FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer won't boot

Lacerate-
Ok a couple days ago my compaq computer yea I know compaq will not boot ... I shut it down that night and it acts like its going to boot I can hear the hard drive spinning ... everything seems to work fine but my monitor is telling me there is no signal coming from the computer ... I have a Geforce FX 5200 256mb in it and I think that card might have just died or would it be something else not causing the computer to bring anything up on the screen. Also I tried plugging the cord into the onboard video but if I'm not mistaken I would have to change that in the bios and not for sure how to do that since the computer won't bring anything up on the screen... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Confused
Animal
Could be a few things, but it sounds like your computer is booting fine - the problem lies with the output of graphics.

If at all possible, you should borrow another monitor from someone, plug that into your graphics card and see if it works. It may simply be a faulty monitor cable. If the second monitor doesn't work, it may well be the graphics card. I'm not sure if you will need to tweak the bios, but you might. Obviously, that's not going to be possible unless you can see an output on the screen. You could try getting a really cheap video card and swapping it over with the one in your machine at the moment and see if it works.

Other than that, try taking it to your friendly local computer repair store.
Lacerate-
Yea I hav a 2nd monitor and tried that and still nothing coming up on that screen either ... yea I don't want to take it to a repair shop cause I have a 2nd cpu that was just something I kept most my backups on and some other things I didn't want to lose ... Going to try a few more things till I call it quites just figured I get another opinion on problem. Thank You
steveadams617
If you have a second CPU, you could always put your hard drive in that as a slave drive. It will show up as a different drive letter and at least you could access your files. If you want detailed instructions, post back here and I can probably find some.

Do you live in an area where craigslist is popular or do you have a freeclycle group? If so, you could probably get someone's old dead computer and use the video card. You would have to figure out how to explain to them the difference between a video output from the motherboard vs. a video card to make sure the computer has one before you pick it up.

Thanks
ocalhoun
Simple! Just remove the extra video card, plug into the onboard video and the motherbord should automaticly output to that port. If that fails, you either have a bad monitor or a bad CPU or a bad Motherboard. (bad memory should cause odd beeps to come from the speaker)

Does it normaly beep or check the floppy drive when booting up? This should happen no matter what is wrong with the video. If these things do not happen, your video is fine.
Squid75
I repaired a computer for someone I know, and it displayed the same symptoms your talking about. One thing that worked for me was that it would still stay visual when I booted into safe mode. For some reason the GForce drivers and the card itself where conflicting and causing the problem. It ended up that the card was bad and I intstalled an ATI Radeon card for him. Works like a charm too.

I suggest trying to boot into safe-mode. If that doesn't work try another card. I'm willing to bet that you have a bad graphics card.
Lacerate-
Thanks for all the replys ...

Quote:
Simple! Just remove the extra video card, plug into the onboard video and the motherbord should automaticly output to that port. If that fails, you either have a bad monitor or a bad CPU or a bad Motherboard. (bad memory should cause odd beeps to come from the speaker)

Does it normaly beep or check the floppy drive when booting up? This should happen no matter what is wrong with the video. If these things do not happen, your video is fine.

yea thats the first thing I tried and im still not getting video and yea it does check and tries to boot from floppy and cd roms light up like they normally do.

Quote:
I suggest trying to boot into safe-mode. If that doesn't work try another card. I'm willing to bet that you have a bad graphics card.

How do i boot the safe mode with no video to see? I know usually hit F8,etc but my keyboard isn't lighting up... I have tried ps2/usb keyboard also. Also won't do any good when even onboard video isn't working to try another card I woudn't think.

Thanks
scottdallas
i have that problem all the time when my agp card isn't seated all the way on a motherboard with onboard video and yes if your bios is set to agp first then you wont see any picture... BUT if it's set to pci and you are only using the agp it will default to the agp when it finds nothing connected to the onboard (i believe, dont quote that). that might help in finding your problem anyways. hey and i got nothin against compaq as long as it's working.. its all different companies inside right? they're just not made for big hands. no room inside. they all seem to be that way now anyways unless you just build your own.
Lacerate-
yea I made sure it was seated and its out right now and still not getting any onboard ... I would try the card in my new cpu but it dont have agp only pci express Sad
schizophrenia1.618
hmmm, its most probably ur card, if it ain't ur monitor.
First remove the card, and plug the monitor into the onboard graphics thru the the serial port.Since u need to change the bios settings,(but u can't view anthing remember), u need to reset all ur bios settings to deafult.To do this, remove ur CMOS battery from the motherboard socker, and replace it after abt half an hour.Be careful of stati charges on the mobo or on ur body...as a precaution use a inti static cloth, and wear non conductive footwear.

when u remove the CMOS batt, all the bios settings will reset to their default values.If ur monitor still won't show anything, its either the fault of the monitor itself, or the mother board.
Lacerate-
guess the motherboard is shot ... did that and still not getting anything on the screen .. .even took the battery out and left it out for a few hours since I wasn't in any hurry ... Sad
scottdallas
yeah probably a bad motherboard unless something is going on with the ram on there or something. oh well sounds like you're all set if you're using a mobo with pci express haha so well.. if nothing else im glad your video experience must be GREAT now. what card did you get for that?
Lacerate-
Nothing yet ... spent most my money on the rest of the computer lol ... im still running onboard but I can still play my normal games with good frames per sec .. counterstrike: source, fear, etc with this onboard until I can get me a card ... onboard is ATI Radeon x200 Series 256mb ... I plan on probably a Radeon X1600 PRO 512MB PCI Express when I get my tax refund back Smile
abhinav_shah
May be some problem with the mother-board graphics chip. Try putting some other graphics card. I think your monitor is perfectly fine.

Abhinav Shah
FarZin
hmm... try to reinstall Windows Rolling Eyes
That shall work Wink
Lacerate-
lmfao what kind of reply was that? atleast read what we are discussing. Don't spam my post with unnecessary information ... If you would have real my post at all you would realize it has nothing to do with software. Thanks

btw your post would be spam in my opinion
madcap
When every other thing doesn't seem to work I reseat the processor.

(only tried on AMD processor)

Just remove the heat sink lift the processor using the lever on the socket and replace the lever, heatsink etc and pray!

It could be as you said the light on the keyboard does not light up, so it fails during the pre start test.

Hope this helps

Pete
NuniPio
i had a similar prob when i first got my PC, then i checked and realised that i had the jumpers set to clear CMOS, double check that the jumpers are set to normal coz i just switched the jumpers and things were fine
Lacerate-
How do i check the jumpers ? I know alittle bit but dont know how to do that ... thanks
savi
hello!
as many ther users said it can be anything. does your computer beep at startup. it should beep normally. if there is no beep then the Cpu might be dead. some motherboards have on the backside some LED which display the status.
maybe it helped
vicskyline
I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! yes i used to have a compaq, same thing happend to me (if im not mistaken) ok this is what u do<<<<
Arrow open the side panel case that opens up to you motherboard
Arrow locate a small battery usually near the video card port.
Arrow take that out and wait 20min
Arrow put the battery back in and boot off the onboard video card
Arrow usually that works but there are cases when it doesn't
Well good luck on ur comp, hope it works out
Xeniczone
I agree with him it happend to my computer I called for support and they didn't help so out of frustration I pulled out the battery just to see what happend and when I put it back and and turned it one IT WORKED. I had to reset the time and all that but it worked.
schizophrenia1.618
vicskyline wrote:
I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! yes i used to have a compaq, same thing happend to me (if im not mistaken) ok this is what u do<<<<
Arrow open the side panel case that opens up to you motherboard
Arrow locate a small battery usually near the video card port.
Arrow take that out and wait 20min
Arrow put the battery back in and boot off the onboard video card
Arrow usually that works but there are cases when it doesn't
Well good luck on ur comp, hope it works out

brilliant idea...tubelight!!

check my previous post in this thread!!
Xeniczone
Quote:
hello!
as many ther users said it can be anything. does your computer beep at startup. it should beep normally. if there is no beep then the Cpu might be dead. some motherboards have on the backside some LED which display the status.
maybe it helped

This isn't true I had a Pentium 3 Gateway. When I tried to install a floppy drive into it the thing died I was going to throw it away this is what happend.

I called customer support and they talked to me about I have no warrentry on it anymore and all that stuff. They asked me if It beeped or not. I said there was no beeping. Then they said well you could change the pin on the motherboard to reset the bios so I changed the pin on the board and it did nothing so I changed it back. In my last attempt to get it working I unpluged everything and pulled the battery after a week I put it all back to gether. Thinking of the worst I pluged it in to see if it worked and it did.

Anyway, Did you get it to work?
THE11thROCK™
Even a low quality powersupply in a heavily modded computer can cause unnecessary beeping. Yes, a motherboard failure can cause that. If you can boot Bios, then you're fine. Even a bad videocard can sometimes still give you access to Bios setup. Bios doesn't require output and resolutions as the OS's environments do. However, if you truly can't view anythin', try checking if the cables and ports are connected properly. Sometimes, SVGA pins may be damaged. or maybe your videocard's SVGA connector is defective. It can also be due to a bad firmware upgrade. So many possibilities. Best way, since nobody here can try check your PC physically, bring it to the nearest local technician in your area.