FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

bluetooth

KRONIC
can anyone tell me how bluetooth operates in a cell phone? i mean like when you connect to another cellphone their phone name stores in your phone to connect another time. but what i dont understand is like suppose for example two nokia 6230 connects to your phone at different times and you want to connect to one at a period in time, how does it know which nokia 6230 you are connecting to? does it use a different frequency?

please help me out here!!..lol

bluetooth is really cool though!!
jongoldsz
I think each bluetooth phone/device has a different name which your computer sees. I think it works like LAN. Each computer has a different MAC address even if they are the same.
seanooi
i got this from http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/bluetooth.htm. Not sure if this is what you want, but hope it helps.

Quote:

There are lots of different ways that electronic devices can connect to one another. For example:

* Component cables
    * Electrical wires
    * Ethernet cables
    * WiFi
    * Infrared signals

When you use computers, entertainment systems or telephones, the various pieces and parts of the systems make up a community of electronic devices. These devices communicate with each other using a variety of wires, cables, radio signals and infrared light beams, and an even greater variety of connectors, plugs and protocols.

The art of connecting things is becoming more and more complex every day. In this article, we will look at a method of connecting devices, called Bluetooth, that can streamline the process. A Bluetooth connection is wireless and automatic, and it has a number of interesting features that can simplify our daily lives
Very Happy
LandShark
^^ what he said helps alot. . .

your cell phone will have a censor in it, and if its in a certain area and configured to the phone, then it will just automatically connect to it, as if it was plugged in. I belive(not quite sure) that you have to do something to actually connect your blue tooth device to your phone, you just cant buy one and hope it works. . . This stuff confuses me too. You shouldnt worry about other people tapping into your conversasions, they think about stuff like that. It will work fine if you have a blue tooth capitable phone, and they know how to do all the stuff, so dont worry about it
KRONIC
my queries on bluetooth have been cleared up, by far.. thanks guys!!

bluetooth rules
Kael
KRONIC wrote:

bluetooth rules

Indeed. I remember when I got my bluetooth enabled phone. The first accessory I bought was my Bluetooth headset. Then I had to get a bllotooth enabled Palm just for the fun of it.
alkady
KRONIC wrote:
my queries on bluetooth have been cleared up, by far.. thanks guys!!

bluetooth rules

Sure does, Bluetooth is amazing, You can transfer things wirelessly to another bluetooth enable device. My Handheld, Laptop and computers are all Bluetooth enable and it costed me less than $10 to get those bluetooth adapters off ebay. It's freakin sweet. They obviously arent of great quality and are generic, But at $5.00 what can you expect and at such a low price I bought atleast 10 of them.
jongoldsz
Even though, bluetooth is awesome, its transfer speed is slow.
On the Motorolla RAZR, using the usb connector will take less time to transfer files than using bluetooth.
zombi3
i have been wondering about bluetooth for a long time. What exactly is it and what does it do?
ahlai
An open specification technology for short-range wireless voice/data communications
Originated by Ericsson in 1994 as a solution to cable replacement for inter-communicating devices.
Cables are commonly used to connect:
mobile phone and ear piece
laptop and printer
mobile phone and mobile phone
laptop and network access point
Bluetooth RF technology is
Short range (10m)
Low cost (targeted at US$5 per Bluetooth module)
Low power consumption (1mW)
enigmamkp
How Bluetooth Technology Works
Bluetooth wireless technology is a short-range communications system intended to replace the cables connecting portable and/or fixed electronic devices. The key features of Bluetooth wireless technology are robustness, low power, and low cost. Many features of the core specification are optional, allowing product differentiation.

The Bluetooth core system consists of an RF transceiver, baseband, and protocol stack. The system offers services that enable the connection of devices and the exchange of a variety of data classes between these devices.

Overview of Operation
The Bluetooth RF (physical layer) operates in the unlicensed ISM band at 2.4GHz. The system employs a frequency hop transceiver to combat interference and fading, and provides many FHSS carriers. RF operation uses a shaped, binary frequency modulation to minimize transceiver complexity. The symbol
rate is 1 Megasymbol per second (Msps) supporting the bit rate of 1 Megabit per second (Mbps) or, with Enhanced Data Rate, a gross air bit rate of 2 or 3Mb/s. These modes are known as Basic Rate and Enhanced Data Rate respectively.

During typical operation, a physical radio channel is shared by a group of devices that are synchronized to a common clock and frequency hopping pattern. One device provides the synchronization reference and is known as the master. All other devices are known as slaves. A group of devices synchronized in this fashion form a piconet. This is the fundamental form of communication for Bluetooth wireless technology.

Devices in a piconet use a specific frequency hopping pattern which is algorithmically determined by certain fields in the Bluetooth specification address and clock of the master. The basic hopping pattern is a pseudo-random ordering of the 79 frequencies in the ISM band. The hopping pattern may be adapted to exclude a portion of the frequencies that are used by interfering devices. The adaptive hopping technique improves Bluetooth technology co-existence with static (non-hopping) ISM systems when these are co-located.

The physical channel is sub-divided into time units known as slots. Data is transmitted between Bluetooth enabled devices in packets that are positioned in these slots. When circumstances permit, a number of consecutive slots may be allocated to a single packet. Frequency hopping takes place between the transmission or reception of packets. Bluetooth technology provides the effect of full duplex transmission through the use of a time-division duplex (TDD) scheme.

Above the physical channel there is a layering of links and channels and associated control protocols. The hierarchy of channels and links from the physical channel upwards is physical channel, physical link, logical transport, logical link and L2CAP channel.

Within a physical channel, a physical link is formed between any two devices that transmit packets in either direction between them. In a piconet physical channel there are restrictions on which devices may form a physical link. There is a physical link between each slave and the master. Physical links are not formed directly between the slaves in a piconet.

The physical link is used as a transport for one or more logical links that support unicast synchronous, asynchronous and isochronous traffic, and broadcast traffic. Traffic on logical links is multiplexed onto the physical link by occupying slots assigned by a scheduling function in the resource manager.

A control protocol for the baseband and physical layers is carried over logical links in addition to user data. This is the link manager protocol (LMP). Devices that are active in a piconet have a default asynchronous connection-oriented logical transport that is used to transport the LMP protocol signaling. For historical reasons this is known as the ACL logical transport. The default ACL logical transport is the one that is created whenever a device joins a piconet. Additional logical transports may be created to transport synchronous data streams when this is required.

The link manager function uses LMP to control the operation of devices in the piconet and provide services to manage the lower architectural layers (radio layer and baseband layer). The LMP protocol is only carried on the default ACL logical transport and the default broadcast logical transport.

Above the baseband layer the L2CAP layer provides a channel-based abstraction to applications and services. It carries out segmentation and reassembly of application data and multiplexing and de-multiplexing of multiple channels over a shared logical link. L2CAP has a protocol control channel that is carried over the default ACL logical transport. Application data submitted to the L2CAP protocol may be carried on any logical link that supports the L2CAP protocol.
Bluetooth Technology
The foundation of Bluetooth wireless technology is composed of the adopted specifications that are utilized and developed by the Bluetooth SIG’s global membership as guidelines for producing interoperable products. The Bluetooth specifications are categorized as the core specification, profiles, protocols, and transports.

The Bluetooth core specification describes the protocol stack up through the L2CAP layer and the characteristics of each of the relevant protocols, as well as the relationship between them.

Above the Bluetooth core specification are a set of protocols that have been defined for use by one or more profiles.

Profile specifications define a set of features required to support a particular usage model or set of usage models. A profile specification document describes how to use the protocol stack to implement a given profile.

Transport specifications define physical interfaces that can be used to implement the Host Controller Interface (HCI). The HCI transports are used in products that choose to separate the implementation of the Host and Controller functions.
tschris
ok i got a samsung d500 and i wanna use my cell to connect it threw bluetooth with my pc and then surf with GPRS is it possible? if yes how?
Richous05
ive got an orange smartphone using bluetooth and my pc has a bluetooth dogle too its really fun i can use my braoband on my phone for free using passthrough connection.
soulman
enigmamkp wrote:
How Bluetooth Technology Works

wow, thanks, I really dont know how exactly bluetooth works...

this article is helpful...
ainieas
tschris wrote:
ok i got a samsung d500 and i wanna use my cell to connect it threw bluetooth with my pc and then surf with GPRS is it possible? if yes how?

Actully if you connect your cell to PC and your PC has an online conection you can surf the net without GPRS. I've done that loads of times with my N-Gage.
Richous05
ainieas wrote:
tschris wrote:

Actully if you connect your cell to PC and your PC has an online conection you can surf the net without GPRS. I've done that loads of times with my N-Gage.

Yes as i said before this is called a passthrough connection.
LG-2
KRONIC wrote:
can anyone tell me how bluetooth operates in a cell phone? i mean like when you connect to another cellphone their phone name stores in your phone to connect another time. but what i dont understand is like suppose for example two nokia 6230 connects to your phone at different times and you want to connect to one at a period in time, how does it know which nokia 6230 you are connecting to? does it use a different frequency?

please help me out here!!..lol

bluetooth is really cool though!!

What is Bluetooth wireless technology? How does it work? The answers to all your questions are here in varying levels of detail to meet everyone’s needs. The information ranges from high-level overviews of the short-range wireless technology to detailed specification documents

Read about Bluetooth technology benefits to the consumer as well as the enterprise. Better understand how Bluetooth technology works. Compare Bluetooth wireless technology to other similar short-range wireless technologies. Dig deeper into the specifications to fully comprehend the various levels of Bluetooth technology from the baseband to profile and application levels.
WinterSun
thanks for the article enigmamkp. very helpful... u just google it? Laughing
David_Pardy
Did you know that 2.4ghz is the resonant frequency of water and that microwave ovens cook food by producing that frequency?

Just thought I'd like to screw with the minds of the paranoid amongst us Wink.
embrace.guild
I dont care how it works, but it works good. I have a motorola razr and i have a bluetooth headset for it and it works great. I may look sort of stupid, but i can consentrate on other things while i do it. I dont often drive while talking on the phone(just two thing sthat dont go together) but i do like working with it on, because i can type or do something better than holding a phone. If i were you i would get one
letianer
it's my first time heard about bluetooth. it sounds cool, i may get one and try it one.
Platform
I don't understand why almost no one uses Bluetooth 2.0 EDR+

It is so much better, a the range is improved a lot.

iPods
Phones etc could all use it.
Richous05
Platform wrote:
I don't understand why almost no one uses Bluetooth 2.0 EDR+

It is so much better, a the range is improved a lot.

iPods
Phones etc could all use it.

To be honest ive never herd of it. I usually here most news about electronics but i can say ive nenevr herd of this EDR+ you speak of.
vignesh_natraj
each phone has a unique id generated by the software so no two phones are the same
Vrythramax
David_Pardy wrote:
Did you know that 2.4ghz is the resonant frequency of water and that microwave ovens cook food by producing that frequency?

Just thought I'd like to screw with the minds of the paranoid amongst us Wink.

You should get extra points just for that Very Happy
activate
Okay, you can use bluetooth to send pictures, ringtones, videos etc to one and other, there is probably a sub heading in your nokia to put it on. It's a lot like IRDA (infared). To send something by bluetooth you go to send by bluetooth and then it will search for other bluetooth-capable devices within the range. You will see your friends device by the name he set it as. You click that name and it will send (usually takes up to 1 minute).
CompactHaven
WARNING!
The most common mistake that people (over the age of thirty, hicks, and low level buisness men who want to feel important) make is using blue tooth devices in public.

It's cool to use in your car, but if you use it around other people;
It's tacky as heck,
It always looks like your talking to yourself. Most people don't want to walk around looking like lunatics. Laughing
You Hypocrites
blue tooth is a radio transmitter like your phone... so prolonged exposure to your headset isn't much safer