FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Minimum hardware requirements for mp3

quartz
Hi,
I have an old PC with Pentium 100Mhz + 64Mb Ram + win98se
Does it meet minimum requirements for mp3 playing? Which mp3 player is fastest?
I cant check, because PC is without sound card at this time.
grantmaster
Sorry to say...

This system will not run MP3's that well

perhaps if you run win98 and upgrade the memory to like 256m RAM

perhaps
abhinav_shah
I think your system will be able to run mp3. But you may not parallely run other applications while listening to mp3. Upgrade your ram to 128 MB.

http://www.abhinavs.frih.net
http://www.abhinavs.uni.cc
Animal
Actually, the PC will play mp3s fine when you have your sound card fitted. Upgrading the RAM would make it more likely to run two applications at once, but I'd probably not try to do too much other than listen to mp3s.

I would suggest that you use Winamp Lite - this is a free download. It is, as the name suggests, a lightweight program and won't take much processing power to run.

Something for your consideration: An iPod (4th Generation with a Black and White screen) has got an 85MHz processor. It may not have to run an operating system too, but it's widely accepted to be one of the best sounding devices around, so it just goes to show that you don't need top-end equipment to listen to music.

You may, however, find it difficult and impractical to encode mp3s on your computer - that takes a fair bit of processing power, and would take a long time on your computer.

Hope this helps Very Happy
ShatteredGlass
Your computer will play .MP3 files. Anyone who says otherwise is terribly misinformed.
scottdallas
yeah im with animal. i'll play mp3s on a computer no matter what speed it is if it lets me. i definitely suggest winamp older versions or lite as he said for a low ram mp3 solution. i'd say get the oldest winamp possible. the primary function is to play mp3's so im sure the first version could do it. that's your best bet. try it and see what happens.
Pikokola
Yes, It, can , but, it will move slow.. very sloww... enough slow, until you can swim to America from Hawai faster than it..

the program, I think WMplayer classic is the faster (I used it for run it when the cd still in a CD Very Happy)
schizophrenia1.618
YES!! u can play mp3's on that system.

this was the config of my old pc.....
100mhz p1
32 mb sdram
1 gb HDD
win98

i could still play songs on it with winamp 2.xx(any ver of winamp that is 2.something)

the only prob u will face is that since 98 is not that efficient a memory manager, and u do have low ram.....if u try to play songs as well as run other applications...u get a scratchy delayed playback....which totally sux.
but u can still play small games like solitaire, freecell, snooker and so on...no probswith that!!
Shake
Get a new computer. You need it, badly. I know I would be in desperate need for a new one. Even simple web design programs would be hard to run on that thing. You should definitely consider investing $2000 in a brand new computer. You won't be sorry.
savi
almost every computer out there can play mp3.
the question is wich OS do you use. with Xp it will be very hard win98 should work and some linux distris should work perfectly.
if you ask this question you should mention what you want to do with your computer

greetz savi
edgeofend
I had 120Mhz laptop with 32Mb memory and win98. It didn't play mp3s... or it did but there was so much other noise included Smile I think the minimun memory is something between 64Megs and 128megs. but some DOS based mp3 players play mp3s for much less memory
quartz
That PC will be used only for internet browsing and music. If it will not play mp3 good, i think internet radio must work. Am i right? Many years ago i had PC 468 with 133Mhz CPU. If i remember good it was not able to play mp3 well.
I dont even think about WinXP Smile At this time Win95 is installed. If it will run some music and Opera i leave it with win95 because lower CPU and ram usage. Linux is "dark forest" for men who will use that pc. Smile
SlaBo
quartz wrote:
That PC will be used only for internet browsing and music. If it will not play mp3 good, i think internet radio must work. Am i right? Many years ago i had PC 468 with 133Mhz CPU. If i remember good it was not able to play mp3 well.
I dont even think about WinXP :) At this time Win95 is installed. If it will run some music and Opera i leave it with win95 because lower CPU and ram usage. Linux is "dark forest" for men who will use that pc. :)

If it doesn't play mp3s well, the internet radio won't work. Why are you wrong? Internet radio is trasmitted in a compressed way. The format used by the simplest servers (the SHOUTcast ones) is mp3. Other servers use windows media or real media which are more cpu eating. And besides of decompressing the audio, your player must control the packet negotiation, buffering etc.
Although I think that PC is good enough to play mp3s it's to slow for windows. I don't even try to imagine how hard would it bee to browse net with Opera. Maybe person who will use this computer should dive into this penguin dark forest for it's own health. He could use then some console tools which will give him the light speed or some really fast window manager (TabWM? ;]) and links browser compiled with X support. Of course flash won't work, but he will hang himself the first time he will try to load webpage with flash on windows :>
superwrestler06
It will play on your computer. I have a 333mhz mac with a windows 98 emulator on it. The emulator runs like a pentium class 66mhz processor and 64 megs of ram. I am able to run mp3's just fine.
Slick
hi

i had a p75mhz laptop, 48mb ram 1GB HDD win98se and it ran mp3's fine

played movies ok too...the largest i played was 600mb of the cd drive.. and it was fine...

just use windows media player....

makes sure the hdd is well maintained... fragged etc, and u get rid of anything u dnt need, stop anything u dnt want or need from runnin in the background and on start up!
Xeniczone
Playing mp3 on that computer will work but you have to use older software that supports that computers speed and the windows 98 if you try to run windows media 10 then you will probaby not be able to run it.

In all ways if you want to do media get a mac. Mac really out run windows when it comes to media and music movies and all that.
Donutey
if you get a nice hardware based sound card that decodes mp3s then it should be no problem.
x-stream
Xeniczone wrote:
if you try to run windows media 10 then you will probaby not be able to run it.

Thats right! Iīm not sure, that the Windows MediaPlayer9 will run on that old system Wink
schizolo
Your system is able to run mp3 on standard media player or low version of Winamp...

If you want some good player try foobar lite .....
DJHicks
yeah i really dnt see the relevence of people saying about windows media player 9 n 10 this n that...

the answer to the question should be simply yes but... not it wont run this or that..

just use the windows media player that comes 1st with 98se... should run fine, failing that as mentions get winamp...
TheGeek
that system will probably run mp3 format files just fine its the mp3 player that you gotta be worried about. To my knowledge there arent many drivers out there for anything under win2k and if there are it probably would be to heavy of a file to run on 100mhz
Scanner771
It should work fine the slowest computer I ran Xp on was A 166Mhz AMD K6 I had 512MB of ram though
corey
Scanner771 wrote:
It should work fine the slowest computer I ran Xp on was A 166Mhz AMD K6 I had 512MB of ram though
I did on PII-350 with 64mb. Prolly about tyhe same response.
corey
grantmaster wrote:
Sorry to say...

This system will not run MP3's that well

perhaps if you run win98 and upgrade the memory to like 256m RAM

perhaps
Sorry. This is bullshit. You can so run mp3s. mp3s can be run on a 486 with 64mb ram if necessary, with the right software.

If you want to play mp3s and still use your system, I suggest the "lite" versions fo Winamp or Ultralplayer (www.ultraplayer.com). Anything else will take too many CPU cycles to be realistic. I've been down this road. If you need suggestions or just deciding, email me via the email link (or my www, etc)
ezekiel_rage
Your system is fine you can definitely play MP3s with it and you can even watch videos, if you have a cd-rom a cvd and if you have a DVD-ROM you can watch DVD on that PC.

As i see it its not really a question of whether you can play MP3s on that machine, rather its a question of what SOFTWARE you will use to play MP3s, watch VCDs/Videos with.

beacause MP3s are just that, FILES. it will depend if the SOFTWARE/PROGRAM you will use to open these files will run smoothly with your PC.

i would suggest finding lite multimedia apps, or better yet ijust use the windows media player that is bundled with Win98