FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpbb installation

Tony The Tiger
At step 12 of the phpBB - Installation Tutorial at http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-19192.html

12. Go to http://domain/forums/install/install.php is not working.

I have tried to use http://tonythetiger/forums/install/install.php , but it bounces to http://www.kelloggs.com/brand/ttt/flash.html .

When I try http://tonythetiger.frih.net/forums/install/install.php

I get "Not Found
The requested URL /forums/install/install.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "
n0obie4life
http://tonythetiger.frih.net/forums/install/install.php

Obviously you had to add the frih.net to it.

And you created your phpBB on http://tonythetiger.frih.net/forum/install/install.php

In the folder "forum" and not "forums".
Tony The Tiger
I still get this error when I hit install:

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
n0obie4life
..In the tutorial, you are told to replace the values with your OWN values. What did you create the mysql datdabase name/password/user as?

tonythet_phpbb
tonythet_forum

These are just examples. All your mySQL databases start with tonythet_
Tony The Tiger
I tried switching

Your Database Name: from phpbb to tonythet_phpbb
Database Username: from forum to tonythet_forum
Database Password: left as "password"
Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_ to tonythet_

Same error
n0obie4life
Did you even create your mySQL Database accordingly?

You must fill in the details for your mySQL database, that you created in Directadmin. The values in the tutorial are EXAMPLES.
Tony The Tiger
This is what it says in Direct Admin

Create new Database
phpMyAdmin
Advanced Search
Database Number of Users Download Backup Size Select
tonythet_phpb 1 Download 0.00 KB
Tony The Tiger
P.S. Am I suppose to substitute something for Database Server Hostname / DSN: "localhost"
n0obie4life
No, localhost is correct.

Look, the mySQL databse you made is called tonythet_phpb, so in database name you fill tonythet_phpb, then you fill in the user that you made, and the password for the user.
Tony The Tiger
I see. I typoed phpb instead of phpbb.

So I did that and when I clicked install I got a blank web page. Do I go on to the next step.
n0obie4life
Go back and key the data, it didn't successfully install.

If it tells you of a duplicate data thingy, delete the databse and re-create.
Tony The Tiger
I got this:

An error has occurred during installation
An error occurred trying to update the database
Table 'tonythet_auth_access' already exists

I am going to attempt to delete the database and try again.
Tony The Tiger
I deleted the tonythet_phpb database and created a tonythet_phpbb database. I attempted to install I first got a blank page. Then I got the duplicate thing. Then I realized I forgot to reset the 777. So I reset the 777 stuff. Then I attempted to install and got the duplicate thing again. I am going to go back delete the database. Then remember the 777 and then attempt to reinstall.

I have now deleted and reinstalled the database. I am attempting to set the permissions to 777. However, since I am not on a Unix system it keeps reverting back to the default settings even though I set them to 777. I keep getting the blank web page.

Do I need more in script path than /forum/
n0obie4life
Use your FTP program/Directadmin's Filemanager to CHMOD config.php to 777. It must work Smile. You do not need a UNIX system to CHMOD it to 777.
Tony The Tiger
n0obie4life wrote:
Use your FTP program/Directadmin's Filemanager to CHMOD config.php to 777. It must work Smile. You do not need a UNIX system to CHMOD it to 777.

Not quite sure what this means. I go to WS_FTP Pro. On one side is the Local System and the other is the Remote system. On the Remote System side, I right click on config.php. I go to CHMOD(unix). I change the permission (numeric value) to 777. Then, I click OK. When I reenter to check that the action worked it is reverted back to 644.
n0obie4life
Okay, go into Directadmin. Filemanager. Select public_html. Forums. Then check "config.php", then at the bottom, type 777.
Tony The Tiger
Apparently, that wasn't the problem because in my browser I can see the permissions are 777. Nonetheless, I still get the following errror when trying to install:

An error has occurred during installation
An error occurred trying to update the database
Table 'tonythet_auth_access' already exists
n0obie4life
Okay, screw that error. Il'l teach you another way.

Open up config.php

Fill it in with this

Code:
<?php

//
// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file
// Do not change anything in this file!
//

$dbms = "mysql";

$dbhost = "localhost";

$dbname = "dbnamehere";
$dbuser = "usernamehere";
$dbpasswd = "dbpasswordhere";
$table_prefix = "phpbb_";

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);

?>

Remember to replace the values.

$dbname = "dbnamehere";
matanco
thnx
Tony The Tiger
n0obie4life wrote:
Open up config.php

What does this mean? In WS_FTP Pro, when I right click config.php open is not an option.
Loathing in Fear
Go ro your DirectAdmin or cPanel, and open it Wink then, delete everything whats in there, and add the stuff NoObie told you.
Tony The Tiger
In Direct Admin, I am not sure what "open it" means.

What does open mean.

In MySQL Database, there is no config.php.
Should I go to Advanced Tools or FTP Menu?

?????
Tony The Tiger
O.K., I have figured out that I should probably be in file manager like one of the prior instructions. I am noticing that my config.php file is 0.0KB. This may have been the problem. I am going to make the changes to the file by choosing the edit option.
Tony The Tiger
O.K., so I have editted. config.php, reentered the installation page stuff, and gotten a blank page again upon hitting the install button.
n0obie4life
No. You already have the sql data in your database. Just fix your config.php manually by inserting the SQL data.

Code:
<?php

//
// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file
// Do not change anything in this file!
//

$dbms = "mysql";

$dbhost = "localhost";

$dbname = "dbnamehere";
$table_prefix = "phpbb_";

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);

?>

Change dbname (the stuff in the quotes) to your database name.
dbuser to database user
dbpasswd to the password.
Tony The Tiger
Hey Noobie,

Finally, I think I got it. Here is the message I recieved.

Your admin username has been created. At this point your basic installation is complete. You will now be taken to a screen which will allow you to administer your new installation. Please be sure to check the General Configuration details and make any required changes. Thank you for choosing phpBB 2.
Tony The Tiger
Noobie,

Then on the next page I got this message:

"Please ensure both the install/ and contrib/ directories are deleted."

This goes along with instruction 13:

13. CHMOD config.php to 644 and delete the "install" and "contrib" folders. @ http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-19192.html

Now, what do I do? 13 is the last instruction.
TheFaction
idk if you were saying that you have done that step but u had previoiusly changed the CHMOD of config.php to 777. now you wnt to put it back to 644 in the same manner you made it 777. and you just want to remove the install folder as well as the contrib folder and ull b good to go.

once again wasnt sure if u were saying that as if u had already done it.
Tony The Tiger
What do you mean by good to go. I already have a webpage. How do I add all the php stuff to it.
Hunterseaker
just make a link to it like:
http://yourusername.frih.net/forum then you dont need to insert the php in your site. just open that link or when you installed it in the phpbb2 folder you have to replace forum with phpbb2.
and when you realy want your forum in your site use a iframe.
do have any knowlege about websites and all that stuff?? how did you make your website if you cant install a forum?
but if you need help just pm me or add me on msn
Tony The Tiger
All I know is HTML. I have coded (or stolen code) for everything on my site. I will PM you further.
n0obie4life
@ Tony the Tiger.

Delete the install and contrib folders through FTP and CHMOD config.php back to 644.

Then your phpBB Installation is complete Wink
Tony The Tiger
I have done this and nothing has changed.
Tony The Tiger
I had a little problem because I had renamed my folder forum (phpbb2). I am now all set. I just have to figure out how to integrate index.php, index.html and main.html. Then I have to figure out how to add all the modules.