many directories quickly. I can do about 25 an hour this way. You want to vary the text, have a least six variations or so. In the TITLE of each submission, you want to have one of the four versions of the search terms we discussed AND ONLY THAT. An exception might be if you wanted to add the term chicago in there. (For example if you wanted to be found for Chicago Martial Artist.

Let me know if u need further help.