FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Composting

armanandjulia
Composting is a simple process that we can all achieve in our homes. Our hands our being forced to deal creatively with our own yard waste, as one by one, cities are refusing to haul off our leaves and grass clippings. About one third of the space in landfills is taken up with organic waste from our yards and kitchens, just the type of material that can be used in compost. With a small investment in time, you can contribute to the solution to a community problem, while at the same time enriching the soil and improving the health of the plants on your property.

Go to compostguide.com for more info
mstreet
Composting is a great idea. The one thing though I find it very hard and just not really doable to do this when you live in an apartment/flat not enough space and well no garden/outside common area either.
xygblarbin
uhh... the only real point to composting is that you don't throw away yard clippings, thus increasing the size of the landfills. Obviously it has some soil nutrient benefit, but i think the main point of composting campaigns is to keep it out of trashbags inside of landfills... so... uh... if you live in an apartment, i wouldn't exactly be worried about it. What a strange post.
Soulfire
It seems to be a new trend by our house. All the organic material is placed into peoples' gardens and whatnot, buried, and makes very nice growing soil for home gardens.
riv_
Composting isn't a big deal where I live. But bears are a problem.
All you city people think it's no big deal, and talk about environmental awareness and whatnot...
But here, we have half a dozen black bears take over our yard every fall... with or without compost. We're actually planning to NOT compost next year (for the first time) now that we have a small child around.
I guess everyone has to do what they can to live a sustainable lifestyle... but the answers aren't always so simple and a solution that works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for another.
Not to sound all intense. Embarassed Sorry. I'm glad you're doing it. I'm sure your gardens will tahnk you! My garden will be very sad without all the extra nutrients next year Crying or Very sad