FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Memoirs of a Giesha (2006)

cnssc
Anyone seen it? I did -.- it was okay overall, more interesting then I thought lol. I was a bit confused though. I recommend you all to see it and tell us what you think.
thiamshui
saw the ad.. care to tell us wad's the movie about? Smile
jammin420s
Basically this movie is about a yourng girl who is taken from her small Japanese village. She is taken to a larger more populated city, where she will then be trained to become a Geisha. She goes through some wild misadventures and ends up being a great Geisha and getting what she really wants in the end. Overall it was fantastic, and well directed.
aidfarh
I've not seen the movie, and do not plan to in the near future. But one thing I'm wondering about, in the posters, the girl has blue eyes. Is that Zhang Ziyi? She's chinese, isn't she? so why does she have blue eyes? Or does the character have western blood in her? But isn't the heroin supposed to be Japanese? Or do some Japanese really have blue eyes?
sprinqles
Its based on a best selling book, which is also called, Memoirs of A Geisha. I suggest that you read the book before you watch the movie, that way you'll understand what the movie is about. Smile
monkeystravels
The book was better
pudovkin
I'm willing to see that because its cinematography work. At the trailer, it looks superb.
aerialdreams
aidfarh wrote:
I've not seen the movie, and do not plan to in the near future. But one thing I'm wondering about, in the posters, the girl has blue eyes. Is that Zhang Ziyi? She's chinese, isn't she? so why does she have blue eyes? Or does the character have western blood in her? But isn't the heroin supposed to be Japanese? Or do some Japanese really have blue eyes?

Yea, the girl is Zhang Ziyi, and yes, she is Chinese. The other rival is also a Chinese actress, but that's beside the point. The heroine of the story is only half Japanese, that's why she has blue eyes, so I'm guessing Zhang Ziyi used colored contacts!! Very Happy
michaelyazon
im excited to see the film... after watching Munich which was serious and action packed, i think i need to watch a film which produces a bit less stress and relaxing even. Zhang Zyi Yi is back with Michelle Yeoh and Crouching tiger was real great so it should be a nice film too!
sebascorre
I like the movie.
But I don't believe it is the kind of movie that I would like to see again and again.
pristine
aerialdreams wrote:
aidfarh wrote:

Yea, the girl is Zhang Ziyi, and yes, she is Chinese. The other rival is also a Chinese actress, but that's beside the point. The heroine of the story is only half Japanese, that's why she has blue eyes, so I'm guessing Zhang Ziyi used colored contacts!! Very Happy

i read the book and it was not bad. pretty interesting. sayuri (the geisha in question) has blue eyes because she got them from her mother, who supposedly has a lot of water in her character (something like horoscopes). i'm not sure whether sayuri is half-japanese, but i have never known an oriental with blue or green eyes. i'm of chinese, japanese and persian descent, but my eyes are brown.