FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can I burn an ISO image larger than 700mb on a 700mb CD?

Blademasters
I am trying to burn an ISO image that is 783mb in size using Nero 6. I have read that even that an image file could be larger than 700mb when is burned as image it will fit on a 700mb CD but nero keeps asking for another CD because it will not fit. Any help?
thiamshui
there shld b an options menu in NERO Burning ROM where u can set overburning properties.. try adjusting the values there.. however, take note that overburning is not recommended n it can damage yr disc or yr writer.. u hav to burn it in disc-at-once (DAO) mode..

or u can buy 90min/870mb cds..
mOrpheuS
Blademasters wrote:
I am trying to burn an ISO image that is 783mb in size using Nero 6. I have read that even that an image file could be larger than 700mb when is burned as image it will fit on a 700mb CD but nero keeps asking for another CD because it will not fit. Any help?

Preferences -> Expert Options ->Enable "short lead-out" (works only in Disk At Once mode).

This will let you burn another 15 MB into a regular 700MB CD-R/RW.
Note that you must use Disk-at-once mode only.
That means no multi-session. Sad

Also you can overburn further by plainly relying on your burner and the blank media.
The best I've been able to achieve with a good quality 700 mb cd-r is 754 MB.

I'm afraid that for 783 MB you're going to have to buy a 800MB media, which is usually priced much higher than a 700 MB one.
The procedure to burn a 800MB cd-r in Nero is the same as that for burning a overburn disk.
dandelion
Well, does anyone have (or can link to) some representative statistics on overriding 700 Mb CD-R? Like to the failure percent when you try to write 705 Mb data on 700 Mb CD-R; 710 Mb data; 750 Mb, and so on.
SunburnedCactus
Depends on the media. Obviously the probability of failure is much greater on cheap un-branded CDRs, but it also depends on the drive and so on.
Blademasters
I guess I must buy the new media instead since 783 is a far stretch from 700. I did managed to burn another image wich was more than 700 but less than 783 using the instructions here so thanks.
vignesh_natraj
You cab do it, there is a option called overburn in NERO use that
Srs2388
i wish you could simply use two or three disks for stuff like "split it"
webbone
You can use split tools to split the file or use winrar,Use NERO Burning ROM overburning less 714M!
ShatteredGlass
Burn it on a DVD, simple as that. Or try Overburn, but that's touchy.
Blademasters
I tried burning the image on a dvd but Nero refused to burn it asking for a different media.
matrix07
OPEN THE NERO APPLICATION,AFTER THAT CLICK NERO EXPRESS DEN CLICK AGAIN "MORE" OPTION,DEN CLICK ON "CONFIGURE" OPTION DEN CLICK ON "EXPERT FEATURES" AT DIS MENU CLICK ON "ENABLE GENERATION ON SHORT LEAD OUT" DATS IT MAN BUT FOR DIS FACILITY
YOU MUST HAVE LATEST NERO SOFTWARE DAT IS "NERO 6"!!
Clash
matrix07 wrote:
OPEN THE NERO APPLICATION,AFTER THAT CLICK NERO EXPRESS DEN CLICK AGAIN "MORE" OPTION,DEN CLICK ON "CONFIGURE" OPTION DEN CLICK ON "EXPERT FEATURES" AT DIS MENU CLICK ON "ENABLE GENERATION ON SHORT LEAD OUT" DATS IT MAN BUT FOR DIS FACILITY
YOU MUST HAVE LATEST NERO SOFTWARE DAT IS "NERO 6"!!
Caps lock still stuck I see Crying or Very sad

That will not get him an extra 80 Mb from a 700Mb disk. The only answer is an 800 Mb disk. The assumption is that's what the ISO got created from.
Diebels
Blademasters wrote:
I tried burning the image on a dvd but Nero refused to burn it asking for a different media.

Use the Software BlindWrite 5 from www.vso-software.com
you can burn/read/copy cd and dvd to hdd and vis a vis, and of course any image to cd or dvd
Urahara
If you know there is stuff that you can take out on that ISO, then:

Use MagicISO or some similiar software to edit the ISO, take the extra stuff out, it might just fit. I've done this a few times.
Clash
Well said that poster Cool

Or you could use ISO buster, it's free, it's easy and it's very good. Laughing
sush
Overburn is all you've got. What kind of a CD iso is 780mb? Are you sure it isn't a DVD ISO?

BINs and MDFs are usually 800mb but hold only 700mb data. Keep clear of em (unless you want to clone your copy-protected discs Smile)

The 800mb media is pretty good.
greendayonline.co.nr
the simplest thing would be to split the file into two
or burn onto a dvd
abhinav_shah
overburn it. But that is very risky as it can damage your CD...

Abhinav
faker
i once tried over burn my cd and turns out that it only lasted for around 4-5 days my advice is get the 90min cd or just burn it to a dvd, its not worth a try
internetjobs
hai,

you can wirte more than 800 mb in a 700 mb CD. it is true, it is only possibe if you wirte the cd in video format "VCD", i think some compression from mpg file DAT file happening.
mOrpheuS
internetjobs wrote:
you can wirte more than 800 mb in a 700 mb CD. it is true, it is only possibe if you wirte the cd in video format "VCD", i think some compression from mpg file DAT file happening.

That is not exactly true.

A DAT file on a VCD contains video + audio + error correction bits.

The reason why you see a VCD holding more data than the limit of 700MB is that a sector on a CD-ROM can hold 2352 bytes of error correcting audio data, whereas the same sector can hold only 2048 bytes of non-audio data.
The additional data written is used for error correction.

Thus you can write a maximum of (2352/2048)*700 = ~803 MB of error correcting audio (or audio-video multiplex) data.

A 803 MB DAT file actually contains only 700 MB of usable mpg data, conversly a 700 MB mpg will occupy 803 MB on a VCD. Wink
kadessa
There are CD ISO of 800 mb, at least here in Spain they exist. But not all the writers support them.
corey
OMG! NO!NO!NO!
ISO and NRG and BIN/CUE images can be much larger than 700mb (to the tune of almost 830mb) and be burned on one disk without overburn.

Use Nero Burning Rom and select in the "file" menu (after you cancel the wizard) "burn image" and you'll be fine.
Bones
830MB on a 700MB disk? Unless it's audio or video, then I'd like to see that. Can't imagine it being a very reliable burn though..I've seen over burned disks fail within weeks of the write.
Billwaa
For me, I would just split the file up with a file spliter and burn them to 2 CD and merge them afterward or just burn to a DVD.
Chris24
Simplest and safest way would be to convert the file to dvd format. Then burn it to a dvd. Do not overburn. There are many programs out there that can do the conversion. Just google avi or mpeg to dvd. You might have to use Alcohol 120%, but no biggie. I have done it many times, trust me it works
Sebaci
The simplest way is just to burn it on a 800 MB CD
Bones
People actually still buy cds? I havent bought a single cdr in over a year..waste of money really when you can burn anything (except audio to be played in a cd player) to dvd that you can burn to cd. Blank dvds are the same price as blank cd's in my area but 6 times the capacity.

I've burned lots of cd iso's to dvd with no conversion necessary (use Magic ISO...great program). Although I usually burn multiple iso's to a single dvd and use Daemon tools to mount them.
What type of ISO are you trying to burn? video, audio, game?

The easiest way to do it really depends on what you have available to you..but in your post you mentioned trying to burn the image to dvd...so I am assuming that you have dvd's but not 800M cd's...grab a copy of Magic ISO and don't waste your time with cds that have been obsolete for some time now.
corey
As I said earlier, any IMAGE can fit on a normal CD, if its less than 830MB. A cd holds information in minutes, not megabytes. 700 MB of data is burned with a different cluster size (larger), which does not efficiently use the disk space. Images, like NRG, BIN/CUE, ISO, use a smaller cluster size, and then can fit more data is the same space.

THERE IS NO NEED TO SPLIT THIS FILE. It will easily fit.
Bones
Depends on what type of image it is. Video and music are stored in minutes, a data image is not.
bcnhs81
ummm.. just a question about file splitters.. can u give a good one.. im looking for it so that i can burn video into my discs.. and i hope its freeware..
Guyon
I seem to remember reading that some burning software, can put a little extra on a CD.

Can you ZIP the image and just burn it as data?
Also you can zip it and split it up into 2 CD's.

If it is data then a DVD is the perfect solution.

Why does it have to be burned as an image?
Bones
bcnhs81 wrote:
ummm.. just a question about file splitters.. can u give a good one.. im looking for it so that i can burn video into my discs.. and i hope its freeware..

If you want to split video, there are a few apps that will do it. I use Virtual Dub. Look here for more info on anything video: http://www.videohelp.com/

If you want to split data, just use a compression tool like winrar and set the volume size to whatever you want.
internetjobs
Very Happy

hai friends

it is possible, When you write Video CD (VCD) you can drag 800MB mpg file to compilation, During the MPG to DAT conversion the file is compressed. it is possible in all type of video CD Writing software,

I am using Nero Software
maths
Blademasters wrote:

use overburn option in nero 6...or get a 800mb cdr
corey
I give up! I hope that the person who started this thread actually read it all. As a person who has burned hundreds (I'm not kidding - might be over 1000 now) of Linux ISO files, video BIN/CUE files, and other image files that are more than 700MB, I can see that some people don't seem to read the thread before inputting. This is a shame.
FritzvK
I am not sure if this topic has been answered elsewhre - however there is an easy solution for any images bigger than 840 MB to burn by using
image burn which is freeware and just great. it burns cd images to dvd as well.

hope that helped

fritz
Asap170
Hey if you haven't gotten a fix I got one!

WINDOWS ONLY OPERATING SYSTEM IT WORKS ON.

1. Find the file

2. Right click the file

3. Click Advance

4. The check "Compress contents to save Disk Space"

5. Add it to your disk

I did this and it original file size is 8.00MB on disk after compressing it became 5.83MB.

Hope this helps!
sanalskumar
If you know some junk data is also there in the .iso image, use any iso editor and remove the unwanted data and you rebuild the iso image and burn it. I had a video cd. It was not reading well. I used a iso image utility (isobuster) to extract the image. The actual video cd was 688 MB. But after extracting the image, it was more than 715 MB. Then i copied the data as video file to HDD and then used VCD cutter to cut the unwanted portions then burn it to a new disk. It was a bit lengthy process, but i actually did what i wanted.
Wish you good luck...
Radar
Yeah, I would have just said zip, and see if that makes a significant difference. Otherwise, I think I would have tried to find an alternative to a CD Smile I'm impressed by the various suggestions made here.
Jaan
try KGB archiver if you need extreme compression...

but if it's only a few megabytes over then try using nero's overburn feature. imgburn might have it too (freeware alternative).

cheers
sanalskumar
Buddy, Please read the entire thread before giving any solutions. About Nero Over Burn feature and its limitation has already been discussed in here...
Chinmoy
how can you put an elephant in a wine bottle?
sanalskumar
There you are... Ha ha ha.
Nolt
Try to use overburning option but be careful with it xD

[quote=Chinmoy]how can you put an elephant in a wine bottle[/quote]

7zip him with ultra compresion

Very Happy