FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Capital Punishment






Capital Punishment?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Maybe/Undecided/Indifferent
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

Soulfire
Are you for or against capital punishment.

I am against it, and here is why:

1) It costs more through the legal system to put someone to death than to sentence them to life in prison.

2) How is giving someone the death penalty moral? That is to say, if they killed someone, aren't we just "sinking" to that person's level if we kill them?

3) A life in prison sounds like much more a punishment. They have all their life to think about where they could be if they hadn't committed the crime, and reminisce (sp?) on their actions.

4) More than 170 people have been released from death row for being innocent. The Governor of Pennsylvania found that there were so many innocent on death row that he ordered a temporary stop to executions until the problem was sorted out.

If we kill an innocent person, they lose their lives and a criminal is still out there.

5) From the Christian point of view, it is wrong to kill. The commandment "Thou shalt not kill" justifies it pretty well. Of course, I don't expect everyone to agree with this point.

What are your throughts?
Bondings
I certainly agree with argument 2 and 4. The money argument(1) shouldn't really matter as we are talking about a life - the cheapest way shouldn't be taken, although it is an advantage.

Argument 3, I partially agree as prison is a punishment while an execution is rather a form of revenge/hate.

I disagree with argument 5 as there are moral ways to justify killing someone. Like killing a terrorist to prevent him from blowing up a plane. If you replace the killing with murdering, then I would agree. (the killing in the bible is actually a wrong translation if I'm not mistaken)

And yes, I'm against it - I suppose you already know that.
Zuwiki
Soulfire wrote:

5) From the Christian point of view, it is wrong to kill. The commandment "Thou shalt not kill" justifies it pretty well. Of course, I don't expect everyone to agree with this point.


I am also a Christian, so I definetly have something to say there. Me and my friends have discussed this so much, it's started to get old. Many Christians believe in most of the laws of the Old Testament, I'm mostly talking about those in Leviticus, and I haven't met one that doesn't believe in the Ten Commandments. Some of the laws in Leviticus have a clear punishment of death, such as sleeping with your Mom.

I am undecided, because to me it is unclear in the New Testament whether or not we are still to follow those laws.
Soulfire
The 10 commandments are kind of the basis of everything, the laws we abide by. I myself have wondered this. We don't really follow the old testament, yet we pick and choose certain things to follow.

But I figured I needed one more argument.

Good points Bondings.
aidfarh
Soulfire wrote:
1) It costs more through the legal system to put someone to death than to sentence them to life in prison.


Well, this depends on which country you're in. In some country it's much cheaper to kill someone.

Soulfire wrote:
2) How is giving someone the death penalty moral? That is to say, if they killed someone, aren't we just "sinking" to that person's level if we kill them?


Morality is relative. Killing someone with a good reason it not the same same as killing without a good reason.

Soulfire wrote:
3) A life in prison sounds like much more a punishment. They have all their life to think about where they could be if they hadn't committed the crime, and reminisce (sp?) on their actions.


In that case, doesn't imprisoning someone then becomes cruel punishment? Better to just kill them and put them out of their misery.

Soulfire wrote:
4) More than 170 people have been released from death row for being innocent. The Governor of Pennsylvania found that there were so many innocent on death row that he ordered a temporary stop to executions until the problem was sorted out.

If we kill an innocent person, they lose their lives and a criminal is still out there.


This point and example given is so American-centric. If there are innocent people in death row, then something should be done about the criminal justice system. It's not a case against the capital punishment itself. If you're not confident that you convict the right person, then by all means let them go free. Better to free 10 guilty person than to imprison or kill one innocent person.

Soulfire wrote:
5) From the Christian point of view, it is wrong to kill. The commandment "Thou shalt not kill" justifies it pretty well. Of course, I don't expect everyone to agree with this point.


Well, I'm not Christian. But I'm a Muslim. And Islam says it's wrong to kill, unless there's a good reason. And punishing someone who committed murder is a good reason.

To me, the punishment for any crime should serve as a deterrent, and should reflect the gravity of the crime. If somebody murders someone, he should be killed in return. It's as simple as that. I don't understand why some people are so against it. Is there a shortage of people in the world that you feel the need to keep murderers alive?
LostOverThere
I think the death penalty is a horrible thing.

Dictionary Meaning:

Murder To kill with intention.

Its like saying to a baby 'Don't hit people' and then the parent hits them.
Same with the Death Panalty.
horseatingweeds
aidfarh wrote:
To me, the punishment for any crime should serve as a deterrent, and should reflect the gravity of the crime. If somebody murders someone, he should be killed in return. It's as simple as that. I don't understand why some people are so against it. Is there a shortage of people in the world that you feel the need to keep murderers alive?


The trouble is that most murderers would not be detered by the punishment of death.

Regardless, we have been implementing capital punishment for a long time and it doesn't seem to stop people from killing.

Also, with regard to old testiment law, I think Jesus sumed it up when he said, "he without sin may cast the first stone".
TeK
LostOverThere wrote:
I think the death penalty is a horrible thing.

Dictionary Meaning:

Murder To kill with intention.

Its like saying to a baby 'Don't hit people' and then the parent hits them.
Same with the Death Panalty.
I agree with that. I've always opposed the death penalty for that reason. I mean, why sink to their level when punishing them if the law is suppose to be bigger than them.
aidfarh
horseatingweeds wrote:
The trouble is that most murderers would not be detered by the punishment of death.

Regardless, we have been implementing capital punishment for a long time and it doesn't seem to stop people from killing.

Also, with regard to old testiment law, I think Jesus sumed it up when he said, "he without sin may cast the first stone".


You said most murderers would not be deterred, that means at least some are, right? If we can save even one innocent life, wouldn't that be worth it?
psycosquirrel
I am pro-death penalty.

But, I am against the system in action today. The whole nation needs to do as Texas is; if someone is sentenced to death, kill them instead of going through the years of waiting. Anyone who kills an individual in a brutal enough manner to be sentenced to death is no longer able to be a productive member to society anyways. I am Catholic, and disagree with senseless murder of individuals, but I do not feel that the death penalty is wrong. As I said before, anyone who can commit so heinous a crime is no longer human to me.
aidfarh
LostOverThere wrote:
I think the death penalty is a horrible thing.

Dictionary Meaning:

Murder To kill with intention.

Its like saying to a baby 'Don't hit people' and then the parent hits them.
Same with the Death Panalty.


Which dictionary are you quoting? According to Webster,
murder: 1: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought
http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=murder
horseatingweeds
aidfarh wrote:
horseatingweeds wrote:
The trouble is that most murderers would not be detered by the punishment of death.

Regardless, we have been implementing capital punishment for a long time and it doesn't seem to stop people from killing.

Also, with regard to old testiment law, I think Jesus sumed it up when he said, "he without sin may cast the first stone".


You said most murderers would not be deterred, that means at least some are, right? If we can save even one innocent life, wouldn't that be worth it?


For crying out loud!!!!!

psycosquirre wrote:
But, I am against the system in action today. The whole nation needs to do as Texas is; if someone is sentenced to death, kill them instead of going through the years of waiting. Anyone who kills an individual in a brutal enough manner to be sentenced to death is no longer able to be a productive member to society anyways. I am Catholic, and disagree with senseless murder of individuals, but I do not feel that the death penalty is wrong. As I said before, anyone who can commit so heinous a crime is no longer human to me.


We need to find a better way. Something more affective. Killers don't fear death. Once you take control of something as powerful as a life.
XSTG
PITIFUL!!! I am totally against and I will stay against. He killed someone, that's horrible, yes, good good and all, let him end his life in a jail with much more pain than death and with the tought he killed someone all his life. Why kill the people who killed another? You become a murderer too. That's it, no other point to add, I really don't know why people are PRO-DEATH PAIN!
psycosquirrel
Death does not mean pain, XSTG. Most prisoners die completely humanely...

I do agree with Horse that there needs to be a better way. But punishing someone by putting them in a prison that may be nicer life than the ghetto they came from is not much of a punishment.

Killers do fear death, and if they don't, at least they will no longer be a burden to society if they are put to death.

I am not pro-capital punishment for all murderers, only ones that are put to death legally. With our government, you cannot be given the death penalty unless your murder was a premeditated, first-degree murder. Anyone who is brutal enough to commit something this heinous should not even be allowed to threaten the lives of other prisoners...
quixotic
I am completely against the death penalty for the same reasons I'm against all forms of killing other people. No one has the right to determine who lives and who dies, and to say that a person gave up their right to live when they killed another person is ridiculous. We're all human, so we should all be treated as such, reguardless of what we've done.

Killing someone for murder is redundant. Killing a killer. And all it does is give the loved ones of the victim the feeling that they got revenge. And what about the family of the killer? Yes, most are lonely people, but they still have parents, siblings, and other family. If someone were to kill my mother, I know I wouldn't want the killer to die.

Getting revenge isn't even something we're supposed to look favorably on in civilized society, yet that's what capital punishment is. Legal revenge.
acamas
I would rather people rot in prison for the rest of their lives! They should get very restricted visitors and are forced to do hours and hours of work without reward! If People are stupid enough to get into crime they should be punished. But they should not be killed. While some people are sick and twisted killing them can cause the problems of killing the wrong people. People are put away into jail nearly every day being charged with things that they did not do. I think that people who are being killed may be innocent, how would like if your father was set up for murder and then is killed for it?

I say no. Lucky I live in the compasionate country of Australia.
ahlai
If someone broke the law like murder and causes harm alot of people
i believe that capital punishment can be implemented.
if capital punishment is too harsh, life sentence will be gd .
to resocialise this person.
however, we should think carefully before carrying out such act.
igor123d
I firmly believe that capital punisment has no place in modern society. Certainly in this new world of increased humanims, we cannot tolerate the murder of individuals by others as punitive retribution. Studies show that capital punishment is not a deterrent for crime nor does it serve the victims or the criminals. ALthough some victims might see closure in the murder ot their nemesis, others will see another life destroyed by humans. What good is it to let a criminal escape this life by killing him. It is better to let him live the rest of his life thinking about the crimes he commited and to allow him to repent.
Related topics
Is the death penalty wrong?
Stanley "Tookie" Williams
Treason?
I knew the Governator wouldn't let me down...
Australian hung despite plea for clemency from the UN
Conservative Christian Dictionary.
An eye for an eye
If you had £1,000,000 What would you so with it?
Serial killer tries to kill himself.
Abortion or Murder?
NAZIS
What is MORALITY, the concept? Let’s be philosophers.
true stuff
The Chinese build mobile execution chambers
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.