FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

violent show

letianer
Action movie has another name, that is violent movie. Some people in sociological field say violent show makes people more violent. Others think violent show make people less violent, because of a theory called catharsis, which states the experience of watching purges the spectator of strong emotions. therefor the more aggression one watches the less the tendency towards violent behavior.

I am not sure the credibility of Catharsis theory. however, let's suppose the theroy is ture. Still, this can not say the violent show does not make people more violent, because i don't think the the most of shows on TV and movie are violent enough, so what i suggest is to have people watch some extremelly violent show, this at least fill the situation of the theory.

what u guys think?
Tumbleweed
I think violence on t.v in films ect is a good way to desensitise a human Crying or Very sad
Olivia Wood
I think any hypothetical increase in violence in modern society can be attributed more to an excess of idleness than any subversive influence of the media - and by that I mean the way kids are hearded into schools to and forced to do absolutely meaningless tasks until they're old enough to do society any good, or the way poverty forces other people into inaction by taking away all their options.

Seriously, violence stems from frustration (or, you know, dementia, but that's kind of hard to fix, so we'll ignore it) and while watching a violent film might make you forget about your frustrations for a while, and maybe give you some temporary vicarious relief, ultimately it doesn't solve the underlying causes for your frustration. And it certainly doesn't increase your level of frustration - except for maybe if you're one of those people militantly trying to ban the violent films, in which case it might. Razz

So yeah, I don't think it makes much of a difference one way or another. If anything it's an indication of how wonderfully nonviolent our society is, that we find blood and explosions to be exotic enough to be entertaining.
Lennon
Instead of choosing suitable programs for the audience, the audience should choose their suitable programs. Everyone has different sensitivities and tastes.
sarp
i think this is disgusting... ighghg.. Embarassed
adwya
thanx

alot
ocalhoun
Olivia Wood wrote:

Seriously, violence stems from frustration (or, you know, dementia, but that's kind of hard to fix, so we'll ignore it)

That is the only way violent films cause violence...
They may cause dementia!
Just ask Don Quixote de La Mancha...
silliman
I can only speak from my own experience. I watch violent movies and yet watching violent movies in no way incites me to want to feel violent or act out my own anger or frustration in life.

Speaking from observations, I have a friend who grew up amidst the "Killing Fields" in Cambodia. His daily life was far more graphic and horrific than any depiction found on television.

By the age of 12, he was a child soldier living in the jungle, fighting, killing and trying to stay alive.

He's a peace-loving person at age 39.

I think the "idiot box" (as my mom used to call the television) as spawned a lot of idiot ideas. I hope the people who have watched violence on TV don't come after me for having been so critical. Wink
Soulfire
Well, the real world is no different than the violence in the movies. Everywhere you look there are murders, rape, robberies, terrorists blowing things up.

Reminds me of a song:
People killing, people dying, children hurt, and you hear them crying. Can you practice what you preach, would you turn the other cheek? Father, Father, Father help us, send some guidance from above. You got me, got me questioning, where is the love?
gonzo
viewing violence for it's own sake can never be cathartic for a mentally healthy person