FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MS plans to enter anti-virus market in June

manumiglani
Quote:
SEATTLE: Microsoft Corp. said on Tuesday it plans to launch a new computer security service in June, marking the world's biggest software maker's entry into the fast-growing consumer anti-virus market.

Microsoft's Windows OneCare Live, a subscription-based, self-updating service, will push the software giant into competition with consumer security providers Symantec Corp., McAfee Inc. and Trend Micro Inc.

The new security product represents one of Microsoft's first steps into its Web services strategy, which aims to deliver software and services over the Internet in competition with rivals Google Inc. and Yahoo Inc.

Microsoft said it aims to fill a void in the security market by offering an all-in-one service that includes anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware software along with backup and computer performance maintenance tools.

"As I look into this market right now, there is nobody else in this category," said Dennis Bonsall, director of Windows OneCare Live.

The Windows OneCare Live will be available via retailers and the Web for an annual fee of $49.95 for up to three computers, targeting consumers and small businesses.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft started offering a test version of the security and maintenance service in November and said it has nearly 200,000 "beta" users of the product. The company will offer an introductory $19.95 a year price for test users who sign up in April.

Gregg Moskowitz, an analyst at Susquehanna Financial Group, said Microsoft's long-awaited entry into a multibillion dollar security market pegged to grow at 10 percent over the next two years would likely hurt vendors like Symantec and McAfee.

"The presence of a new and very powerful competitor -- even with no sort of experience or positive type of traction in the market -- is going to cause some ripples," he said. Established players in the PC security industry are already bracing for Microsoft's entry by bundling anti-spyware protection with anti-virus software. Last week, Symantec's CEO John Thompson said the company would make investments to fend off Microsoft and any other potential competitors.

Symantec, the world's biggest security software company, said it plans to offer its own all-in-one subscription-based software product code-named "Genesis" that it expects to introduce later this year.

Most security products are sold as boxed software and then charge a renewal fee, but Microsoft said it expects consumers to favor a simpler and easier protection process that delivers updates and support through the Internet.

The new security product falls under MSN, Microsoft's Internet business. MSN accounts for only about five percent of Microsoft's total revenue, but the segment is expected to play a large role in the company's Web services strategy.

Beefed-up security is a core feature Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system, due out in the second half of 2006, and the latest version of its Internet Explorer browser which will be bundled in with Vista.

Source: http://www.ciol.com/content/news/2006/106020801.asp
i bet that is not going to be a freeware and hope that it would offer more security than other major players in the market. i mean, no one can know windows and viruses better than MICROSOFT.
ocalhoun
It's an evil scheme!
1: Develop antivirus software.
2: Develop a diabolical virus, making use of the windows source code so as to make it incurable by anything other than Microsoft's anti-virus.
3: Frame a prominent linux geek for making the virus and send him to jail.
4: Charge lots of money for the antivirus software.
Sidewinder07
Can't Microsoft leave any part of the internet alone. This is just another way for Microsoft to make a ton of money. The sad thing about it is that it's probably going to work. Because it's probably going to be bundled with windows and many of the people who use Windows barely know a thing about computers.
On second thought why should we have to pay for an antivirus from Microsoft when it's their job in the first place to keep viruses out of their OS's. Shouldn't it just be part of Windows Update?
As a home user I don't see the point to pay for anti-virus. AVG free works just fine. It's free with updates and everything.
manumiglani
Quote:
As a home user I don't see the point to pay for anti-virus. AVG free works just fine. It's free with updates and everything.

I bet it is going to be a lot better than AVG free.
horseatingweeds
We need to get together and start making software focused primarily on usability. Absorb some MS market share.
Zuwiki
Frickin MS. I hate Microsoft. Some would say they have their finger in every pie or some figure of speech like that, but I would say it was their butt.

I can't believe how much people love MS too. I asked someone at school what Operating System he has and he said "What's an operating system?" Eventually I had to ask him "What version of Windows do you have?"

OMG...

I am actually starting a Public Speaking unit in school and for our first assignment we have to do a persuasion speech about whatever we want. I am doing it on Linux. I am also going to give everyone live Linux CDs. I wonder how many people will even use them...

Well, I hope I can get to a few of them.
manumiglani
Zuwiki wrote:
Frickin MS. I hate Microsoft. Some would say they have their finger in every pie or some figure of speech like that, but I would say it was their butt.

I can't believe how much people love MS too. I asked someone at school what Operating System he has and he said "What's an operating system?" Eventually I had to ask him "What version of Windows do you have?"

OMG...

I am actually starting a Public Speaking unit in school and for our first assignment we have to do a persuasion speech about whatever we want. I am doing it on Linux. I am also going to give everyone live Linux CDs. I wonder how many people will even use them...

Well, I hope I can get to a few of them.

Best of Luck
broken2144
We may have another anti-trust suit coming...
n0obie4life
They used to have Microsoft Anti-Virus.

Well, it failed obviously Rolling Eyes.

It could only detect about 500 viruses (Okay, it was during the Windows 3.1 days Smile). And no updates were supplied, other than the half a year one time update.
Soulfire
Why does everyone automatically assume the worst? MS creates an anti-virus program to help their customers, and all they get is crap from everyone about how much they hate MicroSoft.

It's no big deal, just another product on the market.
nopaniers
Isn't there a problem when the same people who make the software charge you to protect it? It's an incentive to make worse products with more vulnerabilities. If they do they will make more money selling not only patches and upgrades, but now virus protection as well.
Animal
Ask yourself a serious question:

Would you trust Microsoft Anti-Virus Software?

The reason Microsoft products are such a target for hackers / viruses is because of market saturation - the majority of users have Microsoft software. If Microsoft start shipping free "trial" licenses for Anti-Virus with Windows, a load of people will probably use it. It will therefore become the number one target for hackers / virus writers. Your choice of Anti-Virus is currently not really an issue since there are so many different products out there, there are very few viruses that specifically target the security software.

Personally, I would not be happy to run Microsoft Anti-Virus, Firewall or Encryption software, even though I happily run Windows XP. Not necessarily because I don't trust Microsoft themselves, more because it is likely to be the first product that is exploited.