FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

a tsunami hits Africa every month

earthchild
As Bono put it on Feb 2. (paraphrased somewhat below)

150,000 people died in the Tsunami that hit Asia and parts of Africa... and the world donated millions upon millions of dollars.

Yet atleast that many people die in Africa every month from preventable diseases - and the world pretty much stands by and does nothing (when compared with the level of help given for the tsunami victims.)

That kinda puts things in perspective. I didn't know this and thought it was interesting and worth sharing... so there you go.
Devil
it is cuz of thier currupt leaders, the money never makes it to the Needy .
Mark999111
Exactly, nobody can help Africa until people like President Mugabi (sp?) are out of power.
naraki
I don't know much about politics in Africa but it's sad to know that many people die from such diseases that can be prevented.

In my perspective, Tsunami was a big tragedy that media around the world paid a lot of attention to. Viewers were influenced by media because it was an extraordinary situation. If media reports more on disease in Africa and people can see what happens there, I think people will respond the same way or at lease do something to help.
Reaper
You are partly right, part of the problem is nation leaders but you cant exacly blame this on them 100% Africa is a big continet divided into smaller countrys which makes trading supplys hard especially with little to no road ways.
Also keep in mind that each nation must take care of their own needs and wants first before they can help another nations needs and wants.