FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Urban Legends

yukimura_gw
The four kings in a deck of playing cards represent Charlemagne, David, Caesar, and Alexander.

How many time my dads was saying that to me. I take it as granted
and even sprayed what I thought was a fact. Until I made some research
and find out thats its false.

Quick link :
http://www.snopes.com/history/world/cardking.htm

There's a lot of false "Fact" going around. From people to people. It is
part of our culture but I think its the time to develop more critic to what
people say to us.

How many time I open my Emails with my friends writing me to pass
an Email to 10 others person to gain Wealth. Please reconsider it. Its
just won't happen.

No! Febreeze won't kill you cat! No, you didn't won a lottery! No, your
bank didn't lose your information. No! your male proud won't get bigger
from spam emails.

Really sometime people report me information that I can't just
trust and a little search on Google or Snopes.com report that
its false or true.

Sorry this thread isn't there to fear you. (A lot of people think
that Urban Legend are fear stories. Another Urban Legend)

Remember, develop critic and don't believe all things that you
hear. Also, films are fictions, not reality! And Internet isn't always
the truth Laughing (OMG who to trust?)
Lennon
How many competitions / scratch cards have you received in the post telling you that you won the prize of $1m?

Then there's santa claus, easter bunny, fairies, leprechauns (we do not have leprechauns in Ireland by the way).
embrace.guild
Lol, thats what they want you to think. Of course there is leprechauns. Why do you think yuo guys drink so much? (im irish too dont worry). Anyways those are known ones, but there are alot of wierder urban myths and thats why im happy to say, watch discovery channel, especially the myth busters. Not sure if they are on by you, but they are by me and solve alot of stuff.
svecia
Most(new) urban legend can bee reconized just by the use of reasoning.
For instace all those awful diets .
Sure You lose weight if You eat just garlic and raw eggs , but do You like it ?
Others just deal with our fear. Like how You get / avoid Bird flue .
There isn't any big danger , You are more likley to get killed by a car anyway but
they have been around for a century now so there is no fun makeing up
legends about that.
Manus et Therion
I just have to post my reply here. What a disappointing thread this is. The subject title was Urban Legends, yet almost all that has been discussed here are internet scams. Scams and Urban Legends are not the same thing. And myths? Some are cultural myths that serve societal purposes, others are just for fun. Urban Legends, on the other hand, are a subset of the myth structure and also often serve some purpose. Urban Myths, unlike the religious ones of old and the social ones like Santa and the Easter Bunny, are usually based on some factual event(s) that have gone blown out of reality. A common urban myth is the boogie man, another urban myth is the Jersey Devil. Area 51 falls within the category almost. Backwards masking on rock and roll songs is another good urban legend. As also is the urban legend about Howard Hughes hitch-hiking in the desert. So on and so on. What has been discussed above does not fall within the definition of urban legend. Please say what you mean and mean what you say when you draw me into your threads with the subject line.
yukimura_gw
Internet Scam are used by frauder. They surely go into fraud section. The nigerian scam being the most common. (the one with big money to share b/c husband died...etc...) But those scam can go into Urban Legend the way people interpret them.

But some others can go into Urban Legend like the one that said Microsoft will pay you 100$ for each person you follow-up the message. (lol, I have forwarded that one in that time). The Febreeze that kill pets is also a urban legend. They are now pass to others by Email but they retain the title of Urban Legend.

Snopes.com have a good definition of Urban legend :
http://www.snopes.com/info/faq.asp

School is also a good place for Urban Legend to spread. I remember that one.

"A teacher gave an exam with 'Tell me what his courage' as subject. One student wrote only 'That is courage' on his exam and got 100%." Maybe you heard about it, maybe it was your friend. (lol, one friend of mine was telling it was his friend and that it was true, thus a good candidate for Urban Legend).

Sorry Manus if your are deceived about this subject. Myth and Urban Legend are easily mixed up.
Santa Claus was created by Coca Cola. Is it a myth or a urban legend?
It is surely not a fact because Santa Claus wasn't created by Coca Cola.
Ref. : http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp

(Yes i use Snopes.com a lot because they give the source where they got the information.)
Manus et Therion
"Santa Claus was created by Cocoa Cola" is does indeed qualify as urban legend, and I can see how internet scams can evolve into the urban legend category. I accept your apology (if i understand what you were saying correctly). I enjoy urban legends, always have. I, for one, know them for what they are and don't fall into the "believer" category. My favorite urban legend has to be the one about pop rocks and cocoa cola. The legend states that if you swallow the one, and then the other, your stomach will explode. Not true, but funny anyway.
skaccomatto
Alligators in New York sewage.

The spider that enter your ear, then seed eggs on your brain and your head explode in a few days.

People sticking various objects in their butts.

The dog that is actually a big mouse that eat up other dogs.

The biker that after falling down, takes out his helmet and got his head split in two parts.

The cats grown in bottles.

Drugs on the back of stamps.

Razor blades hidden in bread loafs.

People kidnapped and when they wake up they have their kidneys stolen.

Various on ghosts hitchikers.

Silicon breasts exploded on airplanes.

People got stuck while having sex.

Ricky Martyn having an affair with his dog.

Tons on cell phones phishing.

I have a lot more if you like, I have been involved in a urban legend USENET group for years... this stuff is so funny sometimes!! Laughing
Starflier
Stuffed Camel, is considered an Urban Ledgend
It was put in a cookbook, but most experts consider it a hoax. Though appearently there is a grain of truth to it, it may have been served at some East Indian weddings, but the evidence supporting that is fairly unsupportive. But if you want to give it a try, here's the recipie:

Stuffed Camel

1 whole camel, medium size
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chickens, medium size
60 eggs
12 kilos rice
2 kilos pine nuts
2 kilos almonds
1 kilo pistachio nuts
110 gallons water
5 pounds black pepper
Salt to taste

Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken. Boil until tender. Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice. Hard boil eggs and peel. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens. Add more rice. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts. Serves friendly crowd of 80-100.
- Shararazod Eboli Home Economist, Dammam, Saudi Arabia
ocalhoun
Starflier wrote:
Stuffed Camel, is considered an Urban Ledgend
It was put in a cookbook, but most experts consider it a hoax. Though appearently there is a grain of truth to it, it may have been served at some East Indian weddings, but the evidence supporting that is fairly unsupportive. But if you want to give it a try, here's the recipie:

Stuffed Camel

1 whole camel, medium size
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chickens, medium size
60 eggs
12 kilos rice
2 kilos pine nuts
2 kilos almonds
1 kilo pistachio nuts
110 gallons water
5 pounds black pepper
Salt to taste

Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken. Boil until tender. Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice. Hard boil eggs and peel. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens. Add more rice. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts. Serves friendly crowd of 80-100.
- Shararazod Eboli Home Economist, Dammam, Saudi Arabia

BBQ me and you...
Starflier
Okaaayy...
You bring the camel, I've no idea where I'd pick up one of those...
Starflier
yukimura_gw wrote:

No, but the Red and White colour of his suit was.
Jack_Hammer
Starflier wrote:
yukimura_gw wrote:

No, but the Red and White colour of his suit was.

Yes Santa Claus
(St.Nicholas)

Was around way before Coca Cola, (As above Santa Claus comes from St.Nicholas giving away presents to orphans on Christmas) and Coca Cola drew Santa Claus for an advertisment with a red and white coat, the way he looks nowadays, before that he wasn't always red and white, his coat was often green among other colours.
ocalhoun
Hurray for coca-cola!