FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PC building

ericbobson
I recently got into PC building as a hobby. Amazingly easy and SO MUCH cheaper than off the peg. I built my DREAM PC for under 600 and I love it. Everyone should try it! Buy a book about it (like "Dude, you cand do it! How to Build a Sweeet PC")

It's cheaper, better components, and you aren't bound to the corporate machine. Whatsmore, you become tech-savvy and ALWAYS know what to do when things go wrong.

PS. If you do this, use LINUX! Windows is too expensive and LINUX IS BETTER.
gh0stface
Glad you finally figured it out that building your computer is better. Not only do you know what is going into your computer, but majority of the time, you know it's going to be a high quality part and a lot easier to upgrade in the future.
ocalhoun
Nice, it really is very easy. I built my first computer.
Nhoj
I've always built my computers. It's cheaper and you can give it what you want, instead of settling for things. You also can be sure of your ability to upgrade. A lot of the pre-made computers now are impossible to upgrade for various reasons (glued together, no room for other vendor's parts) and building your own seems to be the best solution.
djclue917
However, there are several risks involved. ESD is one of them. If you are not careful, you might end up with damaged hardware. It's all good though. It's also a way to somehow understand the inner workings of a computer. That might be good for gaining troubleshooting know-how.
Animal
In my experience, building your own computer isn't actually much cheaper (if at all) than buying from a large manufacturer like Dell - they get huge volume discounts on components, so as a private buyer you are actually paying a premium.

My main issue with build-it-yourself is that you have no overall computer warranty. If your power supply is faulty and it fries your motherboard, you've got a major fight on your hands to get the power supply manufacturer to replace the motherboard. If you buy a computer as a full computer, everything's covered.

Likewise, the support is generally quite good. If you build your own machine and it doesn't work then you have a hard time tracking down the error yourself.

I know, I know - before anyone has a go at me, I'm aware that if you know loads about computer hardware, it's not really an issue, but I'd really not recommend it to relative noobs just looking to save some money.
jaysen
I understand your point Animal... there is lots of hardware configurations that don't work well together and if a person is unaware of them, it can make thw whole thing more of a headache than its worth. I would suggest before anyone try to do this, that they do a lot of research into what works best with what.

Price also depends on where you go... honestly, yes a new pc MAY be cheaper isometimes although rarely, but they are rarely upgradable as well. If you watch waht you are bulidng, you save a lot of money in the long run by being able to upgrade the lacking componants, rather than just tossing the unit for something that works better.
As far as warranties though, I've found that depends more on where you buy the item(s) in question. Finding a good source for all your components makes life a lot easier, and a lot of places are good to suggest things to help a "newbie" along the way.

Thankfully, nowadays, building a pc is childs play compared to the old systems of yesteryear when there was no such thing as plug and play.
d722002
All but 3 of the 8 computers in my house are Hand made. 2 are laptops.
SoftStag
ericbobson wrote:
I recently got into PC building as a hobby. Amazingly easy and SO MUCH cheaper than off the peg. I built my DREAM PC for under 600 and I love it. Everyone should try it! Buy a book about it (like "Dude, you cand do it! How to Build a Sweeet PC")

It's cheaper, better components, and you aren't bound to the corporate machine. Whatsmore, you become tech-savvy and ALWAYS know what to do when things go wrong.

PS. If you do this, use LINUX! Windows is too expensive and LINUX IS BETTER.

Building a PC is not as difficult as many people think. I would never buy one off the shelf, as it is cheaper to build my own, and you get exactly the spec you want.

I'm not sure that by building a PC you automatically become enough tech-savvy to ALWAYS know what to do when things go wrong. It certainly helps, but even with years of experience you always come across things that stump you. This is where online tech forums come in handy!
izcool
I've built 3 of my own PC's with more expected to be coming lol. Wink

Yes, I can also agree that you can wind up spending more on your own custom machine rathar than buying one that's pre-built, but I do it for the hobby of it instead of trying to save a couple of dollars by doing it myself. The only things that you can't really build is the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and other peripherals. Razz

You need to know what you're doing, as when I first started, I had no idea that there was a lot to know about building them. I wound up buying a very cheap motherboard (not that good at all, didn't even work !!) and I was being too cheap on the parts to go inside of it also. I've learned so much about computer hardware from doing it, and yes, it can get very frustrating.

- Mike.
qbawler311
Many years ago when I decided to build my first PC I ran into this site which is all about building your first computer. Step-by-step instructions on adding every peripheral to your PC. All noobs just getting your feet wet this will definitly help. Check out http://www.mysuperpc.com/
popnbrown
I think that building your own computer is very fun. However, it is very important to know the different parts of a computer. You should also look at customer reviews for the seperate components you buy. I also recommend you buy at Newegg.com. It is a great site dat ships amazingly fast and very reliable. You should also determine what type of PC you want to build. I made my first gaming computer. It is very very fast and top of the line. I payed $2000 for all my parts. I re-made it and sold it for $3000 on ebay. That's why it is a very good hobby. I have to agree dat its fun and easy.