FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IPOD software and ITUNES. BIG problems!!!

charleypetersen
Has anyone else here experienced problems with IPODS and the software that they come with?

Has anyone else received virtually no support from apple and the pathetic technical help site?

I have had nothing but problems with the two IPOD nanos i brought for my girlfriend and her sister at christmas.

Firstly Itunes stopped loading up saying "Itunes has encountered an error and needs to close" I finally managed to trace the problem to some codecs i had installed but there was absolutely no way of resolving the problem without wiping the hard disk and starting from scratch

Then just a couple of days ago i had another problem, this time with the other IPOD. It stopped recognising that it had any songs on it and came up with a "firmware error" in the software running the IPOD itself. I tried everything on the site to no avail as the restore program would not fix it because it couldnt write to the device. I tried to perform a reset on it and the thing wont switch back on now! they said it would need to cahrge for half an hour but three hours later and its stuffed!!!!!

After a gruelling search through the forums looking for a cure i finally found out you can send them back under warranty for this fault but the most surprising thing was how many people have had the same problems! I mean literally thousands!!

So listen hit me back if you have had problems too and i will try and help you fix them
wumingsden
charleypetersen wrote:
Has anyone else here experienced problems with IPODS and the software that they come with?

Has anyone else received virtually no support from apple and the pathetic technical help site?

I have had nothing but problems with the two IPOD nanos i brought for my girlfriend and her sister at christmas.

Firstly Itunes stopped loading up saying "Itunes has encountered an error and needs to close" I finally managed to trace the problem to some codecs i had installed but there was absolutely no way of resolving the problem without wiping the hard disk and starting from scratch

Then just a couple of days ago i had another problem, this time with the other IPOD. It stopped recognising that it had any songs on it and came up with a "firmware error" in the software running the IPOD itself. I tried everything on the site to no avail as the restore program would not fix it because it couldnt write to the device. I tried to perform a reset on it and the thing wont switch back on now! they said it would need to cahrge for half an hour but three hours later and its stuffed!!!!!

After a gruelling search through the forums looking for a cure i finally found out you can send them back under warranty for this fault but the most surprising thing was how many people have had the same problems! I mean literally thousands!!

So listen hit me back if you have had problems too and i will try and help you fix them

I had a similar problem with my iPod shuffle. I took it back to the shop that I brought it from and got a replacement which was all good. I read somewhere that most iPod's have problems with them. I really don't know why I brought the Shuffle in the first place to be honest. You can charge it up but only a certain amount of times. After this the battery needs replacing which will probably cost more than the Shuffle itself in the first place. This is why I'm not going to buy another iPod any time soon, for now I'll stick with my Shuffle but after that I'll go back to my good old MP3 Player. Granted it cannot hold as much songs but at least theres been no problems with it and I've had it for really long
TheDrunkenClam
Quote:

I had a similar problem with my iPod shuffle. I took it back to the shop that I brought it from and got a replacement which was all good. I read somewhere that most iPod's have problems with them. I really don't know why I brought the Shuffle in the first place to be honest. You can charge it up but only a certain amount of times. After this the battery needs replacing which will probably cost more than the Shuffle itself in the first place. This is why I'm not going to buy another iPod any time soon, for now I'll stick with my Shuffle but after that I'll go back to my good old MP3 Player. Granted it cannot hold as much songs but at least theres been no problems with it and I've had it for really long

wumingsden,

Any chemical battery can only be charged and discharged a certain number of times before they wear out. That's just a physical limitation and there's nothing you can do about it. The only way around that is to get a music player that uses standard sized batteries. The problem with those is that you have to use a larger form factor to accomodate the larger standard sized batteries. Look at the iPod nano. The only standard off the shelf battery you could buy for something that thin is a watch battery, which would last you all of 15 minutes.

Also an interesting side note, the flash memory in your new Shuffle will eventually wear out if you keep using it. Erase operations are destructive in flash memory. Granted, I think it would take your more than a decade to wear out your flash memory if you erased the entire memory of your Shuffle every day.
charleypetersen
its a shame that apple havent got this sorted. I mean how long have IPODS been around for now? 5 or 6 years! its ridiculous to think that a company as far ahead of the pack as apple is having these problems and not sorted them out yet!!
TheDrunkenClam
Charley, you make me laugh. I've been saying the exact same thing about Microsoft for years. They've been in the Windows business for decades and their OS still sucks. Gotta have firewalls, spyware detectors, and antivirus to keep the computers alive. Even then you still need to reformat every 6 months. You'd think after all those years they'd get all the kinks worked out. Thank goodness I've moved on to better operating systems.