FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Some questions for Linux Experts

ibay
First of all, let me tell you about my experiment with Linux.
After much hesitation I finally gave a try to the Linux operating system.
The distribution I installed was Fedora Core by RedHat. I used to think that installing Linux was different than installing windows, so I was unsure whether I would be able to do it or not. But what I found out was totally different, it is much more easy to install and discover Linux than it is for Windows.
But only problem I have faced so far is that Linux did not detect my modem, and I do not know how to install it. It only shows the path of the generic modem driver, but I do not know how to give it the path of driver CD because I do not understand the drive and folder names. Can anyone help me with that?
dandelion
What modem - internal or external - do you use?

If you have one of those winmodems it may be impossible to detect it under Linux at all. Sad
And with an external serial modem just don't worry about the driver - none is needed. Very Happy
ibay
I have internal Intel Chipset modem. I dont know what is winmodem.
Naif
Hi. If you have an Internal modem, most propably it is a winmodem.

Q. What is a winmodem?
Ans. A winmodem is a software and not a hardware modem which needs drivers to work. If there are Linux drivers available for your modem, you might be able to make it work under Linux. Winmodems are also known or reffered to as softmodems. For more info, check out the wiki page on winmodems located at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winmodem
Nyizsa
You can try to search for a driver using your modem's Vendor ID and Product ID. Include also 'Fedora' or 'RedHat'. But yes, winmodems are unlikely to work under Linux...
kiranaghor
just get an external modem. Almost all the xternal modems work great with any Linux. Winmodem are 4 windows only (I know thats not true but still...). U can try www.linmodems.org . It has support for winmodems for linux.