FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DirectAdmin for me (instead of Cpanel)?

jaminx
I apologize if this is in the FAQ and I missed it. Is there any reason why I'd have access for DirectAdmin but not CPanel for my FRIHost webspace?

Direct Admin: (works)
http://jamiecarlson.frih.net/config/

CPanel: (no such luck Sad)
http://jamiecarlson.frih.net/cpanel/

I'd really like to use Fantastico, but I can't seem to find that functionality in DirectAdmin.

Thanks in advance for your help!
- Jamie
dan751
Sorry, There's no cPanel for you or new users. Only DirectAdmin. The reason, is because the cPanel server load was getting way too high, the second (new) server, only has DA and not cPanel, meaning that you and new users are on the second server. Therefore, you don't have Fantastico, and the original author of Fantastico doesn't have any variations for DA. There are other script installers for DA, but it doesn't look like Bondings will be putting any in for a little while. Sorry for any disappointments.
n0obie4life
Anyway, it's not really good to use Fantastico as you don't learn much.

Try installing the things yourself Wink.
riv
I've always wondered why server 2 has DirectAdmin instead of cPanel... Is it a cost reason?
n0obie4life
riv wrote:
I've always wondered why server 2 has DirectAdmin instead of cPanel... Is it a cost reason?

Directadmin is more stable.
Less bugs.
Cheaper.
Simplier.
Less System Intensive

Fantastico is very easy to use but it has a lot of disadvantages. People are installing all available software, just for trying it out. They then forget to remove them. So then it occupies a lot of disk space and generates a lot of cpu-usage, certainly when someone makes a backup of 200MB Wink.
Daniel15
n0obie4life wrote:
riv wrote:

Directadmin is more stable.
Less bugs.
Cheaper.
Simplier.
Less System Intensive

Fantastico is very easy to use but it has a lot of disadvantages. People are installing all available software, just for trying it out. They then forget to remove them. So then it occupies a lot of disk space and generates a lot of cpu-usage, certainly when someone makes a backup of 200MB Wink.

In case you don't know, that's n0obie's famous quote about DirectAdmin! He's used that about 6 times

And yeah, DirectAdmin is better, and a lot cheaper than cPanel. Data Centres usually charge monthly fees for cPanel, whereas they usually only charge a once-off fee for DirectAdmin
mariohs
Just try installing it yourself, as Noobie said, you will learn a lot more and will not leave trying softwares goofing around in the server there's always tutorials available all over the place, if you still don't find the way to do it, feel free to ask for help here... Wink
n0obie4life
daniel15 wrote:
In case you don't know, that's n0obie's famous quote about DirectAdmin! He's used that about 6 times

Wink.

That's the ownage quote on DA Wink