FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Electronic Music

ONi-
Does anyone else here listen to electronic music? I am a big fan of Kyle Ward's music. What is everyone else's favorite electronic music artists? Tell it all here. I feel that most electronic music is under-rated and it kinda pisses me off when people say "Techno sux!!!11!!!one!"
ntothes
I like the Prodigy, but I guess they're kinda more mainstream now. I also love the Postal Service. They use Electronic beats and have poppy/rock lyrics on top of them. I've always like techno, but I don't know any good artists. I like the kind that's in racing games, like real fast paced and cool sounding. Any suggestions?
SunburnedCactus
I'm more into the Plaid/Aphex Twin/Autechre side of things. There's a huge range of electronic music covering all kinds of genres. Try www.bleep.com and have a listen to some of the mp3s, see if you find something you like.
CamiBor
ONi- wrote:
Does anyone else here listen to electronic music? I am a big fan of Kyle Ward's music. What is everyone else's favorite electronic music artists? Tell it all here. I feel that most electronic music is under-rated and it kinda pisses me off when people say "Techno sux!!!11!!!one!"

i am a fan of them to..
djcaution
Very Happy Dude I live, breathe, eat, and sleep electronic music. Oh and I listen to it too lol. Seriously though it's a giant part of my life. I'm an electronic music DJ, on Feb 18th 2006 I'm DJing at a rave with Anne Savage!!! I can't wait. Here download some of my music from my site let me know what you think: http://www.caution.frih.net
jeremoi
I heart electro and saing electro. Particularly in French. I find that the dj kicks xompilations are really interesting ways to finad interestion electronic music.
Granard
So I like it.

I didn't know lot of band but I like listen to Fischerspooner sometimes Smile
Ofinet
Yehhhh go Postal Sevice Razz

Techno, is by far, the most widespread (and arguably, the most popular)type of music worldwide. You can go to Singapore or any other Asian country, better yet, anywhere in Europe, and people will dance to it, no matter where it came from. Plus it's closely tied with dancing, easier to dance to than rock...where you mosh and headbang. I like the fact also that with Techno, you don't need lyrics, the music speaks for itself. It's like Classical music for our generation.

I do love Groove Armada, St. Germain and Massive Attack, but they lean more towards Jazz. That being said, they're still definitely Electronic...ish.
elcyron
ONi- wrote:
Does anyone else here listen to electronic music?

yep, started ot with classics like Jarre, Vangelis, Kitaro, Kraftwerk. i still like their old tunes, the new material is still pretty good but it kind of get's lost in the huge amount of electronic music today.

Quote:
I feel that most electronic music is under-rated and it kinda pisses me off when people say "Techno sux!!!11!!!one!"

IMO these people don't undestand music. most people just want to hear lullabies - an easy melody and some "lalala"-lyrics, wont care for them either.

now electronic music doesn't work like that. it produces emotions, colors your imagination makes you move. as mentioned before in this thread it is much like classical music.

of course there is a lot of trash, you don't get good music just by being electronic
enigmamkp
I dont like electronic musics so real thins too much feeling.Electronik music is unnatural.
XxGunner
Ya i love Electronic music, its great. I listen to ATC which is A Touch of Class but they aint electric that much more of dance and techno kind but they rock lol. I recommend them for you, get some there really good.
Scott
I'm a huge fan of electronic music, some artists I'm really into are, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Radiohead, NIN and Beck. ALthough there are a lot more.

I have also been really into electronic music production for a while. I do a lot of work with softsynths in Reason, combined with some glitchy beats. I played guitar for a long time before liking electronic music, so I like to add some guitar into my work.

Electronic music really widespread and diverse, it's a complete breath of fresh air for a songwriter. So many new things and sounds are possible.
elcyron
enigmamkp wrote:
Electronik music is unnatural.

so is using the internet or wearing shoes. what's your point?
Fall To Your Knees
KMFDM Smile
prongs_386
electronic effects in songs can be good, but seriously once the entire song is made out of just that it loses alot of the essence of music.
landoflegends
over here in Europe trance techno and house are massive! i love rap but trance has me by the balls....they way the tunes can just change your mood from chilled out to hoppin' off walls is amazing! and i just bought an excellent cd called trancemasters 5000 if anyone is deep into their trance i recommend it![/b]
anxiety1
my fav is stuff like

portishead
faithless
phx777
offcourse electronica is underrated when most people dont even know what real electronic music is and never heared any... plus if you check what most of those that spit over without arguments liten to (mainstream pop and shit ussualy like britney spears, etc. with some lyrics that are supposed to make the song popular and big boobs (i mean get real, you can tell the quality of music right away if the number of listeners is more influenced by the size of singers breast then by her actual production (well it isnt really hers but still)....

personaly i like tons of electronic music, but would harly say who my favoruite producers are, cause i could put a whole list of them here Razz (like really long one)

(btw i think there was a topic on this allready, anyway ill mention some of them anyway)

btw heres my guild website http://gdc.atspace.org (title of the background single is ecstasy Razz)

psytrance:
tikal
astrix
1200 micrograms
alien project
wizzy noise

techno (some really legendary singles)
underground resistance - knights of the jaguar
umek - lanicor, gatex, chukerchek
alexander kowalski - speaker attack
ViperXXL - Doin 'N' Selling Drugs
tomaz vs filterheads - sunshine
the horrorist - one night in nyc
DK8 - murder was the bass

techno (other stuff)
oxia (in general)
unknown - gimme schranz joanna (its crap but i love it) Razz

progressive:
Transparent Sound - Fade To Grey (Turk & Kemu RMX) (legendary too Razz)

speedcore:
hellfish & producer (dont listen to this shit, it will make you sick) Razz
but if you really want to:
martian ambasador, toilet wars, the true creators

i mean, this is just a tiny tiny micro part of the things i would really recommend to people that like electronic music Razz microscopic... i have 25gb of music and i know like 90% of files Razz i actually feel like i dont have enough cause i want more new stuff lol Smile
kinkladze
Bleep.com roxx[/b]
cortez_tb
nice .. but what do you guys think about techno .. or techno minimal .. and dj`s like sven vath , richie hawtin , ricardo villalobos , magda.. cocoon bookings ? techno-minimal is my favourite type of music Wink
kinkladze
Really not a DJ fan. Its all about the artists for me...probably cus I am one lol. But Hawtin does some good shit for sure and as for techno there's some great artists around, such as Matthew Dear but generally I'm more into the more esoteric-ambient-elctronic stuff such as Bola, Murcof and that kinda gear. lets face it, Autechre aint exactly far removed from techno...

Smokin'
Josso
I'm really into Aphex Twin, Autechre, U-ziq, Boards of Canada, and Squarepusher myself.
Lennon
yeah, e music is popular in europe, but in Ireland it's still not popular enough to be well known. i'm still in the dark about loads of dj's, you'd have to be in the know with contacts.
djcaution
Oh how I wish I lived in Europe... I hear stories of people saying how everything is flipped around backwards from here. Instead of every station on the radio being hip hop/rock and maybe 1 electronic music station, EVERY STATION IS ELECTRONIC MUSIC!!! My dream is to visit there
tony
im not big on the old techno: the likes of kraftwerk, etc. but the new idm/glitch of indietronic groups like the postal service, the notwist, and lali puna do a great job of mixing quality vocals with unique electronic instrumentation. its indie bands like these that make music for music - not for money. they use electronic instrumentation often because its significantly cheaper than studio-based guitars, drumsets, and keyboards.
aceman14
My favorite is the crystal method, the bass is awesome. i also like the chemical brothers, dj venom, and dj markski.
Josso
djcaution wrote:
Oh how I wish I lived in Europe... I hear stories of people saying how everything is flipped around backwards from here. Instead of every station on the radio being hip hop/rock and maybe 1 electronic music station, EVERY STATION IS ELECTRONIC MUSIC!!! My dream is to visit there

Whoa. If I get what your saying that's slightly wrong. There's really anti-electronic music people hear aswell to be honest but the truth is that the "underground" electronic music scene is definatly more obvious. Certainly if you want really experimental electronic come here but it's not as extreme as you were describing. I have a pretty hard time finding people into that kind of stuff but then again I live in a fairly non-open minded area I suppose if you could call it that.
william jones
electronic music has changed everyone's life wheather they admit it or not.
it has changed the face of scoring and sound design
it has changed the studio
and has affected every form of entertainment
to say you don't like electronic music is as stupid as saying i don't like music
it is not bound to a genre
there is every style of electronic music
i think that it is safe to say by supporting electronic music you are not just supporting something you enjoy
you are also supporting something that is vital to the development of music ans mankind
tony
william jones wrote:
electronic music has changed everyone's life wheather they admit it or not.
it has changed the face of scoring and sound design
it has changed the studio
and has affected every form of entertainment
to say you don't like electronic music is as stupid as saying i don't like music
it is not bound to a genre
there is every style of electronic music
i think that it is safe to say by supporting electronic music you are not just supporting something you enjoy
you are also supporting something that is vital to the development of music ans mankind

Very true on all accounts - I believe
architeq
nothing to display
yrazvi
enigmamkp wrote:
I dont like electronic musics so real thins too much feeling.Electronik music is unnatural.

Dude! Listen to Amethystium and then feel the nature! Laughing
Octaeder
enigmamkp wrote:
Electronik music is unnatural.

That's not always the case though, it all depends on the themes that the music is trying to convey. Take the artist Susumu Yokota for example and his album The Boy and The Tree. That album was inspired jointly by his childhood and the anime Princess Mononoke. As a result it contains many themes to do with nature. Right from the first track there are sounds that relate to all elements of nature from animals to the wind and the sea, as well as the mark of humankind (lets not forget that however immersed in technology we are, we're still part of nature.)

Even electronic music that isn't directly trying to immitate nature can still have qualities that are in no way "unnatural". Take 'Boards of Canada" there music is heavily influenced by the theme of childhood and innocence, and the way they choose to convey it is in no way unnatural or alien to the listener, in fact it is quite the opposite and can draw you in with its nostalgic approach.
visitors
This is my little presentation of my electronic music, but I have better http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=232605

Also I like electronic music of musician Jean Michel Jarre the father of electrnic music.

Also good is

DJ Addison - Live @ This Summer Open Air 30.08.03

You must listen this DJ live set mix. Lenght 52 minutes.
starryeyed
i'm all about:
Nathan Fake
Matthew Dear
Black Strobe
Tiefschwarz
Andro
Seconds from nothing!!! (www.myspace.com/secondsfromnothingmusic)
Carl Craig
Miss Kittin
UNKLE
adrian
My favorite artist is Jean Michael Jarre. I've listened to many of his recordings, and I've really liked them. Although I also like Yanni's composition, Vangelis and Mike Oldfield, Jarre remains my favorite one.
happycycling
electronic music is my life. well a good part of it anyways.

air, boards of canada, cut copy, dj shadow, felix da housecat, fischerspooner, larry tee, the juan maclean, felix da housecat, miss kitten, junior senior, justice, lcd soundsystem, mogwai, mount sims, mylo, the octopus project, the hacker, golden boy, thievery corporation, ulrich schnauss, kruder & dorfmeister, royksopp, waldorf, zongamin and sigur ros
Boles Roor
Shocked

Damn, nobody mentioned bands like Front 424, VNV Nation, Tactical Sekt, Suicide Commando, Combichrist, Grendel, Deine Lakeien, Depeche Mode, Blutengel, Das Ich, Unternul and :wumpscut: and the like.
cjlargear
way to go guys....

i like aphex twin and stuff like that....

but i'm really into oldschool rave and oldish techno...

i also like minimal techno, house and mostly trance (old good psychedelic and goa)...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
<h1>
ive been into electronica for a while.
I really like trip-hop and acid-jazz..
Nething under Ninja Tunes label.
I also like jungle and drum n bass..
And not forgetting breakbeats..
Not really into my dance although I don't mind psy trance..
Infected Mushroom etc
Amon Tobin kicks all ass
Ducksteina
The only electornic music I listen to is The Prodigy. I'm more into Rock / Metal, but Prodigy sounds also good to me.