FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bad news about the Server 2

Bondings
I suppose you already noticed it, the second server is already down for a day now.

The server was already very unstable but became completely useless after the new hardware was added. The Operating System didn't want to start properly just like the network services and some kernel problems. The technicians were working on it till a few hours ago but couldn't get it functioning again.

A week ago somebody managed to exploit the tempory directory on the server. This shouldn't have done much harm to the server, but maybe they managed to remove a few important files or change a few essential parts of the OS making it so unstable. However, I'm not sure whether this caused the problem or not.

Anyway, the server needs an OS reload.
-This will take a lot of time, hopefully not longer than 1 day.
-Data recovery is not guaranteed. If we get all data back it will take some time to restore it and it isn't easy either to restore all the users, permissions, files, ftp accesses, virtual hosts, ...

I know that saying that I'm terribly sorry isn't enough in this case - but it is all I can do.

I'll try to keep you updated about what happens but I don't have much information about it myself as I don't have physical access to the server and I can't login to it if the OS isn't even functioning like it should.
SunburnedCactus
I think the important thing is that at least everyone will know what is going on now, and that there's not a lot anyone can do at this stage except to wait.
Hanpusu-kun
We can only hope that the data will be recovered.
And if not, can you connect to the same account or will you have too request for a new one?
Loathing in Fear
Well... it's good to hear what happens to the server... i first thought that it just was another downtime (this morning i could just enter my site Confused) So, we just have to hope that the server can be fixed, and that a data recovery is possible...

@ Bondings, i hope these problems don't keep you off your work (a few days ago i heard that you had exams or something like that) so, 1st. finish your exams, and then think about the server (i can wait Wink)
alja
What is done is done, there is no way back. Hopefully we can get the data back especially the databases..... if not, there is going to be plenty of work ahead for more than one even more for those who are not use to make a backup like me! Crying or Very sad
Loathing in Fear
i made a back up, of all my files... but that was quite long ago...so, the back-up isn't of all my files...
Now i lost: 3 websites, 4 databases, Precious Scripts, some pictures, and some other stuff...
So, i hope they can recover all the files Smile
Marston
Don't they keep backups of files hosted on their server? I always thought that was commonplace... Wink
wumingsden
Marston wrote:
Don't they keep backups of files hosted on their server? I always thought that was commonplace... Wink

There are but like Bondings said files might not be able to be recovered which also includes back-ups

[fingers xx crossed]
Bondings
Hanpusu-kun wrote:
We can only hope that the data will be recovered.
And if not, can you connect to the same account or will you have too request for a new one?

The details of all requests are stored in the database on this server. However, this is the data of the latest request, changed subdomains aren't recorded yet. So new requests shouldn't be needed, I hope. Only a lot of 'please change my subdomain' requests.

I hope most people do have a backup/copy of most important files or can easily regenerate them. This is always useful, not only for server crashes/data loss.

But normally the data should still be available or at least partly put back So this really would be a worst-case scenario.

Loathing in Fear, yes I have exams and other important stuff to do at the moment. That's why I'm skipping a lot of things lately on the forum and won't be able to post in most forums in the next few days.

Marston, we don't have a backup of the whole server, unfortunately. I don't really believe in keeping backups on the same server as most of the time both the backup and data are lost at the same time. Off-site backups are quite expensive and I can't afford them at the moment. If we ever get much bigger with more servers, then I might consider getting a server especially for the backups.

But again, I don't know how things will turn out but most likely most settings/files/databases will be restored like they were before the crash.
Yjaxygames
Quote:
A week ago somebody managed to exploit the tempory directory on the server.

Does that mean someone hacked into it? Why would someone do that?
SoftStag
@ Bondings

Firstly, thanks for the update, especially your honesty. Secondly, as Loathing in Fear said, concentrate on your exams as a priority. I don't think any of us who are affected are happy with the situation, but that is the price we pay for free hosting. Please keep us informed though of the progress.

With all the recent problems, I was going to backup my databases this morning, only to find the server down. Hopefully you will be able to get the data back, if not it's not the end of the world. Fortunately, most of my site is now functioning as I am hosting it on my PC at home until the server comes back online.

Keep up the good work, and fear not, we still have faith in Frihost. Still the best Free Web Hosting by far!
Arnie
Thanks for informing, I hope it will be fixed soon. I miss my mail Sad
Loathing in Fear
@ bondings
Concentrate on your Exams, in my opinion, exams are more important than the server, and about the files... I don't really mind about all the stuff, i just have to code some pages and upload some pages i saved on my computer... I am more worried about my databases... there was some "Important" data on my forums...

P.S. It's great that we won't have to request a new account! Wink
Bondings
Yjaxygames wrote:
Quote:
A week ago somebody managed to exploit the tempory directory on the server.

Just for fun in the case of a kid trying to show off what he learned on the internet. (example vulnerabilities are all over the internet) Or in other cases to use the server for ddos attacks, spamming, phishing and other abuse. Or a combination of the above.

By the way, every day there are several people trying to log in to the server (ssh) by using random passwords. They just try it out on a random ip till that server blocks them and then move to another one.

And free hosts are known to attract the most hackers.

The tmp directory wasn't properly secured (or not enough) and someone managed to install a script in it. When I discovered it, it wasn't used (didn't work I think) so normally it shouldn't have done any harm at all. At least that was what I thought.
However, the server already crashed a few times without a clear reason in the previous months, so the crash might have had another cause.
SoftStag
There are words for people who do things like that; but I don't think we are allowed to use them on these forums!
xoxmeholly
is this why my request for hosting has taken forever (I requested sometime yesterday) to get accepted? If so, when will you be able to accept more frihost webmasters?

I'm sorry, I've tried to be patient, but I'm so excited about frihost!
saiyeek
Please Please at least please recover the data. I am seriously wanting them. If data cann't be recovered Can we recover the *.tar.gz backup files????
SoftStag
xoxmeholly wrote:
is this why my request for hosting has taken forever (I requested sometime yesterday) to get accepted? If so, when will you be able to accept more frihost webmasters?

I'm sorry, I've tried to be patient, but I'm so excited about frihost!

Until the server is back up and running, I can't imagine Frihost will be able to take on any new users. There are a lot of existing users without a service at the momeny, and I imaging Bondings will be prioritising existing users first.
Loathing in Fear
Just like bondings said, he isnt sure if the data he has can be recovered, but i think that you can recover your own .tar.gz files Smile

@xoxmeholly, i think your hosting will be accepted, when the server is up again Smile so you have to wait for a little while, in the meantime you can try and get your point count up Wink its always handy if you have some spare points left
eugenioclrc
dear bondings, maybe you could help me.

please tell me that the second server after this is gonna be as stable as the first server. otherwise i wish you give me an account in the first server when some account in the first server is banned or deleted.

Thanks for all, i hope you could fix everything, and the two servers work great
SoftStag
eugenioclrc wrote:
dear bondings, maybe you could help me.

please tell me that the second server after this is gonna be as stable as the first server. otherwise i wish you give me an account in the first server when some account in the first server is banned or deleted.

Thanks for all, i hope you could fix everything, and the two servers work great

I'm sure Bondings wants the second server to be 100% reliable. He can't guarentee that, so please don't ask! Noone could forsee these problems; but they are being sorted so be happy with that, or get your wallet out and pay for hosting!
maclui
I hope data is ok Shocked
bluedragon
Kind of funny that this all happens a few days after I get my account. I trust that things will get better, though!
TheFaction
all i can say in a time like this is thank you Bondings and frihost staff for always keeping us informed of all goings on. I could never picture this being any better. it really speaks for this site and its hosting how dedicated everyone is. most places wouldnt update on the problem at hand even if they mentioned the problem at all....

keep up the great work
Bondings
saiyeek wrote:
Please Please at least please recover the data. I am seriously wanting them. If data cann't be recovered Can we recover the *.tar.gz backup files????

Most likely the data will still be there and not errased. However, if it wouldn't be there, then sure the backup files of DirectAdmin (if you still have them on your computer) will restore most important things, if not all.

The current hard drive shouldn't be touched at all and the data is still on it, but unfortunately the datacenter is famous about formatting other hard drives by mistake during a reload. But that won't happen on our server, I hope.
Atomo64
Why don't you try an advanced IP blocking system, that is updated every day from a long list of proxies, tor, and others... and there's even a TOR blacklist(to block some TOR's): http://proxy.org/tor_blacklist.txt
saiyeek
Bondings wrote:
saiyeek wrote:

Most likely the data will still be there and not errased. However, if it wouldn't be there, then sure the backup files of DirectAdmin (if you still have them on your computer) will restore most important things, if not all.

The current hard drive shouldn't be touched at all and the data is still on it, but unfortunately the datacenter is famous about formatting other hard drives by mistake during a reload. But that won't happen on our server, I hope.

Thank You!
but I don't have downloaded the backup file though. I hope you will restore directadmin backup file.
Bondings
Atomo64 wrote:
Why don't you try an advanced IP blocking system, that is updated every day from a long list of proxies, tor, and others... and there's even a TOR blacklist(to block some TOR's): http://proxy.org/tor_blacklist.txt

We do have a lot of protection programs and ip blocking systems on the server. They certainly don't stop all malicious users. And there were already problems since november (a server shouldn't crash without a clear reason and certainly not often), so it is not necessarily because of abuse.
paul_indo
Thanks for all the info Bondings.

Sorry to hear some a**h**e actually hacked into the server, it's a strange world we live in.

I was wondering what was going on and you've been really helpful explaining it all in this forum.

I have my site backed up on my PC so no big deal. Just maybe have to re-do the SQL stuff, but I don't have to much in there luckily.

Good luck with your exams and I hope all this works out OK for everyone.

Cheers.
PureSimpleNatural
Arrgh... Sad

Thanks for the update though.

Hopefully everything turns out well for the server.

And hopefully you can concentrate on exams, Bondings.
forgeteden
Not happy jan !

i was telling all my friends to look at my site, and they are all like 'it doesnt work'

Sad

why did this have to happen. grrrr.

i know its not your fault. but jeez.

Sad
XxGunner
Thanks for the update FRIHOST staff, thats what the customers love most. When theres a problem we need to be informed of, like other site host providers I've been to there server crashes and there just sitting there saying "oooo". So ya thanks again for the update.

We really appreciate it...
bjwok
i second the notion of thanking you guys (bondings) for keeping us all informed on what is going on. the worst thing about these scenarios usually is not being informed. so cheers!
xoxmeholly
I saw the notice that said, "new accounts not applicable until Mid February." I applied yesterday, before the notice was up. Will I get my account pretty soon, or will I have to wait until Mid February?
clip
That's a bad news. Can't be helped though.

I was actually thinking of backing up my files yesterday when I found that my site was inaccessible. lol I shouldn't have waited for so long... but oh well. Laughing

A good time to view YouFail.org Laughing
alkady
Well thats a relief, I thought my web account has been removed for some reason I could not explain. Well I wish you the best of luck on restoring the problem. It doesnt matter if you cant restore all my files since I have them in a disk. But I just hope that my account wont dissapear. Thats the only thing I fear.
KRONIC
well although it's bad news we are indeed grateful for the knowing about this. please keep us updated on the server!! Cool
driftingfe3s
Yeah, thanks for the heads up. Too bad about the problems. Hoepfully, it will get better after OS reload.
DarkGoku
Have you figured out the cause of it yet?
Hobbit
I just hope the data isn't lost, I didn't back up my forums Sad . Well still thanks for the hardware upgrade, I'm sure everything will be 100% stable in a few days.
riv_
Thanks for keeping us informed. It's nice to feel that you care about all us freeloaders Laughing
Personally, I really hope you feel free to focus on your exams. I don't imagine you'd be able to be much help to anyone if you ended up messing up your life over this, and then resenting us, and the whole frihost project because of it. Yeah it sucks, but keep it in perspective. We'll survive.
I hope it all works out, and soon.
But, again, thanks for all your hard work, and for keeping us in the loop.
Lilystock
Well... just hope that the data aren't lost.

Thanks anyway for keeping us inform. Help to let things go smoothly.

Bon courage !
Neo7
Oh no! I hope I don't have to start from scratch again!
jongoldsz
How do we find out which server we are on?
root
How old is bondings, just wondering...anyone know?
Blaster
Nope

But I do have to say

Server 2 being down = pissing JJ off!

I understand there is nothing you can really do but I am just pissed off and had to say it.

Server 2 is failing so bad and I really need entertanment.

And it is also hard to create a surprise for someone when the server is down.
Kyle Katarn
root wrote:

I have no idea, but I'd recommend not asking. Some people take offence at it. I know when I was a minor that I didn't want to give that out to hundreds of strangers. I do wonder if I'm one of the older Frihosters, lol. It seems that most of the folks around here are in their teens. I'll be 21 tomorrow Very Happy
nam_siddharth
Bondings wrote:
I'll try to keep you updated about what happens but I don't have much information about it myself as I don't have physical access to the server and I can't login to it if the OS isn't even functioning like it should.

Why you not buy your own server. Hardwares are not much expencive now. Make assembled your own server, make your own datacentre.
zoombinimatt
My website seems to be working fine though, and its on server 2... does that mean the problem is fixed or am i missing something?
zombi3
this seems like a really cool system. I am a little confused though on how everything works. My first post, trying to obtain a site. Smile
n0obie4life
root wrote:

Secret Laughing.

He won't tell you, I won't tell you, no one will tell you.

@ Bondings

Well..
nam_siddharth
n0obie4life wrote:
root wrote:

Secret Laughing.

He won't tell you, I won't tell you, no one will tell you.

@ Bondings

Well..

Idea He is in University. Thus He must be 21-26.
n0obie4life
Maybe. Anyway, quit guessing his age, this topic was made for discussing about this bad news.
elekis
it's 8:29 and it's always down. sniff.

ps: I suppose bonding is at www.ulb.ac.be unniversity.

a+++[/url]
Jazz
Well it doesnt really matter to me because my website doesnt really have that much on it but still it is a bit annoying because i was going to save what i did on my computer but the server was down Crying or Very sad but my friends might be annoyed with me when my website doesnt actually work.
hack_man_
I honestly don't think that Bonding's age or what exams he is taking has anything to do with the fact tat server 2 is down! Let's get back on point! Very Happy

The issue is that server 2 is down because some pain-in-the-neck hacker planted a scary script in the server's temporary directory and caused it to crash the server's OS. Bondings is probably trying every thig in his power to get it fixed BUT HE SHOULD PUT HIS EXAMS FIRST!!!

Bondings: Good Luck!
elekis
if he is a ulb, in worst case , he finish today (i finish myself since once week)
denggi
Well, this sucks. But goodluck for ur exams Bondings. I never guessed you'd be this young. Talk about a young entrepreneur....
horseatingweeds
Earlier today, or was it yesterday, I tried pulling up my site and it came up but without the CSS....

It freaked me out but I knew we were having trouble. I was nice seeing how smooth and usable my site was being properly programed though. Laughing

And hey Bondings, just to help you on your exams.... with all these wishes for "luck"...

Screw your exams up good!!! Catch a cold and sleep in, forget a pensile and have a big brain freeze and sit behing the guy that farts when he's nervous.

On the way into class cut off some idiot and give him the bird before you realize it's your profesor....

Hope that helps. Wink
n0obie4life
Let me state a few points clear.

1. Stop guessing Bondings's age, even if you got it correct, we will NOT tell you a single thing.

2. Stop guessing Bondings's university, we will not tell you anything either.

The next person who..does that..will..die.

Pfft, if you really want to know when he's exams are over, just check Bondings World Rolling Eyes
elekis
for bongins world , any adress???
LostOverThere
Yjaxygames wrote:

People do stupid things, some people enjoy other peoples misery.
shabda
Take your time but please dont loose any webiste data. Loosing data is blasphamy. Even for a free host. I can afford downtime, but if the database is lost I dont have any way to restore one of my blogs. I am already fretting. And please unban my IP [removed] . I ahve to use a proxy to access frihost forums right now.
n0obie4life
elekis wrote:
for bongins world , any adress???

http://bondings-world.frihost.net

@shabda,

I removed that IP address within your post for safety reasons, I already messaged Bondings to unban your IP if possible.
bcg
It's the 3rd february. Can we have a mail when the problem will be resolved to start all our work?
mj_loc_nl
wumingsden wrote:
Marston wrote:

There are but like Bondings said files might not be able to be recovered which also includes back-ups

[fingers xx crossed]

Wumingsden,
This is a little strange don’t you think. If a backup is made to tape/disk array the intention is to use it again after a disaster. I would think that if backup is implemented in a correct way this should be the case even if the “crash” is that fatal to the system.

Can anybody state what kind of backup is been made from the systems and why the files should not be recoverable anymore?
hack_man_
n0obie4life wrote:

1. Stop guessing Bondings's age, even if you got it correct, we will NOT tell you a single thing.

I agree, but does that apply to me too? Embarassed
alja
mj_loc_nl wrote:
Can anybody state what kind of backup is been made from the systems and why the files should not be recoverable anymore?

Nobody has said that the files won't be recoverd. The thing is that there is a high probability of so. I guess bondings doesn't want to create false expectatives but if everything goes straight we will get the data back. cross your fingers!
Bondings
hack_man_ wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

I agree, but does that apply to me too? Embarassed

I'm not a minor (pretty obvious if you know I'm in university) and that's all you need to know. I don't think it would be a good idea for a minor to start a free host, certainy not something as big as Frihost.

Alja, the data is still on the hard drive, there is just a chance of it being errased. It's also not easy to transfer all accounts as it not only includes the files, but also permissions, settings, virtual hosts and that kind of stuff. But normally it should all be back like it used to be in a few days.
hack_man_
What OS are you reloading anyway? Win Server? Linux? Which linux?
sugarbox
Cheer..... Surprised I hope it will be fine soon.
shabda
Linux obviously. Which free web host use win anyway?
Kashinilaya
I just want to congratulate you for the excellent service you provide. Your sincerity in dealing with the problem only adds positive points to your profile. I couldn't yet set up my page for a variety of reasons, but if I had lost any data because of the crash I would have not the right to complain. Everybody knows about how important is to keep one's own backup. I actually don't have a backup of my start (starter?) page, which is not really important. I'm just concerned about the first PM I got from a moderator (can't remmember his name) confirming my acceptance to Frihost and with important information on my account. Sometimes I forget how to log in Direct Admin and I have to open that PM to find the way. I'm sure you'll be able to resend me the information if the PM can't be recovered.
I hope you have an easy time restoring server 2, but if anybody gets stressed out for that, please read my post NO MORE BONDINGS, PLEASE.
Good luck!
hack_man_
shabda wrote:
Linux obviously. Which free web host use win anyway?

Yes, I know that... DUH! When I said 'Win' I meant to type 'which', it was probably my lack of sleep kicking in again. Neutral

But I mean... Which Linux? Debian? RedHat? Which?
SirDuncan
hi all,

what about the account requests not handled yet ? is this affected with the server crash ?

thanks for the info.
d722002
LostOverThere wrote:

People do stupid things, some people enjoy other peoples misery.

Right, But I think it was most likely some 12 year old kid who learned how to write a nasty script, and wanted to try it out. Also kind of coincidental, Today is supposed to be the day of the "Blackworm" virus (releases itself on the 3rd of each month).

But most likely, some little hax0r who wanted to be able to tell his friends "yeah, I brought down a big server."
bassgs_17
Ouch. Sorry to hear that server 2 is down. Even if data loss occurs, users can simply re-upload their data, right? Or will it eat all account info, as well?
-Aquastrike
rwojick
Thanks for the honest reply, I am very impressed with your way
saiyeek
Bondings wrote:

But normally it should all be back like it used to be in a few days.

So the server will be back within some days. How much more time. Its already 2 days and it is very long time. I am really tensed because visitors of my site is finding it fake or.....
maclui
Quote:
So the server will be back within some days. How much more time. Its already 2 days and it is very long time.....

Agree, It is frustraiting but at least we have some information about it.

I hope data is ok Shocked
admin
saiyeek wrote:
Bondings wrote:

But normally it should all be back like it used to be in a few days.

So the server will be back within some days. How much more time. Its already 2 days and it is very long time. I am really tensed because visitors of my site is finding it fake or.....

I didn't get any response back yet and the server is still not reachable/pingable.

I was hoping for less than 24 hours (the techs first tried to get the OS functioning again and that's not included) but I guess it will be a bit more. They normally do it within less than 48 hours (in the case of data recovery, formatting is only 24 hours). So the server (not the accounts) might be ready in a few hours or only tomorrow. The accounts will also take a few hours to days, depending on how hard it is to put them back.
alja
admin wrote:
I was hoping for less than 24 hours.

I guess is better to hope the techs work during weekends otherwise see you next week.
bcg
i want to say thanks to admin for his answer who make me a little happy for our hosting. I hope only that we don't lost anything on server and contents of our databases.
Arnie
nam_siddharth wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Why you not buy your own server. Hardwares are not much expencive now. Make assembled your own server, make your own datacentre.
It's not just the hardware, it's the connection that's expensive as well. And maintainance, installing and securing, etc.
EVILSKAAP
Well for the people that are complaining, frihost has until now been, and still is the best there is on the net! Lucky for me i have not had much time to do anything major with my hosting! So this could be a welcomed fresh start! I first noticed something was wrong when i tried accessing my mail, and kept getting "NETWORK ERROR"??? But im glad its not as bad as a fire or something! BE STRONG!
Cachacero
espero que lo arreglen pronto, necesiito mi pagina para el domingo,

I hope you fix it the problem very soon. I will need it on sunday
Josso
Well, hope everyone get's their data back. I personally back mine up but it would be a pain for everyone if anyones data got deleted.

Good luck with the server.
Gates
Is this why I havent been accepted for free hosting yet?
Marston
Gates wrote:
*New requests won't be accepted till mid february.*
phx777
emails that were sent to the accounts during the time couldnt be delivered and senders got errors right?
WebSiteGuru
Yes phx777.

Anyway, I hope the server will come up soon. I dont mind loosing the data. I can re-setup again. No Biggy. I just hope you guys wont have that much trouble getting it up and running again.

GOOD Luck! Very Happy
maclui
Any updates?? Anyways I will keep praying.
WebSiteGuru
maclui wrote:
Any updates?? Anyways I will keep praying.

It's looks like it's going to be at least another day. Maybe more, especially it is hitting the weekend. Hope for all the best. Very Happy
hrdfarkr
From the viewpoint of a person who hosts here, as well as using professional hosting for an e-commerce site for a living, it is nice to see our support here is better then my pro service.

Thank you for letting us know not only the problem but your intended solution...it puts my mind at ease and reduces the amount of tech calls on your end im sure.
Reaper
So i'm guessing that frihost its self is hosted on its own private server?? Also guys be patient, Invisionfree.com had somthing like this happen to them, there techs said 48 hours or less also but it took em about a week to fix it.... Remember these techs usualy have hundreds of other servers to maintain and some they catagorize as more important im sure.
skynet
Wow Man.. Thanks you that you noticed us.. I had no idea whatr's going on.. now I realize all the point.

man, thank you for all you doing for us, that you do all this and spent money for us, you trully good man.

I hope that all be fine, and all the servers will back.
alkutob
this is a bad thing to happen but all what we need that to restore all data without big loss ,,and this may warn us to back up our sites data ,,,

For me it will be a hard lesson to learn as I never made a backup ...

I know that more efforts are doing at this time to maintain and recover the harm that affect the server ... so as a family I say ..thank you 4 your honesty and clear updated news
Bondings
phx777 wrote:
emails that were sent to the accounts during the time couldnt be delivered and senders got errors right?

It depends when exactly the sending servers removes them. Most of them are removed after a few days. The server was up for half an hour yesterday if i'm not mistaken. So it shouldn't be too bad as long as it's back up soon.

Quote:
But I mean... Which Linux? Debian? RedHat? Which?

CentOS 3 (redhat distro) for both the servers. I ordered the same for the reload to make sure everything is compatible. It is supposed to be one of the most stable linux versions.

Quote:
So i'm guessing that frihost its self is hosted on its own private server?

Yes, we have 2 servers for Frihost. This one with cPanel and the second server with DirectAdmin which is currently down.

I still didn't get any updates, but the techs really should be working 24/7, even during the weekends/christmas. And currently it's still friday afternoon in Texas.
gameking
How could it possible that the server down is?
Lame Hackers????

Plz let everybody know when the server online!!!
byt
where as most are a little unhappy at what has happened, I am happy enough, I will explain.

I part own a fairly active forum for American car owners, last year it got hacked and the guy that looks after it was busy at work, he tried to fix it in his spare time but ended up having to clear the lot and reinstall everything and due to commitments he hadn't got a back up that was usable thus we lost all post etc and due to him being busy it took about a week before it was running again.
when this happened I decided to try to run a forum myself to see if I could have fixed it quicker as I have plenty of free time. I joined frihost, got my space and install a forum, let a few friends post and kept back-ups. now the server has totaled with possible less of data I will now get a chance to attempt to rebuild it and see if I can.

I'm sorry for those that have lost stuff but for myself the disaster is a bonus, just goes to show that it wasn't a total disaster. Cool
Bondings
I was able to connect to the server, so at least a part of the OS is installed and working. Unfortunately they changed the password, so I have no further information about it. They most likely also still have to install the control panel and thoroughly test it before I get access to it.

I suppose the server will be up within the next 12 hours. I won't be able to login before anyway. I will then have to transfer all the data to the new hard drive (if it's still there) and I have no idea how long that will take. I hope a few hours in order for all websites to be fully working in 24 hours.
Alein_Atryda_III
Well, thats certainly some good news:D

If there will be loss of data it's not that bad for me, I made backup like... 10 posts ago ;D But I didn't do full site backup so I will have to setup some things manually, well... It won't take more than a hour.

Anyway, it's not what I wanted to write about - I'm quite new on frihost and I moved beetwen free hosts few times, it's first one where I see that someone is doing something to keep service working, even though I got in at bad time I know I'll stay with you _really_ long.

Well, one post done, I'm back to studying for my exams;p
Loathing in Fear
Bondings is doing exams too Wink so, good luck to both of you...

Well... It's great to hear that bondings could connect the server! This means that the techs are doing a good job, and that some parts have already been installed Wink but the best thing is that, if the old hard-drive is still there, "allmost" all the data should be there Smile...

Anyways... Frihost is doing a great job! It's even better than tons of payd hosting-services i know! And the hosting support is great! So, i don't really mind that the server is down for a few days... Frihost will still be THE host for me Wink
wumingsden
byt wrote:
where as most are a little unhappy at what has happened, I am happy enough, I will explain.

I part own a fairly active forum for American car owners, last year it got hacked and the guy that looks after it was busy at work, he tried to fix it in his spare time but ended up having to clear the lot and reinstall everything and due to commitments he hadn't got a back up that was usable thus we lost all post etc and due to him being busy it took about a week before it was running again.
when this happened I decided to try to run a forum myself to see if I could have fixed it quicker as I have plenty of free time. I joined frihost, got my space and install a forum, let a few friends post and kept back-ups. now the server has totaled with possible less of data I will now get a chance to attempt to rebuild it and see if I can.

I'm sorry for those that have lost stuff but for myself the disaster is a bonus, just goes to show that it wasn't a total disaster. Cool

It actually isn't bad for me neither. I also have exams and with the server going down it has helped me concentrate and easily finish my coursework so in a way I'm kind of grateful that it has gone down. What I'm not grateful about is the fact that there is a possibilty that I've lost my files, the only thing i'm really fussed about are my databases so all of us are hoping that this is worst-case senario.
Daniel15
Quote:
It's even better than tons of payd hosting-services i know!

Heh, a comparison chart I was working on, but forgot to finish: http://users.tpg.com.au/dan15/hosts.html Very Happy
Dustin
Thats a shame, i hope noone loses their sites...or more importantly a college thesis. However i doubt anyone would put that much faith into a free service.

This does not effect me however, since my webpage uses frontpage and everything that I have made is backed up on my harddrive just waiting to be uploaded once again. While this downtime is lasting longer than I expected i cant complain beacuse this is a free host Razz
alkutob
it is the first step towards the good news ...
I hope everything will be ok and good luck 4 all of us

thank you
xoxmeholly
phx777 wrote:

I applied for an account a day before the whole crash thing. I think that I should get an account, but that doesn't mean that I will. I'd really like to get my account, since I applied for it before the crash.
Marston
xoxmeholly wrote:
phx777 wrote:

I applied for an account a day before the whole crash thing. I think that I should get an account, but that doesn't mean that I will. I'd really like to get my account, since I applied for it before the crash.[/i]
Too bad you won't know until the middle of February.
xoxmeholly
Marston wrote:
xoxmeholly wrote:
phx777 wrote:

I applied for an account a day before the whole crash thing. I think that I should get an account, but that doesn't mean that I will. I'd really like to get my account, since I applied for it before the crash.
Too bad you won't know until the middle of February.

I meant that I hoped that I would get an account, because I applied before the notice.
Talk2Tom11
I am glad that everyone is greatful and realize that this is a FREE service we are getting. I would hate to read posts that are angry at the owners. I have not been on this server for too long... maybe about 2 months. But i must say... you guys are amazing. Keep up the good work.
iridios
Heh, there may be a good side to this. While I was learning how to admin the phpBB I installed, I muffed up a couple of things. Not bad just not the way I would have liked it to come out.

Now, if it isn't restored I can start out from scratch again. Razz
trickstott
I am using my frih.net domain as my online portfolio right now. I need it to be online today, people are trying to look at it right now. is there any way that I could get some server one space and an auto redirect from my old domain?
Or would that be harder than just waiting for the server to be up again?

This is literally the worst time for my site to be down.

I have it saved on my pc, I would just need a ftp to upload to.

Thanks.
Trick
JustaMin
Thanks for the updates bondings, hopefully this will be the end of server 2 problems!
lukeropro
I've been searching for a free host for years and none seem to satisfy me. I've used geocities, freewebs, prohost and many many more until I bothered to look at freewebspace.net and I found Frihost. I never thought that I would find such a good free host. If I knew I wouldn't have wasted my time searching for free hosts. Anyway, I hope Bondings will excel in his exams and that server 2 will be up soon.

All the best!
Blaster
daniel15 wrote:
Quote:
It's even better than tons of payd hosting-services i know!

Heh, a comparison chart I was working on, but forgot to finish: http://users.tpg.com.au/dan15/hosts.html Very Happy

100% true. The only thing you are getting with them and not here right now is a server. But I think someone said this also happend to server 1 for a little bit. So lets hope to get the server up A.S.A.P.

Good luck bondings. lets hope that this is the only problem for server 2.
bangala
Sorry to hear this news!
I'm a new member here and I already enjoyed the friendly environment and great services. I haven't setup my site here yet but I found this incident a great lesson to make sure to backup my files in the future in a regular basis Smile
Good Luck all Smile
lukeropro
err....bangala, where are you from?
maclui
What if everything goes wrong in this server and never starts up again??' Will all the accounts be lost or will you find another server and transfer them, will you be able to keep the same number of accounts you had or the ones in server 1 only?? I am getting a little paranoic. I hope it is just a temporary hard time.
Daniel15
It should be only temporary... The FriHost servers aren't just in any data centre, they're in the Savvis datacentre (a well known, reliable data centre). Hopefully, they'll figure something out.
dac_nip
i just hope that no data will be loss. Where is the server base? Bondings said it is in Texas? is that right?
jovemac
Bondings!

Its quite unfortunate to read about the crash of server2. Anyways... we are still happy with your service. Please concentrate on your exams first. And then set the server right. I hope everyone can understand your position and maintain patience too.

Gud luck.
vignesh_natraj
hope it doesn't too long for you to revert back to normal.

all the best.looking forward.
dragonflame
good luck fixing this bondings...thanks for your hard work and concern, considering we're not paying for this service.

if I may ask, what does the hardware look like for server 2?

for people from server1, ready, set, back up! Smile
n0obie4life
dragonflame wrote:
if I may ask, what does the hardware look like for server 2?

The hardwares really look ugly. They are just squre boxes..etc.
PerkExpert
Hello Staff, i think it's really nice to get informed. Although we might not be able to recover the files, we are very grateful for this awesome hosting service. Keep up good work!
NuniPio
i never thought setting up a server would take that long Shocked im gonna have to set one up sooon, hope mines not gonna take long Rolling Eyes
WebSiteGuru
NuniPio wrote:
i never thought setting up a server would take that long Shocked im gonna have to set one up sooon, hope mines not gonna take long Rolling Eyes

Setting server up dont usually take that long. Although configurations is time consuming especially when you have a lot of configurations that need to be added.
WebSiteGuru
I hope it's coming along well Very Happy
phx777
xoxmeholly wrote:
phx777 wrote:

im talking about emails that i should recieve on my email accounts on the 2 domains that i run on the frihosts mail server me@mydomain.com, not about mails sent to frihost admins Razz
JustaMin
phx777 wrote:
xoxmeholly wrote:
phx777 wrote:

im talking about emails that i should recieve on my email accounts on the 2 domains that i run on the frihosts mail server me@mydomain.com, not about mails sent to frihost admins Razz

Alot of that will depend on the configuration of the mail servers that the mail was sent through, ie how long will they keep retrying to send mail before they return an error. Given the amount of time the server's been down for I wouldn't hold your breath about getting any mail sent during this period.
photon
hey bondings, nice of you to keep us updated Smile its not often that free hosts keep the users informed about the happenings. and concentrate on your exams well. hopefully things will be fixed soon and you will not have to waste much time on getting the server ready
Commando_Sondre
Well, I hope that Bondings can make server 2 work as fast has he can.
And I hope that ther'll be no lose of data!
eugenioclrc
when you estimate the server 2 is gonna be working ????

Eugenio
nam_siddharth
Hey you guys! Please stop writting in this post.
When one see new post in Announcement forum, he thinks, there is new information for server 2, but finds nothing but only spams.

Please any body lock this post for all other than moderators and admins.
alja
nam_siddharth wrote:
Hey you guys! Please stop writting in this post.
When one see new post in Announcement forum, he thinks, there is new information for server 2, but finds nothing but only spams.

Please any body lock this post for all other than moderators and admins.

!!Yes, sir!! Rolling Eyes
eliasr
1 there will maybe be a new tread for that(it just wise to do)
2 check after your ftp works (if it does, then will there maybe also be news about it)

3 now im gonna do like all the others

i just hope they fix the server, i dont got any backups except my sites, as i save on the disk and then upload (so why should i make backups)

anyway,i and the rest of the clan will suvive, i got a exsame to think on and a verry bussy week. so the updates a allreddy delayed
Bondings
I just got the following message from the support. The hard disk isn't able to be accessed and hence the data cannot be retrieved.
Quote:
We had a thorough investigation on your issue. It appears that the second hard-drive has failed catastrophically. We have tested the drive in another machine to eliminate the possibility of the fault being in a drive controller/HBA and with a brand-new cable, to eliminate the possibility of the cable being damaged (an unluckily placed intermittent open can cause a drive to disappear). At this time, it does not appear that data recovery is possible from this drive, and will have to be done from any backups you may have taken.

Yet again, my apologies for everything that happened. I hope most of you made backups of all important files.

We will now start recreating all accounts starting with people with the most posts. I hope to get all accounts recreated by tomorrow or a bit later. The server has completely new hardware including a new hard disk. Everything should be working fine, just without all files/databases.

I really don't know what to say. It's a sad day for frihost/all of us.
clip
one word:

*GASP*

but oh well, thanks for the update Bondings! We really appreciate your update and continuous patience with all us FriHosters. And that goes to all the Mods and Admins too. Thanks all! ^^

Have to start once again! Very Happy
Loathing in Fear
It's even worse if you don't get back to study for your exams! So! Get back to work, and let the other staff do the accounts Wink

Well... It's great to hear that the server is almost up again Very Happy and, don't feel sorry, it's not your fault Smile
Bondings
Loathing in Fear wrote:
It's even worse if you don't get back to study for your exams! So! Get back to work, and let the other staff do the accounts Wink

Well... It's great to hear that the server is almost up again Very Happy and, don't feel sorry, it's not your fault Smile

My exams are fortunately finished today and the server is already up and running. I also just created your account.

I really don't know what to say about the data loss. I'll try to make a backup system of at least once a week for the future, but those things really aren't cheap and my budget isn't big.
Marston
Ah, well. Starting from scratch can be good sometimes...

(I'm crying on the inside.)
TheFaction
although i am relatively new here and with the whole loading of data on to the server and what not im sad to here about what happend with the server. good news is that soon everyone will b able to get to work on their pages and getting things back to normal.

and thank you Bondings for keeping all of us informed especially during the time of your exams
wumingsden
Thanks for the Update bondings although I hoped that it wouldn't come to this, never mind, i guess i could do with a fresh start
Zach Ownz
how long do you think it will be before you get to the pending accounts? Question
Tony The Tiger
How will I know when my account is up and I can dump my backup to the server?
Alein_Atryda_III
@Tony The Tiger: There will be update on forum, don't you think? Very Happy Just check here on current server state:D
Marston
Zach Ownz wrote:
how long do you think it will be before you get to the pending accounts? Question
MID-FEBRUARY! (for the third damn time...)
Kyle Katarn
Bondings wrote:
I just got the following message from the support. The hard disk isn't able to be accessed and hence the data cannot be retrieved.

*Echoing NO...NO...NOOOOOO*

Oh well, I guess I'll just start over. I think I have most of the pages, but the databases are gone.

I needed an excuse to transfer to my server anyway. Oh well, now to tell my users...
Jeslyn
oh well, starting over can be good. Good thing I dumped my databases recently.
traxion
thank got i made a backup on 26 of januari

now i hope the database is also in it

but anyway thank got, that saves me a lot of work

staff: keep going on, u are doing a great think. this is somethink u can do anythink about.
eznet
Good thing my website sucked and wasn't fully functional yet Very Happy I not too worried about starting over, but like I said before the site had not fully rolled out as of yet Smile I think I hate loosing my wordpress site the most but you live you learn, I will be backing up my "important" data more often now.

Bondings, glad to hear (though surely not as much as you are) that your exams are finished; hopefully you did well. Fortunately I have only trivial studies currently (ENG102 & C++).

Nice to hear the server is on its way, I am sure I am not the only user who has been going through DTs. Looking forward to a new era on FriHost. And look at it this way; this could be simply getting the bad stuff of 2006 out of the way early!

Ez
photographerguy
Hello,

Since I am new here and only had my hosting account 2 days before the crash, does it mean I have to reapply? I read something about the people with the most posts (which I don't think I am one of them)

I must say that after reading this whole thread, I am amazed at how informed we were all kept about this, and how many people complained with angry remarks. This is a free host, stop crying.

Thanks for everything.
Loathing in Fear
No, you don't have to re-request your hosting, bondings has started with re-adding the accounts at the top of the list (the poeple with the most posts) and he will end with the last person on the list (the last person that received hosting, before the server crashed)
horseatingweeds
Will there be a memorial service held?
Loathing in Fear
Oh yea, bondings, thanks for re-adding my account so fast, but i have one problem...
I can't acces DirectAdmin, if I type my LoginName and my PassWord, and i click on "Login", the page just refreshes, it doesn't say that my password is wrong or anything like that...
raver
damn damn damn damn damn damn damn....
I guess i must really be the stupidest guy here for not making a backup. Bye bye user accounts, the tutorials i`ve written which kept me awake till 6 in the morning, bye bye forum posts... oh well.. life sucks and we all are going to die anyway Smile

P.S. Loathing pretty please don`t reply to my post.. i`ve noticed you have a tendency to really spam this thread so please... hold off any temptation you may have Wink
pudovkin
IUUUPPIII!
Thanks Bondings and all the team who repaired the problem.
You guys ROCK!
PuNGS
Loathing in Fear wrote:
Oh yea, bondings, thanks for re-adding my account so fast, but i have one problem...
I can't acces DirectAdmin, if I type my LoginName and my PassWord, and i click on "Login", the page just refreshes, it doesn't say that my password is wrong or anything like that...

I actually received an email saying that my password was reset and it gave my new password.
photographerguy
Loathing in Fear wrote:
No, you don't have to re-request your hosting, bondings has started with re-adding the accounts at the top of the list (the poeple with the most posts) and he will end with the last person on the list (the last person that received hosting, before the server crashed)

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to have found a new home for my site.
JustaMin
Good job guys, no problem about the data loss, those of us that back up regularly arent affected, and anyone else... well, you should have backed up Laughing
Loathing in Fear
raver wrote:
really spam this thread

?! lol... why should i spam this thread? I also lost tons of important stuff, becouse i also forgot to make a back-up, thats why i really wan't to know what has happened to the server, and if i get my precious files back or not...
so... you are not the only one who is stupid Wink
*whoops... i replied...*

EDIT: ok... i posted a lot... but that doesn't mean that I'm a spammer...
amusic
Twisted Evil This is really the end of the world. I backup my files 2 months ago. There were a lot of new post, new content, new members during these 2 months.

What to do? I can't say anything, I can't expect too much on a free web host. So, admin, do we get anything in return due to the lost of data? Increase of webspace or increase of bandwidth?
odinstag
Well, My site wasn't complete and I have a full copy of all files on my computer.

My only problem is not being able to work on it or advertise it till this server problem is over.

Does FriHost have paid accounts?

I'm gonna have to look into that. If they do and it is more stable it would be worth it.
Jazz
Evil or Very Mad I am quite ok but not totally because i had made nearly every page when the server crashed and i had 2 tutorials on aswell and my news page, and all that work on frames, its just too much to handle i should of made a back i am so stupid now if all my data is lost i have to restart. oh and by the way i didnt think the server could crash so i didnt make a backup Embarassed but i always say oh well and get on with it because whats the point in fussing over what has happened when you can just start the job again then get it done and then do what you have learned from the last server crash. I learned to always make a backup just incase my data is lost which i hope has not been. Sad
Arnie
Roflcopter, this evening my main HD crashed with all my documents on it! I had some of the important backed up... guess where Laughing

There's nothing I can do anymore (lab recovery costs at least 400 euro) so oh well
SoftStag
Bondings wrote:
Quote:
We had a thorough investigation on your issue. It appears that the second hard-drive has failed catastrophically. We have tested the drive in another machine to eliminate the possibility of the fault being in a drive controller/HBA and with a brand-new cable, to eliminate the possibility of the cable being damaged (an unluckily placed intermittent open can cause a drive to disappear). At this time, it does not appear that data recovery is possible from this drive, and will have to be done from any backups you may have taken.

Yet again, my apologies for everything that happened. I hope most of you made backups of all important files.

We will now start recreating all accounts starting with people with the most posts. I hope to get all accounts recreated by tomorrow or a bit later. The server has completely new hardware including a new hard disk. Everything should be working fine, just without all files/databases.

I really don't know what to say. It's a sad day for frihost/all of us.

Cheers Bondings.

I have all but my databases. Just reinstalling phpBB from scratch!

[mental note]Make regular backups in future[/mental note]

Thanks for keeping us informed of the progress, really appreciate it!
shabda
[bitching]
Even if you are a free host, loosing data is just too damn unprofessional. I can live up with a downtime, but then to see 10s of hours of hardwork going down the drain. It sucks.
Yeah really you get what you pay for, but then frihost too has some commitment towards its clients. Yes I refer to me as client, coz each time I am logging to the forums I am paying to frihost. If my points became negative, I wont expect bondings to keep my account.

Do you have any idea how many pages you just lost? http://www.google.co.in/search?q=site%3Afrih.net&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
Results 1 - 10 of about 17,700 from frih.net 18000pages of pure content.

So Why am I not moving to another host yet?
Oops, I dont have any content to move. Anyway even if I move my webhosting, I cant leave this forum. Frihost rocks, at least there.
[/bitching]
[/url]
shabda
How to get your website back(Partially) if you have no backup.
This is based on the fact that google keeps a cache of all websites they crawl. And you can view that cache.
Suppose your site is xyz.frih.net
In google type site:xyz.frih.net
Google will show all the pages of your site. But if you want to visit them, obviously you cant. Google to rescue. Next to your website address, there is a link called cached. If you click this link you will be taken to a page which will contain text of your webpage. So if you have sometime to waste and data to recover, You can get all your pages back. (Sans the css and images.)
Marston
Also sans scripting, and databases.

odinstag wrote:
Well, My site wasn't complete and I have a full copy of all files on my computer.

My only problem is not being able to work on it or advertise it till this server problem is over.

Does FriHost have paid accounts?

I'm gonna have to look into that. If they do and it is more stable it would be worth it.
No, there are no paid accounts, yes, your account will be restored in (probably) within the next few days, and why would you advertise an unfinished site?
Arnie
There's also www.archive.org as alternative to Google cache.
shabda
Quote:
Also sans scripting, and databases.

Actually it depends. I use wordpress which keeps all content in databases. But since that content is a part of webpage, google indexes it and I can recover it. Not the database, but the content.
raver
shabda wrote:
How to get your website back(Partially) if you have no backup.
This is based on the fact that google keeps a cache of all websites they crawl. And you can view that cache.
Suppose your site is xyz.frih.net
In google type site:xyz.frih.net
Google will show all the pages of your site. But if you want to visit them, obviously you cant. Google to rescue. Next to your website address, there is a link called cached. If you click this link you will be taken to a page which will contain text of your webpage. So if you have sometime to waste and data to recover, You can get all your pages back. (Sans the css and images.)

No you can`t when the search engine didn`t cache all your pages because they are dynamic a.k.a NOT se-friendly Sad((((
WebSiteGuru
Jeslyn wrote:
oh well, starting over can be good. Good thing I dumped my databases recently.

I didn't even had a chance to even back my up. But then I dont really have anything that build up yet. Also, I've always say "If you dont back up your data, it's not that important.". Very Happy
Tony The Tiger
It seems like people are gradually being restored. When my account is restored will I be able to log in through WS_FTP Pro using my old user/password combo.
Arnie
No you get a new pass
Loathing in Fear
It's great to see everybody building up their websites Wink It's just like after a big war... but I still can't acces DirectAdmin, i got the username and password,
but DirectAdmin won't let me log in... All i get is a "refresh"...Sad
traxion
i had a backup in Cpanel and now i got directadmin

as i can see now i cant put the backup.. so it is usless:(

very good work to all the techs: great JOP(Y)

-----------------------
i upload the backup to the backup folder in my webspace.
and now i can use the backup:)Smile

all my settings are back:)Smile
Donutey
honesty is the best policy, it's awesome to see an admin keep people well informed when a problem like this happens. go bondings Cool

I keep an "off-site" backup of my website using gmail drive http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm
about every week, it's not the best solution because it gets broken from time to time when google updates gmail, but i need it because my computer is a "work in progress".

The main problem is the 40 character filename limit, but that's not a big deal.
WebSiteGuru
WOOPPIE! I got mind back. I'll be working on it starting tonight (hopefully). If not next week. Thanks guys! Very Happy Keep up the good work.
maclui
thanks, it is so exciting is like having a brand new car, I can even smell it. Thanks frihost team!!!!
alja
Loathing in Fear wrote:
It's great to see everybody building up their websites Wink It's just like after a big war... (

We should get a medal, this is what builds the history of frih.net, now we can say: after or before the crash and !I am a survivor!. !here we are, here we stay!.... at least you got your account created that is a hope, I don't know how long will take mine with my humble 50 posts...... patience is the key!!
trickstott
Uh... where do I get my new password? Bondings said that users would be added by number of posts, but some people with fewer posts than me seem to already be back up?

I'd love to start uploading my site.

Update:
Ok... so I have a lot fewer posts than I thought I did.

Update 2:
Back online. Good job Frihost!
WebSiteGuru
alja wrote:
Loathing in Fear wrote:
It's great to see everybody building up their websites Wink It's just like after a big war... (

We should get a medal, this is what builds the history of frih.net, now we can say: after or before the crash and !I am a survivor!. !here we are, here we stay!.... at least you got your account created that is a hope, I don't know how long will take mine with my humble 50 posts...... patience is the key!!

Laughing Now that's funny. And for real You are right. Very Happy
bjwok
in regards to everyones data being lost, it looks like those who don't have a local version of their site are the losers. and possibly rightly so too, i mean, who wouldn't backup their site if they thought it was something worthy enough to share on the net? - the message here from this server crash is clear: keep a backup!!!

personally, the crash has been a good chance to actually go through my site and clean up all the unused files, re-organise things and start a-fresh! giddy up!
Tony The Tiger
Any idea how many posts they are down to now for restoring access?
Noukiesims2
Great job, Bondings and everyone who has been working on this!
All I lost are a few .html files, so no big deal. (PHEWW!!)

I hope to get the site up again soon, but I'm patient Wink (I have no choice with as little posts as mine, lol)

Greetz from Nouk
pansophia
This actually turned out to be a boon for me! A client asked me to design a site for him, and then he turned around and stole my initial work to give the job to some guy who was charging 4x more, represented a CMS as a designed site, and stole his domain name.

Apparently the client-from-hell hadn't finished stealing my work, because I got a note from him this morning to *please* leave the test site up a little longer so he could finish handing over my work.

What A. Jerk.

Anyway, for me the inconvenience of the crash is more than balanced by the fact it interfered with a thieving ex-client. Smile
d722002
Thanks for getting things up, you guys are great!

One little thing:

Max. Upload 10MB

?????
eday2010
Shawg! Hopefully I remembered to download the most recent files on my site to my computer at home, because some of them were worked on elsewhere.
mathiaus
Everyone may want to check to see if google's got a cache of your site. Though not as good as a proper backup it may provide a good basis to rebuild your site on Question
Tony The Tiger
So now it seems I am up but that I don't have the correct password to connect with WS_FTP Pro. How do I get my new password?
Hobbit
Tony The Tiger wrote:
So now it seems I am up but that I don't have the correct password to connect with WS_FTP Pro. How do I get my new password?

It was pm'd to you.
sugarbox
Crying or Very sad
My new site Again Crying or Very sad
Bondings
There are still about 300 accounts in the list waiting to be recreated. It's going fast, but not fast enough. We are currently at 39-post users and lower.

Also, accounts with less than -15 points won't be recreated. If you have less than -15 points and still want your account back, then it would be a good idea to raise your points to at least -15.

There are also still a few things which were installed on the old server but not on the new. The cp.frih.net page isn't working yet, just like a few other issues. I will look into them in the following days. Please report all errors or needed upgrades/features which were already there before the crash.

If you changed your subdomain after requesting, then you are allowed to change it back under the domain settings.

Loathing in Fear, I still haven't figured out what causes your problem. I hope it will be solved once we install the cp.frih.net page.
d722002
I also noticed that our DirectAdmin was reverted to the older version. Any word on whether or not we'll be getting the newer DirectAdmin back?
Bondings
d722002 wrote:
I also noticed that our DirectAdmin was reverted to the older version. Any word on whether or not we'll be getting the newer DirectAdmin back?

It is actually the newest version instead of an older one.
GB
Great News!

I just got my account back! By the way, is there any chance of getting Cpanel on my account since the crash happened? I'm not familiar at all with how these things work, if it isn't possible, that's fine. If it is, though, I'd love it if we could.

Thank you so much for hosting!
riv_
Thanks for getting things up and running, and letting us know right away.
i'm sorry the data was lost, but, we'll live.
Anyways, thanks again.
You know, I was thinking of reorganizing my (totally pathetic) database anyways...
dac_nip
too bad, i haven't back-up my files. and most of them are pictures! OMG, this is a clear lesson that we should back-up our files once in every two weeks or a month maybe. anyway, thanks frihost..start all over again!
Rhysige
The hardest hit on my site is forums... ive restored from a 7th of december backup but im hoping one of the other admins has a more recent one.
The websites database wa in need of a little bit of work anyway still lost a bit I wanted though. However this can all be fixed in time so what can you do Razz

------------------

I survived the frihost crash of 2006
mathiaus
GB wrote:
By the way, is there any chance of getting Cpanel on my account since the crash happened?

Sorry you can't change servers Sad
Tony The Tiger
Bondings,

Thanks for the hard work. It took less than an hour to upload my 55MB of website stuff. It is all working it seems.

Hey all. Come visit the Tiger's Home: www.tonythetiger.frih.net
Zach Ownz
Marston wrote:
Zach Ownz wrote:
MID-FEBRUARY! (for the third damn time...)

ok, sorry dude, but im not reading 500 posts to root out the thing i want to know...
n0obie4life
@shabda

Do you think we wanted to lose the data too?

We don't. Bondings had actually spent most of his time trying to get the hard disk working again.
dac_nip
that's life. start all over again! a new beginning. but damn that cracker, he is not a hacker mind you. can't do anything in his life but to destroy other's possesions!
riv
Bondings wrote:

If you changed your subdomain after requesting, then you are allowed to change it back under the domain settings.

Where's the domain settings page and how do I change it? Do I go to the domain setup page and click on my domain or someting? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Hey! I'm a 'Junior Frihoster' now! Yay!
n0obie4life
Domain Administration --> Edit domain.

Please, do not abuse that function after Bondings stopped allowing self-edits, we know you can edit/add your own domain without telling us, but if we catch you doing that, your account will be suspended.
Atomo64
And when is my account going to be back? I want to try the new server Smile
n0obie4life
Atomo64 wrote:
And when is my account going to be back? I want to try the new server Smile

You will receive a PM with your username in it, then check your email for your password.
alja
I would like to know if we have already php support, I cannot execute any php file.
n0obie4life
We do, www.amusic.frih.net is working Smile (no it's not your domain, but it runs phpBB Rolling Eyes)
niranvv
Hai friends,
Finally I got my hosting place back!! Pray
No backup files were there! Sad
Anyway, I'm uploading the files!! Razz
thanks to bondings!!

Bye,
Niran
www.niran.frih.net
Boo hoo!
AG007
YEY. The server is back and the DirectAdmin looks different. Smile
Anyways, thanks Bondings for putting the server up.
I'll start uploading my website tomorrow.

PS: I love this hosting, even thought it has its downs. What more can I ask, "IT'S FREE". Very Happy
jovemac
Hats Off bondings!!! Very Happy

Feeling quite happy to see my domain back too fast.. Will upload the files again. I really appricate the pains taken by you to make it live soo fast irrespective of having your exams.

Lets hope for the best that this kinda issues should never happen in future. Best wishes for your exams Bondings.
driftingfe3s
Luckaly I made a backup of my database a day befor the server went down to upgrade wordpress to 2.0.1. Anywho, thanks for getting it back up!
dingdong666
Hey bondings, is there abny way for you to recover my files back??

I dont have the backup of anything with me. Sad
n0obie4life
@ the post above this post

Sorry, there's no way to recover your files from the corrupted harddisk.

@ others who think the DA skin is weird

I have requested to ask Bondings to change your skin to the "enchanced" skin, just hope he changes it Wink
dingdong666
This is seriously a very bad news dudes Sad
vignesh_natraj
Server is up but all data is lost
dingdong666
exactly... i thought they can somehow recover the files back, but they are not able to. I have no backup as well.

I dont know what I'm gonna do now Sad
vignesh_natraj
please remove this topic i think everybody's account were recreated.So please remove this topic so that newcomers don't get afraid about this
shabda
Quote:
@shabda

Do you think we wanted to lose the data too?

We don't. Bondings had actually spent most of his time trying to get the hard disk working again.

Obviously I know that, but then you cant stop me from bitching.[/quote]
dingdong666
WOW dude.. enough of b****ing around.
Atleast we have out accounts back. Be happy for that atleast.
MalvagioAddict
that's okay though, at least the servers up and thank heavens i have a back on my hard drive.

thanks for sorting it out though.
alja
n0obie4life wrote:
We do, www.amusic.frih.net is working Smile (no it's not your domain, but it runs phpBB Rolling Eyes)

I am getting 404 errors each time I address a php file and this is what I see when I went to your site.
anyone with the same problem or any hint that may help me?

thanks
n0obie4life
No. That site works, it's just a missing file error.

Make sure your domain is correct

http://alja.frih.net - that's your domain. And make sure you uploaded your script in the public_html folder.
alja
for some weird reason I uploaded a folder which disapeared that is why a got the 404 messages........ weird or maybe tireness anyway seems to work now. thanks!
phx777
Smile My account is back on server 2, yey =D, here we go again Smile... transfering domain... tnx again bondings and frihosters =D
Naif
Bondings, is there a way maybe the databases might be restored? I have backup files of all my sites but unfortunately no backup of the databases Sad
Caesar_
Thank you for everything you do for us... i apreciate your hosting a lot and hope it will continue to be same quality or better for a long long time... thanks a lot... you are a great team and this is a great community!
alkutob
We hope to begin again in a wisely way ...I lost all my files ...no backups were made .. so it is a big loss to me ..but with your help again I may compensate some or all .

Bondings

You are strong enough to apologize ,, and we respect you enough to accept .

Thank you
byt
Naif wrote:
Bondings, is there a way maybe the databases might be restored? I have backup files of all my sites but unfortunately no backup of the databases Sad

if I have read this thread correctly it has been stated that the old data cannot be restored, that the hard drive it was all on is finished, kaput, cream crackered, only useable as a door stop etc. Shocked Shocked

The team has been working away fixing the server and now setting up all the accounts and yet people still ask questions like the one I've quoted Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

no offense meant but can't you read? the data is gone, never to return, the hard drive is not asleep it is dead it has gone to the little hardrive heaven, its f***ing snuffed it Laughing

sorry if this upsets anyone or breaks the rules but I just felt it needed saying.

ps well done those involved in fixing everything, looking forward to getting my space sorted again
n0obie4life
Naif wrote:

No. There's no way of getting the databases back..
Sunny
Update : Recreation of Accounts is completed. Please check your pms /emails for your new password.
Omax
I just noticed that you updated DirectAdmin, very good Very Happy
bluedragon
New DirectAdmin?

Uploading files, but I have to redo everything else since I didn't backup my databases when I was finished creating.

Stupid, stupid, stupid me! Lesson learned.
photon
^^ me too.. didnt have a backup of some important notes of my project Sad
IceCameron
Shit!
all my reports and essays were on there for backup.. ******!
elekis
booo, i lost everything...

no grave . LET'S START AGAIN. and thnaks to bonding and other to made all they can

a++
burzum
i was socked to hear that all my files were gone but thinking it over again i don't mind cause frihost is the best freehosting site there is! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Lochium
Shit I lost my mySQL database, webpage and lost too backup of this. I'm really angry;/
KRONIC
hey whats up, my account has been recreated!! the server must be up again..thanks alot Cool
ck88
Laughing
My account is up and running again. I will just upload my local files and thats it.
Great work by the admins. I hope, the crash did not put any holes in your pockets.
Now I don't have any excuses to work on my thesis any more. Crying or Very sad
ck88
schumway
thanks for the quick rebuild... not a biggy...

appreciate your time and for recreating the server...

thanks for the notification as well... have my site downloaded so it did not take long to upload the content again.

thanks again for your service and your bandwidth!!!!

appreciate your time and efforts.

FYI - maybe as a default page put an under construction or something?

thanks
Saroumane
Finally, I get my account back. Thank you to the admin for their great work. I appreciate that you take the time to answer and inform us on the details.
Mrs_Robota
I lost all my files... and my forum info Crying or Very sad
Tony The Tiger
I got my web page up and running easily by uploading my backups from my hard drive. However, I had wanted to spend my pre-Super Bowl day attempting to add phpbb capabilities. It seems I am unable to access DirectAdmin. Here is the error I am getting:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at cp.frih.net.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
noexes89
It's werid, I'm pissed that I just lost two months of writing, but I can't hate you guys. Really.

I hope all of this will be stable now.
Loathing in Fear
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I got my web page up and running easily by uploading my backups from my hard drive. However, I had wanted to spend my pre-Super Bowl day attempting to add phpbb capabilities. It seems I am unable to access DirectAdmin. Here is the error I am getting:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at cp.frih.net.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

cp.frih.net doens't exist anymore, bondigs has to configurate it again...
You have to use www.frih.net:2222 to enter DirectAdmin... Or something like that...
cambridge
of course this topic is full of satisfied frihosters, who can earn some $frihs saying how beautiful world is after hd crash. why not?

But I've lost my site with many people's unique posts, and i'm a little angry. So I have some important, unpopular questions:

disk fail.
first (bad) news were: 'server 2 is unstable' - what happend later which caused hd fail? 'ustable' doesn't mean 'unaccesible', so people's data were there till server switch off.
there are some methods for data recovery from (even) damaged discs.
one day my laptop hd failed; i've lost all partitions and 6 months of work. I was not thinking about hd change for a second. I just took my laptop to a friend, who spend 4 hours on it and all my data reappear again untouched. it's maybe not easy, but in most cases IT'S POSSIBLE to recover files!

private data lost.
ok, lets imagine all data on hd are lost forever (hard to believe for me, but let's imagine..).
what happend to hd after removing from server? thrown to the trash or to the someone's drawer? data are still there, even if fragmented. and this can be confidential ones also.

user points.
bondings; don't you think it would be fair to add some extra points to user accounts affected by hd crash? it's not our fault you've never made backup, right?

hava a nice day
Loathing in Fear
Well... it's also not bondings his fault...! and did you know that HD back-up's can be very expensive when there is so much data on it...!
Everybody lost suff! It's not only you that lost stuff, for instance, i lost tons of Very Importand work, databases, school stuff, other files that were very important... it took me weeks to make all that stuff! But do you see me whining? I don't whine, becouse i know this is a free host, and things can go wrong...
So just stop whining, if you want weekly back-ups, then switch to a paid host! This is a free host you know! Confused

Have a nice day
Marston
cambridge wrote:
of course this topic is full of satisfied frihosters, who can earn some $frihs saying how beautiful world is after hd crash. why not?

But I've lost my site with many people's unique posts, and i'm a little angry. So I have some important, unpopular questions:

disk fail.
first (bad) news were: 'server 2 is unstable' - what happend later which caused hd fail? 'ustable' doesn't mean 'unaccesible', so people's data were there till server switch off.
one day my laptop hd failed; i've lost all partitions and 6 months of work. I was not thinking about hd change for a second. I just took my laptop to a friend, who spend 4 hours on it and all my data reappear again untouched. it's maybe not easy, but in most cases IT'S POSSIBLE to recover files!

private data lost.
ok, lets imagine all data on hd are lost forever (hard to believe for me, but let's imagine..).
what happend to hd after removing from server? thrown to the trash or to the someone's drawer? data are still there, even if fragmented. and this can be confidential ones also.

user points.
bondings; don't you think it would be fair to add some extra points to user accounts affected by hd crash? it's not our fault you've never made backup, right?

hava a nice day
Well, its your fault that you lost all your data, you should've backed up your files. Also, you should NEVER STORE PRIVATE DATA ON A FREE HOST. It's too bad if you don't know this stuff, but don't try and get something free out of the server crash. Everyone's account has been affected, but there's no reason for people to get extra points. Bondings isn't contractually required to back things up - it's a free service. Got problems with it? Find hosting elsewhere.
mldream
Is there a other solution to cp.frih.net ?

I need to access to the control panel but I'm in a university and so the firewall is very strict...

thanks for your answer...
Sunny
cambridge wrote:

disk fail.

private data lost.

user points.

hava a nice day

1) I believe Hard disk was badly crashed. Pc won't even detect it, unlike the problems like few bad sectors where you can try to recover data.Server is located at data center of SAVVIS(Highly Reputed) and we don't have physical access to the server.

2)Most Likely it will be thrown to trash.

3)I have nothing to say here. I'm copying this right from the TOS which you read and accepted when you applied for hosting.

Quote:
Frihost will not be liable for any of its services. We reserve ourselves the right to cancel our service at any time, and we will not be liable for any files that are lost and/or corrupted which may occur from a system crash, hard disk failure, account removal or any other possible reason. To the full extent permissible under the applicable law, Frihost shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages resulting from the use or inability to use Frihost services.
However, we are trying to be the most reliable and stable free host on the internet. A system crash or hard disk failure will be very unlikely. You should prevent any possible data loss by making a backup of all important data on our servers.

4) Just for your information. Frihost staff, specially Bondings has worked very hard to get this server back again and running as quickly as it did. Acct. Creators worked till 3am to get all the accounts done(in just few hours) . This is not the first hard disk on earth which has crashed, its unfortunate that it happened but we did all we could and as quickly we could.
Hanpusu-kun
My account has been recreated.
Though, all data is gone.
But wtf, im happy after all Laughing
I can always start over ;D

Thanks for the good work.
alja
The main teaching of all this big catastrophe......!!do backups!! and often.
cambridge
@Loathing in Fear:
I'm not whining - just asking. Not allowed?
Everybody lost someting - right, but is that means nobody can ask questions?

@Marston:
yes, it's my fault. so? I'm not talking with my lawyers, just asking some questions. Can I?

@Sunny:
Yes, I've accepted TOS. And - with emphasis - I'm not going to accuse somebody. My question was: "don't you think it would be fair". Can I ask kind questions, or maybe I'm whining again?
I know Bondings has worked hard, and I know what working till 3.am means. Yesterday I went asleep on 4.am. I had to. He had to. Day as usual. Relax, boys..
Loathing in Fear
Well.. when i read your post, it looked like you were totally angry about what the frihost staff, and the techs at the center did, and i didn't agree with that...
Sorry if i offended you, i was quite angry at the time i made that post Confused
But yeah... you're allowed to ask questions... Wink
byt
gotta agree, do back ups, did back ups of my forum, got my account back, installed the forum, upload my back up and no problemo I have everything I had, nothing lost and only about an hours worth of work to fix it which is great cos that was why I set it up in the first place, I now know I can fix a totaled forum as long as I have the back up.

do back ups people Wink
mstreet
Strange but True,
I may have found some good news for this. I am now able to access my site from home. Amazing I know but for some reason no matter what I did with my service provider from complaining to emptying all the caches I could possibly have emptied. I am now able to access my site from the comforts of my own home.
SoftStag
Sunny wrote:

I disagree. The hardware is not that old, surely. Server 2 has only been operational for a few months and virtually all hard drives are warrantied for at least 3 years. I would think the hard drive would go back to the manufacturer under warranty. Any data would be disposed of safely and securely by them.
Kyle Katarn
SoftStag wrote:
Sunny wrote:

I disagree. The hardware is not that old, surely. Server 2 has only been operational for a few months and virtually all hard drives are warrantied for at least 3 years. I would think the hard drive would go back to the manufacturer under warranty. Any data would be disposed of safely and securely by them.

Just because Frihost has only been renting it for several months does not mean that it's a new server.

And yes, I was extremely pissed about the server crash, but oh well, I had most of the files, and some fairly recent databases. Give Bondings some slack. I run a hosting service, and when something like that happens, you feel terrible yourself, and you wish it hadn't happened even more than your customers.
Marston
cambridge wrote:
@Marston:
yes, it's my fault. so? I'm not talking with my lawyers, just asking some questions. Can I?
Don't patronize me, there's no need for rhetorical questions like the one you posted.
Srs2388
ugh all the coding and modding and stuff gone...
but nothing against Frihost, there a non profit organization (as far as I know)
they dont make anything off the hosting (if they do it can't be much)
and they have everything up and running so thanks for the hosting guys hopefully I can get everything up and running again =)
no_face15
Wow, that was fast... like 1 day right? I didn't even notice it was gone until now. Luckily i had a back up of everything... what am i saying i always have a back up of everything. Anyway thanks for getting things back up and running so fast.
pjv
Thanks for the update Bondings! It doesn't matter much if it will take a while to fix, what's important is the database. I hope it can still be recovered. Smile
Kyle Katarn
pjv wrote:
Thanks for the update Bondings! It doesn't matter much if it will take a while to fix, what's important is the database. I hope it can still be recovered. Smile

I'm sorry man, but that is not possible. All data that was on that server is completely, entirely, gone. There will be no recovery. If you would like the whole story, you can read through all 9 pages of this.
dray101
Frihost rocks! Very Happy

I lost some of my settings, files etc when server 2 crashed but I don't care because it took me so long just to find a decent free host that I'm just glad that there is one out there Wink

I had most of my site backed up but not all of it. Embarassed So now every page, image etc that I add to my site I will also back up on my computer. Rolling Eyes

Anyway I just want to say a big thanks to all the admin for getting the accounts recreated so quick and for creating and maintaining Frihost in the first place! Smile

Keep up the good work guys, you rock! Laughing
k_s_baskar
Atlast my a/c has been activated. But unfortunatly i lost my mysql database. anyway thankyou admin for sending individual mails to each n every customers.
izcool
I really am grateful for what FriHost provides to all of us. I salute Bondings and all of the moderators and staff members that dedicate their time and effort to the members of FriHost to make it a great community to be in and to host their websites from.

Thankfully I am located on the first server (cPanel one) and my website is as safe as sound. I feel the pain for the people who are on the server that got hacked, as I've been in a similar situation once and had to revert my website (several years ago, different hosting account company) to a really old backup.

I'm going to start doing monthly backups from now on, as data like that is just too valuable to throw away.

Any idea if it's possible to detect who tapped into the server ? I know it's possible to view a log of connections to the server (through IP addresses) althought it may be difficult to detect the IP behind a proxy.

It's clearly stated in the TOS that we've all agreed to that FriHost is not responsible for data loss when servers crash.

Can anyone confirm if FriHost's datacenter provides nightly backups on tape or some other kind of media ? Normally that's how most companies operate with nightly backups.

No one should complain about losing their data since everyone should have heard of the word "backup" somewhere on their time online (or even using a computer) and took the time to work on one. Things do happen, and as unfortunate as it may sound, we eat a little dust here and there in life. As my father says, "when the going gets tough, you have to get tougher".

- Mike.
niranvv
Hai friends,
After recreation of accounts, my direct admin skin turns to the old one! Sad
But Now it looks sooooo great friends!!
Finally I got the new skin! Dancing
Thanks to frihosters!
and thanks for such a free hosting with great support!
Bye Bye!!

Love,
Niran
www.niran.frih.net
Boo hoo!
Zork538
Hi all,

It's great to read that server 2 is back online. FriHost is a great service.
I had just started working on a site, so no backups yet, that's to bad. Sad
Just hoping that we won't have such a bad day again, and that FriHost will grow as big as it should, so that Bondings can afford a good backup solution.

Tnx, FriHost
NuniPio
i thought the server was down again for a second...but then had a look at my router and realised the adsl light was off..thank god.. Laughing
alja
Epitaph of a crash.

Now that is over thanks God! and there are still user that haven't even realized it! I think that is the moment to thanks the frih community in general. This is the kind of events that test the strength of a community. I think we need to be tolerant, there are many people that put a lot of effort in their work and yes we forgot to make backups and that is why we even get more angry but that anger is not against the community and we just need to express it that's it. isn't that what forums are about? to express! is like screaming, some times you just need to scream aloud to feel better so please don't take the complaints so personal since anger just bring more anger. I am sure that more than the 90% of the users are glad and greatfull to bondings and his crew for the wonderful work they have made restoring our accounts, this hasn't been easy for them since as somebody stated before "we really feel bad when this kind of things happen and even worst when happen to our customers" so everybody has been hurt but somehow we are in the same ship. Let's pass the page and keep going with the work and if we read some "offensive or aggressive" post just understand that no everybody can take the things as easy as others.
Once again thanks to the community and sorry for your lost!
hangnhu
I can't believe after dissapppearing ofline for a short time and something this huge has happen. My website will take forever to bring back up and most stuff I have there are not even recoverable I don't think dame Sad

Is there any hope of this never to occure again? I mean, this doesn't seem like the first time, before I became part of here, I'm sure there is some distance memory that told me this has happen before rite?

is the serve been hack or something? why doe sit crash? nvm, i'm sure the answer is somewhere around this forum, which will takes me forever to read, so I won't bother looking for an answer and I'm sure none will bother to answer me. I don't mind really
WebSiteGuru
hangnhu wrote:
I can't believe after dissapppearing ofline for a short time and something this huge has happen. My website will take forever to bring back up and most stuff I have there are not even recoverable I don't think dame Sad

It does happends sometime. Harddrive failure can and will happends in the worse case senarios.

hangnhu wrote:

Is there any hope of this never to occure again? I mean, this doesn't seem like the first time, before I became part of here, I'm sure there is some distance memory that told me this has happen before rite?

I doubt that it might not happend again. These kind of thing do happends. We'll just have to make sure that the data is backup and saved.

hangnhu wrote:

is the serve been hack or something? why doe sit crash? nvm, i'm sure the answer is somewhere around this forum, which will takes me forever to read, so I won't bother looking for an answer and I'm sure none will bother to answer me. I don't mind really

I think I seen it in the other thread, but I am not sure exactly what happends. I know the were having problems with server 2. And finally the announcement from Bonding that the harddrive had crashed.

That's all I knew.
Gates
Marston wrote:
Gates wrote:
*New requests won't be accepted till mid february.*

Ok thank you
LoSKoP
Hi guys,

Just want to thank you for you speed in having the server ready so quickly and to provide all your members with the service you do so well to provide. In the grand scheme of things, having a personal website down for a couple of days is hardly life threatening. Besides, you all have real-life to concentrate on and those priorities are far more important.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work.

Cheers
Ez
raver
oh common... hasn`t this thread reached it`s maximum acceptance of spam? just close it already... it seems nothing more than a place to spam.. What`s done is done, the damage has happened, everything now is ok, what else is it to go on?