FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Linux?

TGWAdmin
I want to get Linux on my old computer but I don't know which would be best. The specs are: 266mhz processor (Intel), 46MB RAM, 12GB hard drive. Yeah i know it's old but I'm sure Linux will work on it, but I just don't know which core to get. If you have any ideas let me know and thanks in advance.[/b]
mj_loc_nl
TGWAdmin wrote:
I want to get Linux on my old computer but I don't know which would be best. The specs are: 266mhz processor (Intel), 46MB RAM, 12GB hard drive. Yeah i know it's old but I'm sure Linux will work on it, but I just don't know which core to get. If you have any ideas let me know and thanks in advance.[/b]

TGWAdmin,
This is a little depending on what you like to do with your Linux installation. Do you want it to use as a desktop system or as a server? What kind of server? What kind of desktop. In most cases all Linux distributions can do the same. You can install all the same futures on all the different Linux distributions. It is more like a personal flavor that you are getting along the way.

If you are new to Linux and like to try some things I would suggest using RedHat. I do not know if your computer can cope with the latest version but I am sure you will be able to download a version that can run on your system. But believe me if you get a better system you will be even more enjoy Linux.

If you like to do real fun stuff think about downloading Solaris from SUN to play around with. I tend to like Solaris above Linux… but again, that is a personal flavor.
devroom
look also at www.distrowatch.com
And if know a litte bit from linux or wants to learn the codes
AND have lots of time
use gentoo. You can modify nearly everything
TGWAdmin
I forgot to mention that I have no operating system on the computer. I used to have Windows 98, but something was messed up so I reformatted the hard drive and I couldn't get it reinstalled. Does it make any difference if I want to get Solaris? Or do I have to have some sort of an operating system on it?
gh0stface
You might want to take a look at this thread.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-25808.html

Very simliar to this thread you started.
flashmoto
take a look at http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

it includes:

Fedora Core
Mandriva
SuSE
Debian
MEPIS
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Linspire
Xandros
PCLinuxOS
Yellowdog Linux
Gentoo
Slackware
Knoppix
OpenSuSE
ArchLinux
Foresight Linux

i personally use suse. The best thing about suse for me is the yast. I'm not an advace linux use so i just get a rpm and install it with yast. Very Happy
mj_loc_nl
TGWAdmin wrote:
I forgot to mention that I have no operating system on the computer. I used to have Windows 98, but something was messed up so I reformatted the hard drive and I couldn't get it reinstalled. Does it make any difference if I want to get Solaris? Or do I have to have some sort of an operating system on it?

You do not need a operating system when you install Solaris as Solaris is a operating system. You can download the open solaris version from http://www.opensolaris.org/os/ or you can download the non open solaris version from www.sun.com
FarZin
Suse Linux 9 is da best Laughing
TRY IT!!!!! Twisted Evil
edgeofend
If you manage to get more memory, try RedHat 9. I've got 266Mhz computer and 190Mb of memory and it works just fine. But i've heard that Suse might be even better
charredii
definitely check out Distrowatch.com

There are tons of choices so just look around and you'll eventually be drawn to something. YOu may also be interesed in BSD OS's. Distrowatch keeps an eye on both PC-BSD and Free-BSD

I hear lots of great stuff about FreeBSD
root
gentoo
SlaBo
Well. As your computer is quite slow I would recommend Slackware. But yes - it will be a little longer way than a few clicks.

Why do I recommend it?
It has the vanilla kernel, which hasn't got all the funny patches like for instance bootsplash (pretty colorful image upon booting up and background support on console).
The Gentoo fans will tell you that Gentoo is the best choice, but if you choose it then you will have to compile many things and I don't belive that you would like to do that on that computer. Of course it gives you the advantage of optimization, but I don't think anyone could feel the difference. When you download slackware CDs you will get everything you need to run your system precompiled.
Slackware is not so hard to install and the procedure takes about 20-30 minutes. You mind find it a little harder to configure it, however you could find the slackbook really helpful.
As I think you want to use it as a desktop system you will also have to choose an window manager. The best compromise between speed and neat interface is XFCE and it's also well documented.
There are some rumors that Slack is meant only for guys who thinks in binary but I'm sure that it's good for everyone who wants to learn and discover.

So there are of course easier distros, but you must understand that easy means "using everywhere the default settings" which are default setting for today's computers. If the system you want should be as easy as it can then it could be Mandriva, but the effect will be similar to installing windows xp on your old machine.
Dark-Tech
SUSE LINUX - SUSE 9.1 Personal

- is this a good version i mean i've never used linux and windows is pissing me off

but i dont want to have to have 1,000 files to have to deal with so not only am i saking if it is good but is the installation easy?

i also want to go for dual system so that i can retain my windows on my main drive only leaving me with 1.46gb hard disck space to install it on will it work?
webbone
you can use freebsd,It's require is very low!
dsauxier
I have a Pentium 133mhz that I have used to run both
Feather Linux and DSL
http://featherlinux.berlios.de/
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

They are very fast, and very light - you'll be happy.
With that low memory, stay away from the mainstream distributions.
babumuchhala
Well just to make it clear there is only 1 linux, but many many Linux "DISTROs"

And how the hell do u have 46 MB RAM, it has to be 64 MB RAM i suppose & would suggest UBUNTU as the distro u should use bcos i also have 64 MB RAM and am using Ubuntu myself too.

Get your UBUNTU CD delivered to your doorstep for free @ http://shipit.ubuntu.com
(430053
i love red hat fedoracore! comes with all the prgrams and free so you dont have to mess with finsing otehr programs. Its a very cool prgamming tool also. About 10-15 programs that you can progam with. in about 5 langueages. I love it!
DJGuardy
I love PCLinuxOS Live CD, kicks ass, comes with quite a few pre-installed applications, and also comes with a Live-CD installer that creates safe partitions for you and installs the OS. It rocks Smile
{name here}
I don't reccomend getting linux. I say you should get YellowTAB Zeta or BeOS R5 + Haiku(haiku has no official installer off a live CD, so you must install via a BeOS R5 program, I believe). But, if you really want to get linux, get Red Hat or Fedora...
ezekiel_rage
TGWAdmin wrote:

I have tested Vector linux on a Pentium 133MHz, 32MB RAM, 2 GB HDD.

Very fast, considering the hardware. I have used Vector Linux 3.2 for that machine.

if you could at least get your RAM to 64MB VectorLinux 5.x will run just fine on your system.

If you are feeling adventurous, you could get just about any distro you want, yes even the "modern" one's, and replace linux kernel.

What i mean is. You get a new realse of a "heavy" distro like Mandriva 2006, install it in text mode (because installing in GUI mode will take you forever) skip the "heavy" desktops (KDE & GNOME). Just install one of those "light" desktops like IceWM.

Then recompile your kernel.

You need to recompile your kernel because Linux 2.6.x will sure choke on your system.

What i suggest is you replace your kernel with 2.4.2. or maybe lower, to get much performace from your machine, and get the newer packages supplied with modern distros.

that way you get the latest and still be able to run at reasonable speed.
severedshadow
Hey, This as a little side note. I too have a nice slow copmuter but still get away running the new kernals and everything with a nice distro called yoper. you can get it at yoper.com Where they state it to be the fastest version of linux yet. I love it plus it has all the features any other linux has. Tho kde on it and you have a beautfil child you have just gave birth to. Have fun

-Severed-
faker
i'm using fedora core 5 and it all works fine for me but it is a little too big consisting 5 installation disks @@ try to go for smaller size distro if possible
dynamics
I have an old computer too: Pentium II 300Mhz, 96MB RAM. I tried VectorLinux, but I have some graphics problem with it:

I wanted to try other distros, but most of them do not list their system requirements.

In the end, I reinstalled my Windows 98 Smile
marcmgeronimo
try Ubuntu minimal installation, it works best for beginners... just one cd unlike other releases that has 3 or 4 cds
cheerszalla
TGWAdmin wrote:

Perhaps Gentoo (if you are able of support a thousand hours compiling) was the os that runs under the specs shorter.
bsrkaditya
Quote:
I want to get Linux on my old computer but I don't know which would be best. The specs are: 266mhz processor (Intel), 46MB RAM, 12GB hard drive. Yeah i know it's old but I'm sure Linux will work on it, but I just don't know which core to get. If you have any ideas let me know and thanks in advance.

I will recommend Ubuntu Linux for education and home use. Very Happy
Ubuntu is an operating system consisting entirely of free and open source software. With Ubuntu you can surf the web, read email, create documents, spreadsheets and more! Ubuntu gives you power and flexiblity for education and home use. Cool

Ubuntu is easy to install, free from viruses, and perfect for laptops, desktops, and servers. Ubuntu can be installed in a dozen languages.
You can get the install CD for free by requesting them at shipit.ubuntu.com Shocked or else can download an iso. image from Ubuntu or its mirror sites. A new version is released every 6 months. The latest ship it version is 5.10. The 6 version will be released in mid-may.Laughing

Ubuntu is an african word that means humanity to others. This distro brings out the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.
fiendskull9
for those specs -

Slackware 9.1 or lower (10.x is a bit of a hog)

or Feather linux

for that computer, DO NOT USE KDE! i would reccomend fluxbox or a ripped up gnome

-clay
phx777
would use RH9 on that distro, otherwise i would recommend opensuse 10.1
Lychee
I really prefer Gentoo Linux with a Gnome Desktop Manager… That's because you can configure everything. From the Kernel to the Design…

But: you really have to know exectly what to do, if not it won't boot Very Happy
lSaKenl
yah, i'd suggest too the slackware, a 9.x version too, and he's right kde takes so much memory, as gnome does so, so i'd suggest fulxbox, it looks good and it is fast.

Also, i think i might to say that slackware was made for speed, it is a good distro, the only bad thing is that dont have a installer manager such a yast, you gotta learn couple things to feel good into that distro, but, you can look it by the good way, you're gonna learn, for example, with suse, you learn nothing, suse has assistents for everything, you just double click everything.

So this depends on you, if you want to learn things and a good system, or want everything automatic but your system would not be usable, also a good distro and fast is the red hat, i'd suggest 9.0, but sadly you cant download from a official site because the red hat project died and became fedora core project, but fedora is slow so.

Ohh here a note, you cant have 46 mb of ram, ram memory should be divisible to 8 ^^ maybe you have a video card with graphic acelerator which take some of your ram into the system settings.
fiendskull9
i beleive there is a way to configure pacman (arch manager) with it, as i beleive arch is slackware based.

-clay
Helios
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-23576.html

-close-