FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Programming vs Career

turbopowerdmaxsteel
Yeah! You saw it wright. "Programming vs Career" not "Programming and Career". Let me elaborate.

I am 19 and have been programming for few years now. My language wallet is comprised of GW Basic (that I learnt in my school), C++ (in Higher Secondary) and the VB 6.0 IDE (perhaps the easiest of them all). Currently I am prepairing for the Joint Entrance Exams, here in India, for Computer Science and Engineering. Actually, I am not quite into studying my course material and my career is in disarray, because of my immense passion for Computers, be it Programming, Gaming or just tweaking around. I wonder if there's any one else with this sort of a problem. Neverthless, I still enjoy my 19 hours with the Computer (which I have been doing almost mechanically since the last three and a half years or so), despite occasional scrutiny by parents and constant feeling of remorse for what I have done. I would like to hear from you guys over here as to what you think of a weirdo like me. Besides, how much of a scope is there for a good (I guess I can rate myself good, on the other hand hand you guys wouldn't agree, since you don't know me! Ah! know me yet, that is Wink ) programmer without a degree in this market. Not to forget, I am really looking forward to getting to 5 Posts.
horseatingweeds
turbopowerdmaxsteel wrote:
Yeah! You saw it wright. "Programming vs Career" not "Programming and Career". Let me elaborate.

I am 19 and have been programming for few years now. My language wallet is comprised of GW Basic (that I learnt in my school), C++ (in Higher Secondary) and the VB 6.0 IDE (perhaps the easiest of them all). Currently I am prepairing for the Joint Entrance Exams, here in India, for Computer Science and Engineering. Actually, I am not quite into studying my course material and my career is in disarray, because of my immense passion for Computers, be it Programming, Gaming or just tweaking around. I wonder if there's any one else with this sort of a problem. Neverthless, I still enjoy my 19 hours with the Computer (which I have been doing almost mechanically since the last three and a half years or so), despite occasional scrutiny by parents and constant feeling of remorse for what I have done. I would like to hear from you guys over here as to what you think of a weirdo like me. Besides, how much of a scope is there for a good (I guess I can rate myself good, on the other hand hand you guys wouldn't agree, since you don't know me! Ah! know me yet, that is Wink ) programmer without a degree in this market. Not to forget, I am really looking forward to getting to 5 Posts.

Don't kid yourself turbo, a degree is gold. You could be the best programer on the planet and never get an interview.

It's like this, a degree get the interview, your self presentation gets you the job, your skills and abilities keep you from getting canned.

If you love programing, DON"T BE A 19 YEAR OLD FOOL. Get your degree. Otherwise you could easily end up spending the rest of your life NOT programing.
lockwolf
There are very few people that don't have a degree in computer science and work in the field of programming. Also, its highly compeditive, I would reccomend at least going for a Masters.
the_mariska
Well I actually know some people good enough that they gave up their studies as they were hired without an degree, but they are exceptions. If you're as good in programming as you say, the studies will be quite easy for you, right? And who said that you can't work part-time while studying - a lot of people in my country do so Wink
Marston
I would reccomend doing something that won't wreck your wrists and eyeballs for a career... Laughing
otiscom
A degree in any subject is a must.

But don't think having a degree will guarantee you a job!

It shows if nothing else you are capable of applying yourself to disiplined thought processes.

riv_
Well, you never know what life has in store, so you might as well do what you love.
Most people I know are doing what they ended up doing, not what they started out doing. And that's OK. Don't be afraid to try something. It ain't over till it's over.
As for me, I started out in genetics, but didn't want to have to live in the city, so ended up working in dentistry. Then I got sick, and now I'm working from home on the computer...
You just never know where life's going to lead. You can't waste time worrying about making the wrong decision. You just have to do something and don't look back.
But what do I know...
Sappho
horseatingweeds wrote:
Don't kid yourself turbo, a degree is gold. You could be the best programer on the planet and never get an interview.

It's like this, a degree get the interview, your self presentation gets you the job, your skills and abilities keep you from getting canned.

I must strongly disagree with this, degree means NOTHING around here, its always portfolio what gets u the interview.

But yet it may be different in ur country, it was a time around here that degree meant something but many companies found out that hobby programmers (yea those fanatics) are much more effective and more capable than those with degrees. Ofcourse that there are hobby programmers with a degree but most of em gave up school since they are way better programmers than Uni proffesors so no point to continue when there is nothing to learn.
horseatingweeds
Sappho wrote:
horseatingweeds wrote:

I must strongly disagree with this, degree means NOTHING around here, its always portfolio what gets u the interview.

But yet it may be different in ur country, it was a time around here that degree meant something but many companies found out that hobby programmers (yea those fanatics) are much more effective and more capable than those with degrees. Ofcourse that there are hobby programmers with a degree but most of em gave up school since they are way better programmers than Uni proffesors so no point to continue when there is nothing to learn.

I would agree with your disagreement if the boy was in his thirties or forties. He is, however, 19 and entry level. Companies hire people at this stage for their potential intending on training them, usually. Clay

Your portfolio matters when a company is hiring you to do something no one they currently have can really do. Scalper
SunburnedCactus
Unless you have years of experience a degree is a necessary credential.
psycosquirrel
Do what you think is right for yourself. It sounds like you have much experience in programming, and getting a degree in programming would only make your experience concrete.
clip
A degree is essential. You can never consider yourself a programmer unless you do have one because no matter what you do or how good your are for yourself, companies don't have the time to listen to your life's story and how you become good. All they need to see is your diploma.

And hence, make Programming you career. ^^ As what I'm aiming for! Very Happy
turbopowerdmaxsteel
Thanks for the advice people.
neosree
And turbo, me too from India, and have almost same portfolio as yours. I do study C++ in 12 th satndard, but I am not taht good in programming, so I decided to go with networking section. I am 19 now, and thinking of a good career - not just a job. Abnd for your case, try hard to get JEE, if you can, and atleast get into some NIT, and thus build a strong career. I also write the JEE and AIEEE but failed to secure an admission in a good collage, so I abort that way, and I am currently looking for a Diploma in Computer engg, from Singapore. You can also apply for it, the application time is Mar 1 to Apr 15 so hurry. The website is www.tp.edu.sg for Temasek polytechnic, and nyp.edu.sg for Nanyang polytechnic, you can ask me if you want any specific information that you didn't get from the site. And Diploma from singapore is as competitive as a degree from an NIT. And you can complete a degree in 2 year from singapore itself.
ylmun
Well, I'm a programmer here in New York and I know that we use a lot of programmers in India.

I think a degree is important because as someone said earlier, you might start out as a programmer, but life might lead you in another direction and having the degree is just more of an assurance to others that you aren't just somebody off the street. It tells them that you have dedicated your time to something and finished it and so your aren't as big a risk as someone who doesn't have a degree. They are more willing to take a chance on you.

Now if you're very lucky then you don't need a degree. Yes, you all here the success stories of someone who started his company right out of secondary school, but are you so sure that's going to be you?
kfauber
I tell you this from expereince you can be the most talented kid in the world with a fairly decent set of skills to build on but the lack of a degree will close more doors in your face before they even bother to sit down and listen to you.

I decided after one yearr of college that I was too smart to be wasting my time sitting in a class to learn something that I have already taught myself or could teach myself faster and for free. So I did. At first it was ok, hey this was 97-98 and the tech bubble had yet to reach it's full bloated state. So opportunities were available and chances were being taken on unknowns and potential risks hey there was free money being handed out left and right. I have 1500 stock options that are worth less than a 12 pack of charmine to prove it. Once the world got it's head pryed free from it's hind quarters and logical decisions once again ruled the day then a person like me couldn't get a sniff no matter how much "potential" I carried. It wasn't until a few years back I finally ran into a company that once again took calculated risks and looked at me for my potential rather than my degree. Don't get me wrong my intial salary reflected my lack of degree but that is no longer the issue.

Sure today I now have a track record and a portfolio of work and an Outlook contacts list full of people that have seen and benefited greatly from me and my potential and I probably do not have to fear my lack of a degree as much anymore.

That said darn it I wish I had a degree because even if I "wasted" 4 years of my time getting in, the people looking for help would be much more readily willing to stop and see what kind of potential I might have
btpka3
After 2008 I will leave the institute!!!
my study is hard !!!
first term I study C,
second term I study C++,
third term I study Java,
this term I study ARM,
next term I will study .net.

I also have to study many other subject such as , Ӣ, ѧ, .......

before I leave school I have already feel the heavy of work!!!
Kaneda
Quote:
Well I actually know some people good enough that they gave up their studies as they were hired without an degree, but they are exceptions.

I'm one of those exceptions Very Happy (also, I'm new, Hi!) I've never had as much as a lecture in any IT subject. Actually studying Film and Media studies (because, as riv_ said, you might as well do what you love).

I took a part time job just formatting HTML from Word documents, and ended up being hired as a full time consultant and programmer at the company, when they figured out my credentials in other areas (C++, PHP, C#, ASP.NET, Flash/ActionScript, Java, Object Pascal, XML/(X)HTML/JavaScript/CSS etc.).

Now I don't even have TIME to get a degree Razz

But I think that's really the only way, if you don't have a degree - to swallow your pride and do a really really boring job (HTML formatting) just to get your foot on the right side of the door. And then you still have to get lucky Smile

On the other hand, here (Denmark), if you don't take a relevant job alongside your studies, you're close to guaranteed not finding a job when you're done - companies really tend to want experience and personality more so than degrees and diplomas.[/quote]
pennykia
Hi! I'm also a programmer since while I'm study. I been helping a lot of study and computer to wrote program. But now I decide to work outside and gain more operation work experience. Logistic is my choice, I believe a next after I will be experience enough to write a complete Logistic Software to earn my BONUS Smile

If u truely belive you can write good program, dont do for company do it for you ownself( Freelancer). Coz normally complete will only promote higher qualification, coz they know your qualification aint easy to get high paid outside unless some1 admited your skill
hahame
Career ...

i have made a programmer career at the university two years ago, but for now,my life have change more againt my programmer career. sometimes i doubt that ,my programmer career just a homework of the teacher given.
iiimcciii
Let me share this experience.. i was taking up bs math.. but got bored and do programming for almost 3 years.. til i realized.. hey! i need my degree before they over exploit me with small salary... so i went back to school and now, i have my degree at last.

My advice is.. have a stable career and let your programming skills be bonus points.