FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HDD and OS Question

shwetanshu
I have a compaq comp with original windows which was pre-installed. Now if i make an image of my HDD which came with computer which has OS installed on it and then buy a new HDD and copy that image to new hdd and then make the new HDD primary, then boot with it... will it boot?? i mean after fixmbr (if that helps).

Will there be any problem later on??

Here's my comp config:
Quote:
Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.9 GHz 845 GL Chipset
Intel Original Mobo
WinXP Home Edition with SP2
Compaq 17? CRT Monitor
Seagate Barracuda 40 GB @ 5400 RPM & 160 GB @ 7200 RPM (PATA)
Kingston 1GB DDR SDRAM @ 400MHz running @ 266MHz
Logitech Optical Mouse & Compaq Keyboard
Pinnacle PCTV Stereo TV Tuner
LG Combo Drive & BenQ DW 1640 DVD Writer
Creative SB Live! 5.1 Sound Card
Altec Lansing ATP 3 Speakers
HP 3420 Deskjet Printer
256 MB Jet Flash Transcend Pen Drive
40 GB External HDD (Jugaad)
RiCtee
The pc would definately still boot in theory unless there's something wrong with the bios. After all every thing is in your hard drive right??

P/s: there's really no need for all those hardware.
djclue917
RiCtee wrote:
The pc would definately still boot in theory unless there's something wrong with the bios. After all every thing is in your hard drive right??

P/s: there's really no need for all those hardware.

Yup. It will work if you do everything the right way, that is.
I've already tried doing that when my cousin bought a new hard disk. We just used the hard disk's included software to copy ALL the data from the old HDD to the newer one. By the way, the hard disk's vendor is Western Digital. You could also try software/procedures to copy ALL those data from the older disk to the newer one.

Hope that helps... Smile
comp615
The only time it wouldn't work would be if you missed some files (which using an image should prevent), or if you changed hardware. I know windows XP will sometimes get mad at you if there are too many hardware changes at once after activation. I guess it's to prevent piracy. But after re-installing and adding hardware a couple times Win XP wouldn't let me activate it and I had to call.

In theory though changing hard drives, it wouldn't even notice Smile So no need to re-activate.
Naif
Yes, it will boot but you'll have to install a boot loader on to the new hard disk. For that first you'll have to boot using a bootable Windows CD and use fixmbr.
SoftStag
If you use a package like Powequest's Drive Image, then this is very simple to do. There is no need to fix the MBR either as because the entire hard drive is copied, everything will be in exactly the same place.

I have done this many times with no problems.
shwetanshu
the thing is i have OEM computer and after i added Sound Crd, TV Tuner, it refused to do proper recovery, only after i removed them, then only performed right recovery
scottdallas
sounds like you got what you needed to know. i agree though. should work great.. which means you're ahead of the game and dont really need that partition if you can just make your own copy of your working windows without them.
shwetanshu
ok it worked .. got a new 160 GB hdd