FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


`Things to know for real Computer NOOB'






Do you want an advanced tutorial ?
Yes this one was Sh**t
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
NO this one was Sh**t
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Yes this one was a divin job
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

_B_O_B_
Hi Here is a litl tutorial on what you must know about computer and how to turn them faster "safely".

First I'm French so don't be surprise if my English is not excellent.

Secondly this is not a fool proof tutorial I can't be responsible if something if not true in you specific case, however it should be true for must common of us...

Ok lets get start.

The Things to NOT do!

1- Never go on porn site that you don’t trust* or are suspect ( why this is the first thing I say, because it's where ppl go first when they got internet ) *Site that don't let you go else than alt+crl+del end your browser

2- Never give you credit card on a site that doesn’t show a secure card logo.

3- Do not trust all ppl asking private information trough the net.

Usually trusted site ask your name, password, and a valid e-mail.

No addresses, no tel number, no credit card number to ... Duh!

4- Do not download things on personal web site, it may be infected whit virus or hacking tools.

5- Do not download programs that you don't need, they usually eat your memory space for noting.

(For annimal got to these site you will have fun wow i can add more than 24 task icon on my task bar... perfect for you

or

wow i will know what i eat from a nobody the point here is there no need of a program, web page do the job)

6- Do not search for warez on internet site, first it is not legal (government may find you), Secondly it could be infected whit virus. (If you really need it use torrent site, i'm not telling you how to get this on this tutorial, because all the legal thing )

7- Do not overclock your computer if you don't know what you do. By overclocking I mean Boosting your CPU to a higher rate that the companies setted by default. * thx to animal for the spelling


Things to DO ...

1- always uninstall program that load on your taskbar and you don't use¤ ... , lower right corner on your screen, they eat your memory, making your computer starting and running slower for noting.

2- Use an anti-spy ware often, like Ad-Aware SE, the best for me as he is free for personal use... Spy ware are program that hide on your computer to transmit and collect information about you.

3- Use free anti-viruses like panda software, pc-cilin or Mozilla Thunderbird¤ you can use it directly from the web.

4- If you didn't got any E-mail addresses, you should do it now, there is many providers for free. like Hotmail! or Gmail.

5- If you had to got on untrusted site, warez, porn, ppl site you don’t trust, ... set your cookies to block all.... (Internet explorer user, go to --Tool -- internet options... -- privacy -- and raise it to the top ) (note, some site want you to allow cookies before using there services, always think before accepting ) Adblock on firefox don't block cookies¤ that can be use to infect your computer...

6- High speed connection only, go to your parameters of your "LAN card" (don't know this word and to lazy to search ) set your QoS packet scheduler to off (unclick it) this is unused on dsl connection and limit connection speed. *don't understand the objection of animal on this so i will let this like that... cause I know this slow the internet speed... (I'm god and I can't be wrong as this corection of my tutorial show )

that it for now ... you can ask me question here i will probably answer a day

See you again

special thx to animal for the comments he did on my tutorial.
comment are marked whit this ¤
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Animal
_B_O_B_ wrote:
1- Never go on porn site that you don’t trust or know ( why this is the first thing I say, because it's where ppl go first when they got internet Wink )

So how do you know what ones you can trust then??? Wink

_B_O_B_ wrote:
3- Do not trust all ppl asking private information trough the net.

Usually trusted site ask your name, password, and a valid e-mail.

No addresses, no tel number, no credit card number to ... Duh!

This does make it quite difficult to shop on the internet though.

_B_O_B_ wrote:
4- Do not download things on personal web site, it may be infected whit virus or hacking tools.

Or it might be excellent non-mainstream programming. Download whatever you want, but scan it with an Anti-Virus program before you open it.

_B_O_B_ wrote:
5- Do not download programs that you don't need, they usually eat your memory space for noting.

Where's the fun in that??? If computers only ever run things you need then nobody would use them in their spare time.

_B_O_B_ wrote:
6- Do not search for warez on internet site, first it is not legal (government may find you), Secondly it could be infected whit virus. (If you really need it use torrent site, i'm not telling you how to get this on this tutorial, because all the legal thing Razz )

Don't download warez at all - they're illegal and if you do, somebody might shoot you. Shocked

_B_O_B_ wrote:
7- Do not overcloak your computer if you don't know what you do.

Overcloaking - yes. To do this, get a large piece of fabric and put it over your computer.... or do you mean overclocking???

_B_O_B_ wrote:
Things to DO ...

1- always uninstall program that load on your taskbar, lower right corner on your screen, they eat your memory, making your computer starting and running slower for noting.

Unless those things are anti-virus programs, firewalls or anything else useful that you use all the time.

_B_O_B_ wrote:
3- Use free anti-viruses like panda software or pc-cilin, you can use it directly from the web.

Or use AVG Free from http://free.grisoft.com

_B_O_B_ wrote:
4- If you didn't got any E-mail addresses, you should do it now, there is many providers for free. like Hotmail! or Gmail.

Yeah, but Hotmail sucks since you can't use POP and SMTP access so you're stuck with the useless web-interface. Get an email program like Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird - they're much better.

_B_O_B_ wrote:
5- If you had to got on untrusted site, warez, porn, ppl site you don’t trust, ... set your cookies to block all.... (Internet explorer user, go to --Tool -- internet options... -- privacy -- and raise it to the top ) (note, some site want you to allow cookies before using there services, always think before accepting )

Or just use Mozilla Firefox with adblock. But really, don't go to warez sites... ever. They're bad.

_B_O_B_ wrote:
6- High speed connection only, go to your parameters of your "LAN card" (don't know this word and to lazy to search Razz ) set your QoS packet scheduler to off (unclick it) this is unused on dsl connection and limit connection speed.

Or don't.

_B_O_B_ wrote:
that it for now ... you can ask me question here i will probably answer a day Razz

How do you have so much experience with porn sites and warez sites???
Hobbit
Nice tut although most people here are noobs, I haven't heard of a noob that has their own website at least.
root
Some of this stuff is common sense I guess..but it's an OK tut for those touching a computer for the first time..
_B_O_B_
hello, just a small thing or two, 1 the title was : “for real noob” don't read it if your not a noob Razz "it is not mean for you and 2 i had liked to write something more advanced, but I don't wish to write on tricks I don't know very well.

hehe ______ maby i will edit it again .... for the plesur of thos who think this sux ... (majority) or i will write in the frensh section i discovered today Razz
jaysen
well... not bad advice, but it's kind of being overly cautious in my opinion....

just to add to that....

If you don't know if a program has spyware/malware, research it. After all you do happen to be sitting in front of a computer with internet access right?

Run a good firewall! (And not the POS with Xp either) Its not as hard as it may sound and i'm sure the fine folks in these forums would have plenty of good suggestions as to which one to use. (Myself i find sygate is a good one) And, whiule running your firewall, if a program you never heard of suddenly attempts accessing the internet, take down the name and research it.... so you know what it is. If you do get infected, the first step of fixing the problem is being albe to catch it early, before anything serious is done

A lot of places ask you to "sign up" before you get what you want, like drivers, downloads etc. and end up adding you to mailing lists without your consent. (read SPAM) Go to hotmail, yahoo or wherever and sign up with a "Spam" account that doesn't matter if you get crap in your e-mail all the time... this will save your "real" addys for your friends/family etc.

Obviously maintenance of your computer is a smart thing to be doing. Defrag regularily, run system checks, virus scans etc. If you are comfortable opening your computer, cleaning out the internal fans is good to do as well, to keep them efficiently cooling what they are supposed to

Consider using Firefox (free) over Internet Explorer. This reduces the potential for a lot of crap that could damage your computer and your sanity. Not that Explorer is bad...i still use it myself on occasion, but it is well known for its security holes.. besides you may find out why people think firefox is better overall

DO NOT let programs auto start with windows aside from the essentials that you will always be using, such as your firewall and antivirus. i've fixed many slow computers of people where they had numerous useless utilities and programs running in the background... horrible waste of resources, and drags down your systems performance considerably.

Ambulance chaser software.. don't be fooled by it. Sometimes, if you do get infected with spyware/adware, you will see pop ups saying you have it, and recommending you download "____" program to fix it. DON'T!!! Usually programs like that are no good, and may only do mare damage than good. Instead, find a reputable program to do it instead.
TheGeek
Quote:
3- Use free anti-viruses like panda software, pc-cilin or Mozilla Thunderbird¤ you can use it directly from the web


Thunderbird is an Email program its not an anti-virus program, i think you may have gotten his suggestions confused when making the additions.
TheGeek
Quote:
_B_O_B_ wrote:
4- If you didn't got any E-mail addresses, you should do it now, there is many providers for free. like Hotmail! or Gmail.

Yeah, but Hotmail sucks since you can't use POP and SMTP access so you're stuck with the useless web-interface. Get an email program like Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird - they're much better.


You still need an email client, those are simply programs that download your mail for you for things like a business that has an email server or something. They can be used for things like Gmail and Yahoo, but since those come with their own webmail interfaces they arent neccessary. If you use Outlook or Thunderbird (thunderbird is prefered here) you will still need some sort of email account like gmail or yahoo. Then you have to go through the setup in thunderbird or Outlook to get the program to retreive your email.
Animal
TheGeek wrote:
You still need an email client, those are simply programs that download your mail for you for things like a business that has an email server or something. They can be used for things like Gmail and Yahoo, but since those come with their own webmail interfaces they arent neccessary. If you use Outlook or Thunderbird (thunderbird is prefered here) you will still need some sort of email account like gmail or yahoo.


Yes, I know that... the point I was making is that if you have a Hotmail account, you can't access it using POP (that's what mail client software like thunderbird needs) unless you pay. Ditto for Yahoo. Gmail gives you free POP and SMTP access, as do virtually all ISP based email addresses.

TheGeek wrote:
Then you have to go through the setup in thunderbird or Outlook to get the program to retreive your email.


True, but setup takes about 3 mins for all your email accounts (I currently use 5 email accounts with Thunderbird) then it takes about 10 seconds to check and download new mails (depending on email size, obviously) from all accounts. If you used 5 web-based email services like Hotmail, Yahoo etc, then you would easily spend 5 to 10 mins each time you checked your email since you have to load several different web pages, type usernames, passwords and so on.

Mail client software is much more convenient. It also has the added bonus of being able to compose offline (good for dial-up users), use more advanced stationery and it allows you to use encryption if you so wish.
Related topics
Wath should my new PC contain
No Sound ;/
10 things you should know about every Linux installation
Best MMORPG there is
New rockstar! lol
[OFFICIAL] What are you currently reading?
If Hardly Davidson made Computers instead of Motorcycles...
FriHost's official IRC Chat Channel
which ftp program do u use?
Computer for sale!
Help with Photoshop
Who have a worst pc
Stupid Support People
PS3 Fails
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.