FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I want to start using Linux.

GDG
Hey everyone,

I was planning on using Linux form now on seeing as microsofts Windows is getting pretty boring ot me now and I want to try out new things which is why I am planning on trying to install it on my computer. I heard from a relative that Linux Mandriva is good, so I did some research and I got my self Linux Mandrive PowerPack+. I still have not installed but I want to soon.

Before I install it though I was wondering if anyoen has ever used Mandriva before, there previous name was Mandrake. If you have some pictures that I can view that would be nice.

Next I want to know what might be some defects of installing it, like is it ok and good to use or will there be some bad things to it. I mean I already know that it is much safer in terms of security than Windows is and have read somewhere that it has better connections with openGL.

And finally when I install it, should I install any certain programs and for what reasons should I install them. If I do not have to install could you please tell me what I would recieve with Linux at installation if it is possible to install it lol. Thank you so much for helping me out. Smile
RA
Mandriva is supposed to be a fairly user friendly OS, but I don't know too much about it. I personally use Mephis 3.4.3 for some stuff. It is very good at helping new Linux users who are used to Windows.

In any case, I recommend that you install various versions of Linux, and try them each for a week or two.

RA
flashmoto
I would start with suse linux. You can buy it in stores but it's also free from their website. It's now called opensuse. Its really secure. It's also very reliable, i havn't seen it crash on my pc. I would do a partition of your system so that you can use both linux and windows. Also join a linux forums so you can get help as soon as posible. Very Happy
PADRE[P.S.]
flashmoto wrote:
I would start with suse linux. You can buy it in stores but it's also free from their website. It's now called opensuse. Its really secure. It's also very reliable, i havn't seen it crash on my pc. I would do a partition of your system so that you can use both linux and windows. Also join a linux forums so you can get help as soon as posible. Very Happy

SuSe is really user friendly and at the same time is powerfull tool for advanced users.
KHO
only downside l've seen to installing linux (dual-boot SuSe) is that it eats 18gb of my laptops memory and it gives you a prompt when you boot asking you which OS to use Neutral. And that's really not that bad Neutral.
vijay
I would just deviate a bit on this topic. My suggestion for newbie in Linux would always be RedHat.

The reason for that is fairly simple, high number of linux installation are RH. Also if you search on google for help, you will get help fairly easily for RH compared to other distribution. Further, its RPM concept is much more easier to understand for newbies.

Anyway, this are my personal opinion and I am not trying to downgrade any othe distro in any manner. But yes, give a thought on the "help" option.
Jaiye
In all of my linux experience, there has been one extremely user friendly distro that i've found, and that I use exclusively right now. Ubuntu Linux ( http://www.ubuntu.com/ ). The installer is not 'pretty' with fancy graphics, but it is simple and easy to understand.

Once you get into the OS it has a wonderful package manager to update your system and install almost any software use would need. And there is also a program called Automatix ( http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66563 ) which will install pretty much all neccessary components automatically.

At the very least give it a try, but you'll probably end up loving it if you do.
saiyeek
Jaiye wrote:
In all of my linux experience, there has been one extremely user friendly distro that i've found, and that I use exclusively right now. Ubuntu Linux ( http://www.ubuntu.com/ ). The installer is not 'pretty' with fancy graphics, but it is simple and easy to understand.

Once you get into the OS it has a wonderful package manager to update your system and install almost any software use would need. And there is also a program called Automatix ( http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=66563 ) which will install pretty much all neccessary components automatically.

At the very least give it a try, but you'll probably end up loving it if you do.

Yes Ubuntu is Good. I am using it. It is useful for desktop users.
Helios
Fedora is nice for desktops.

If you like solving technical problems and want a stabe OS, use Debian.
It has the best package manager and it's very stable, but you need to be quite experienced in 'how linux works'.

So just start with SUSE, Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu or others like these..

In general, I recommend on using Debian.
Jedi Master
The topic of which Linux to use is always a contest lol!!

To see screenshots of *nix go here: http://shots.osdir.com/

I personally like both Fedora and Ubuntu. I like the graphical installer that comes with Fedora, and how you can choose the packages to be installed in Fedora. But in Fedora, I dislike the repositories. Ubuntu has the best repositories that I've seen. I also like how doing yum update in Fedora updates the kernels and drivers.

In Ubuntu it has very nice repositories so you will barely have to compile a package from source, but doing apt-get update won't update the kernels. I also like in Ubuntu how you can do, I believe, apt-get install j2re-1.5 or something rather than installing Java manually as in Fedora.

If you have the space, I would recommend trying more than one distro, and using something like Partition Magic to zap the one you don't like and in *nix adding on the extra space.
avk
I used Ubuntu linux and it is really good
However hard to use

Yeah!!
galbotrix
If you are new to linux and want to try out a user friendly distribution, then I'd recommend you to go for Mandriva ( as you have already mentioned). But in my opinion trying standard linux distributions like Fedora or SUSE would be much better. Fedora 4 and SUSE 10 (Open SUSE)are very good for newbies. Ubuntu is good as well... specially they can ship you the CDs free of charge! So if possible try any one of the above mentioned distros and welcome to the world of open source Smile
Nhoj
I've used Ubuntu quite a bit and it's incredibly easy to set up. My wife, who is just a point-and-click user, has no problem with it. I would also recomment Fedora Core and Gentoo and relatively easy to use options. All require a little thought to install, but not much. ;p
Jaiye
dude, gentoo is a major pain in the ass if you're not experienced, and waiting for everything to compile is a huge turn-off for anybody less then a power user. I started and learned everything on gentoo, but after a couple months I discovered Ubuntu and debian packages, and have not looked back since.
Mrs Lycos
Which version of Linux to use will depend on what you want it for. All the versions here are "user friendly" and most of them try to have a look and feel like Windows. I personally think that the whole idea of Linux is being able to configure it all by yourself, and learning it to its core you end up loving it. All this new versions with packages to install, very much like Windows, really configure everything for you, so it's only one more win-like OS.
My advice is that if you really want to use something different, then try Slackware or Debian and try to learn everything outside the KDE or Gnome environment (=wiondows) if you really want to use Linux to its full potential.
webbone
I think suse linux 10 is very good,Easy install and easy use,very like windows xp os,I think you can quickly use it...
aardvark
I too am a great fan of Suse Linux. It's one of the best for recognising hardware (network cards, display cards, etc).
solarwind
Suse is really nice. But I would suggest Ubuntu for a first timer. Especially 6.04 will be released on June 1 and the screenshots look better than windoze.
edit_text
I have used many distros (currently Ubuntu.) And most are very easy to setup and use. The biggest problem with migrating to linux is not so much finding a distro, but finding a suitable replacement for "your" killer apps. For me, I will continue using a machine with windows for mainly two applications. NewsRover and iTunes, neither is support by Wine nor are their suitable replacements that I have found. Sure I could set up a virtual machine, but that is a huge waste of disk space and memory.

As far as dual booting. Don't. Most of the time, unless you are really dedicated, you will find yourself back in windows. Rather, I would recommend trying to find a cheap second computer to set up and experiment with. To this day, I have my Power machine that is used for games, my iPod, and downloads. This runs windows. It's also dual boot, not that I have touched that in months. Then I have my Linux machine, (sad to say it has sacrificed it's self to make my Skype server) on which I do my surfing, wordprocessing and other daily tasks. (As soon as I get a new case for her she will be back up and running.)

Using linux is very rewarding, I wish you the best of luck no matter what route you take.

e_t
john01385
yeah, i have been using KUBUNTU for a while now, although i enjoy the K desktop environment i get frustrated with the fact that my fav programs will not run on anything but windows.... grrr. its so annoying! but yeah, linux is good, just hope it becomes more popular.
saurabh.sauron
i prefer ubuntu. though installation is not that easy, it has all the softwares installed. it syncs with the user with ease...
charredii
You may consider looking at Distrowatch.com

It's a really good place to see the multitudes of different distro's as well as the ususal Ubuntu, fedora, suse, etc.
Animal
Hi all,

I'm aware this is quite an old thread, but there are already loads of "Which Linux" threads available. This one has been recently stickied in the correct forum (Operating Systems) so please continue this discussion there.

-close-