FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

using sendmail

vijay
Hi,

Anyone successfully able to use sendmail to send emails on dial up connection ?

If so, than can you please direct me the URL or more info on that.

Thanks
comp615
Do you mean like integrating it into a php script or like using that on a website or what?
vijay
No I mean, using it from normal desktop.

Scenario: Desktop with Dial-up connection, RH Linux Installation (running like a server) with Sendmail.

So now is it feasible to make sendmail compensate the SMTP feature.

I have been using Gmail and found its brilliant, I dont want to leave it. But it's SMTP server is slow, in a sense, it takes real long time to send email through Evolution using Gmail. So if I can use my own SMTP through sendmail. Just giving a try.
mj_loc_nl
vijay wrote:
No I mean, using it from normal desktop.

Scenario: Desktop with Dial-up connection, RH Linux Installation (running like a server) with Sendmail.

So now is it feasible to make sendmail compensate the SMTP feature.

I have been using Gmail and found its brilliant, I dont want to leave it. But it's SMTP server is slow, in a sense, it takes real long time to send email through Evolution using Gmail. So if I can use my own SMTP through sendmail. Just giving a try.

Maybe a little out of scope but here is a script I use to work with mailx which is using my local smtp to send the daily message. Maybe it can be of use to you. If you need more info on sendmail do a “man sendmail” or take a look at the sendmail installation and operations manual at : http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/doc8.12/op.html

Code:

#!/bin/bash
# perfo_mailer.sh is used to send a daily report of the system. perfo_mailer.sh should be placed
# in CRON daily to work properly or can be triggerd by a user by using a command-line command.

# SEND_DATE variabel is used to set the date and time of when the mail is send
# to the addresses listed in the SEND_TO variable
SEND_DATE=`date`

# Use the SEND_TO variable to define the recipients of the report.
# Please note at this moment only canon-europe.com mail addresses can be reached.
SEND_TO="someone@blabla.com"

# Sending the actual mail in combination with the files.
mailx -s "[WOM] Daily performance. $SEND_DATE " $SEND_TO < /home/johan/cronmail/ps_log.txt