FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Corrupted video file

Josso
I took this WMV off my camcorder and it's been corrupted ever since I took it off (and not it's not still on there). It plays fine and you can see and hear everything it just says it's corrupted when I import it into video editing software. The only other strange thing about it is that the bar does not go across as it plays in windows media player.

Any suggestions?
Animal
This usually happens if the file is "incomplete" - you might find that you can't fast-forward the file either. All I can suggest is that you try importing it to another video-editing program. If that doesn't work, try converting it to a high-quality DivX file or alternative format then use that with your preferred video editing software. You'll lose quality, but at least you'll be able to use the file.

If it's possible to do so, I'd suggest you steer clear of the wmv format - it has issues with incomplete files as you've found out, but since it's a proprietary format (eg. it's owned by Microsoft) it isn't as widely supported as other formats and therefore you are more likely to encounter compatibility issues.
Kydha
As Animal said,

You should try to put your .WMV in a DIVX or Xvid format or whatever kind of re encoded format. Once done you should have acces of all the suff you couldn't.
virtualpointer
I think that your current mediaplayer doesn't recognize this format because it is an old version. If you upgrade your current media player, it might recognize it.

If it still keeps like that, convert the file format.