FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which book is best for beginner of PHP and MySQL?

bigtone
I am newer with PHP and MySQL. What I am familiar with is Java, JSP and SQL.

Can you recommed me some books? I wish I can find a good way to learn how to use them.

Thanks.
Marston
Everything PHP and MySql
roeenoy
No one need a book to learn php.

you can learn every thing you want on the internet and not spend money on a book who his author dont know any php.
bigtone
Thanks you guys. I will try the both ways.
kiranaghor
PHP and Mysql Visual Quickpro Guide. Peachpit Press. Very nice. The kool thing about this book is that it includes sufficient info about using PHP n MySql on mac os x too.
the other book I read were only abt Windows n Linux. U can also try 'Beginning PHP5' and 'Beginning PHP5,mysql and Apache' by Wrox books. I like their approach. After finishing then u can go for their 'professional' series.
Aelita
If you want an actual answer to that question it's php. You automatically learn how to deal with MySQL when you start learning php.... PHP include scripts of its own that deal with MySQL databases So my answer is going to be PHP....

Oh HAHA you're asking the exact name of a book to learn well in that case I'd say as a beginners guide. In that case I would say visuals PHP book. it's an excellant tool to begin learning as well as a quick guide even for those who already know a lot about it...
Atomo64
If you want to learn PHP and use it at all, be able to write scripts as if you were writing a letter... then buy the Zend Certification Study Guide... it includes many things that you would never find out on the inet.
BardMan
Cool, I'm new to PhP and MySQL too. I'll look into this stuff, thanks alot Smile
PatTheGreat42
Although you could learn just about everything you need to know about PHP and MySQL from ye old internet, I would definately recommend getting a good book.

I learned PHP from PHP for Dummies, by Janet Valade. It's a great book. Makes the whole thing very simple, and provides useful tips and a lot of examples of code, along with useful function lists, etc. But if you're main focus is using PHP and databases, I'd opt for PHP and MySQL for Dummies. I haven't read it, but it's also by Janet Valade, so it's probably good.

Man I love the Dummies series.
NewGuyinTown
It takes me 30 minutes to learn how to use PHP and mySQL from online tutorials. Learn the functions and start programming. Books are always too descriptive. I do not read half the stuff on the tutorial, never mind reading a book. If you have questions, you can always seek help from people in forums. Practice plays the largest role in learning. The Internet is a great resource in learning computer languages.

I don't know about learning how to logically and efficiently use those code... Perhaps the book is better resource in that field.
Atomo64
I don't think that a book is going to teach you... you HAVE TO look at some code... and try programming first, always try... and when you have a problem... take a look at the php manual Wink there's no better way to learn a language
Simulator
PHP and MySQL for Dummies, I learned from that book, I think its really good, and its not all just code code code, there is some jokes in there too, so it keeps you alive for a while before you lose all you human fealings.....
svecia
A great PHP Mysql book is Greenspan and Bulgars 'Mysql/PHP Database applications'
it has lots of useful examples. I also like the 'Black book' series from Coriolis but those
are more the dictonary type wich is more usefull as a reference book.