FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Outlook Express

jarred89
Hello,
I am using outlook express and I was wondering if there is away i can put all the emails i have recieved on my desktop onto my laptop as i am going away from home for a couple of days. Thanks
Nyizsa
I think Briefcase is for something like that, but I have never used it. Anyway, you can always export all of your messages and import them on your laptop.
Animal
jarred89 wrote:
Hello,
I am using outlook express and I was wondering if there is away i can put all the emails i have recieved on my desktop onto my laptop as i am going away from home for a couple of days. Thanks

Yes, you can. Search for "*.dbx" files (without the " marks) using the Windows Search tool on your desktop computer - this will find files like "inbox.dbx" etc. Copy them to a disk or flash drive, then copy them to the same location on your laptop (the best way to do this is to search for "*.dbx" files on the laptop, delete them and replace them with the copies from your desktop).

Before you do this, it would be a good idea to "compact folders" - this will reduce the .dbx file size.

I would also suggest that you change some settings on your laptop - tell it to "leave messages on the server" for your email accounts. That way, when you return to use your desktop, all the emails will re-download to the desktop so that you won't have to copy your .dbx files across again.

Hope this helps! Very Happy
headlong
Right click on the email folder name in your outlook express, such as Inbox. Choose Properties, you can find "This folder is stored in the following file:"

Then just copy that file to your new computer.
steveadams617
Outlook Express is vulnerable to viruses, etc. Might be a good time to install Thunderbird on your desktop (http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/) and import all your Outlook Express mail and then figure out how to move that to your laptop. Smile Just a thought.
scottdallas
you can completely steal your entire outlook express settings and address book. it's all saved in hidden folders and files that are plain text (just so you know how safe you are) i used to test stealing email from myself just to see if i could do it. but anyways it's in your c:\documents and settings\ somewhere.. just dont ask me where. if you really are interested i'll hunt it down and figure it out again.
abhinav_shah
There's a backup file stored on your HDD. The extension is *.pst.
Search for that file and save it on your laptop.

http://www.abhinav.frih.net
http://www.abhinavs.uni.cc