FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting rid of Windows XP home welcome screen

swormer
I recently just reinstalled windows xp, got all the updates and now it won't boot without a log in either from the welcome screen or the classic log in screen. I am the only one using this computer, I don't want to log in I just want it to boot straight up. I know this can be done because I was doing it before. I just can't remember where I changed this. Any help would be appreciated.
thiamshui
make sure u are the only user and do not set a password for it.. however, u hav to check the 'use welcome screen' so tht they will not load the classic prompt to enter the password.. it will boot straight in after a brief display of 'welcome'..
Animal
To do this, you'll need to download Tweak UI from the Microsoft site. Open the program, select "Logon" from the menu on the left hand side. Expand the menu by clicking the + next to it then select AUTOLOGON.

From here you can choose the account and enter a password - this will log the user on automatically when the computer starts.
TheGeek
I understand the convenience of starting a computer in this manor however, there is a very large security problem with this method of loggin on and its also not a good idea for people with multiple users and logons which may contain particular information that you dont want to be accessable to other people on the computer.

Tweak UI is a very nice program though, i got it the other day and i cant seem to get the alt-tab thing to work...anyone know how i can fix it so it works...i still have the normal alt-tab box...
swormer
Thank you all very much, I'm not concerned with any other users getting into things on my computer. What other security risks are there? Does that make it easier for viruses and spyware?
Nyizsa
swormer wrote:
Does that make it easier for viruses and spyware?

Yes, but not the fact that the computer boots up without asking for a password. The problem is that if you are the only user, you must have system administrator privileges. So you (or somebody else!) can install programs and change registry values and do anything you / he / the script want to. If you are connected to internet a lot, you should set up an other account with normal user privileges, and make it login automatically. (I am not sure how - TweakUI might help, as Animal wrote...)
swormer
Nyizsa wrote:

Yes, but not the fact that the computer boots up without asking for a password. The problem is that if you are the only user, you must have system administrator privileges. So you (or somebody else!) can install programs and change registry values and do anything you / he / the script want to. If you are connected to internet a lot, you should set up an other account with normal user privileges, and make it login automatically. (I am not sure how - TweakUI might help, as Animal wrote...)

Thank you very much Nyizsa, that just explained alot, it makes sense why to have different users available on your computer.
Arnie
It's simple. You don't need Tweak UI. Advanced editing of user accounts can be done by Start -> Run -> control userpasswords2 -> OK. With one account available that one should automatically be used.