FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question: Answers please.

Scotty Too Hotty
i do dearly hope that i do no offend anyone with this question but i do not belive that i will.

Ok so here is a hypothetical situation that i though of while bored at work one day.

so here it is.

A set of siamese twins, joined at the back that share a heart that are 30ish years okd. They cannot be separated as they share a heart. One is smaller than the other and is carried on his back basically. Since the smaller one does not walk ever he has not developped muscle toning and cannot walk as a result. His "BIG BROTHER" deicdes to rob a liquir store. And obviously the smaller one has no choicce but to go along, how do the courts punish the other twin?

COmments please.
orno
interesting question but i dont think the court CAN punish the younger twin..... but hmm.... if we go into technicalities of the law who knows!

any actual lawyers here who can comment on this?
gonzo
Scotty Too Hotty wrote:
how do the courts punish the other twin?

What crime has he committed?
the_mariska
he'd be innocent, right? I guess he wouldn't be punished, but I've heard about such incredibly unfair judgements that anything is possible..
tidruG
There is no choice but to punish the "bigger" brother for robbing the store. There is also no choice but to send the "smaller" one along since they cannot be separated.

There are 2 posts asking what crime the smaller twin has commited... and since he hasn't commited any, he should not be punished, yet both the threads failed to give a solution...

In my opinion, there is no choice but to send the twins to jail... because unless they are punished, the bigger twin will continue to take advantage of his little brother and keep robbing/looting.

Anyway I see it, it appears that the little brother is more or less physically disabled/paralysed, so there's not much he can do anyway, except perhaps talk, etc etc.

Though this is an extremely difficult situation for which to post a good answer, I posted an answer as a resort to find at least some solution to this dilemma.
adwya
gonzo wrote:
Scotty Too Hotty wrote:
how do the courts punish the other twin?

What crime has he committed?

yes

what crime????has he committed Laughing
byt
well assuming they are sent to jail then consider this, the bigger brother along with a couple of other inmates cause a riot, the other inmates are put in solitary confinement, how can the jail put the bigger brother into solitary?

What if the big brother committed a ruthless murder normally punishable by death?

I think the courts would have to be very careful as it must not interfere with the smaller brothers human rights
Blaster
I have two answers

1st They could pay the younger brother some money.

2nd They could put them in something where the younger brother gets better treatment then the older brother. Like better food and what not.
Jeslyn
Altered double jepardy. The younger twin gets sent to prison as long as his "older brother", when they get out, the younger twin gets to rob a liquor store and get away with it. Wink
Airfrorfria
mindboggling i have to give that some thought good job on that one
jaysen
the verdict is... guilty by association...... The twin is still an accessory to the crime. Im not saying thats right, but that is how the law looks at it. Same thing goes if you and your friend are walking uptown and he suddenly decides to do something illegal.... You can be charged as an accessory even though you didn't participate in the crime itself.
Scotty Too Hotty
all very good answers, and i do not have one myself, Like i said, the smaller twin hasnt committed a crime but he has no choice but to follow through with his older brothers desires. He has never committed the felony.

My original question should have said, how do they punish the bigger brother.

BYT, you also bring up a good point, what if it was punishable by death. Lethal injection would kill both of them, and in most courts, accessories to murders do not get the death penalty.
riv_
Scotty Too Hotty wrote:
...Ok so here is a hypothetical situation that i though of while bored at work one day...
COmments please.

Where do you work, anyways?
That is some serious boredom!
WebSiteGuru
riv_ wrote:
Scotty Too Hotty wrote:
...Ok so here is a hypothetical situation that i though of while bored at work one day...
COmments please.

Where do you work, anyways?
That is some serious boredom!

Laughing I agreed. That is a serious bordom. I never get that bored to begins with.
igor123d
How in the world did you come up with this question? LOL It is tough to answer it. First I cannot viusalize how the robbery were to take place (a robber with another man on his back???). But one of the men were sentenced I don't see a way for the other not to be exempted (as separation is impossible). WHo knows.
xorcist
Blaster wrote:
I have two answers

1st They could pay the younger brother some money.

2nd They could put them in something where the younger brother gets better treatment then the older brother. Like better food and what not.

Ya the secound one will be good but the first one why would they pay the younger brother some money just because his older brother robbed the store.
SunburnedCactus
Do you think a lawsuit would hold up in court? He could claim against himself for mental anguish.
horseatingweeds
This isn't such a hard question. Not if you ignore all the unusual part of cruel and unusual punishment. A series of electrodes would be planted in the larger brother’s body and an operation would be performed on his brain to make him docile, mellow and obedient. Then the smaller brother would be charged with the responsibility of supervising his larger brothers activities and would be paid a wage by the state. In the event that a correction would be necessary, the younger brother would have access to the control to the electrodes in order to administer a shock. The electric shock would only need to be a very mild one from internal electrodes so it would not be painful for the smaller brother or harmful.
riv_
horseatingweeds,
great answer Laughing very funny!
But I must say, i'm glad you're not in charge!
Blaster
Great answer horseatingweeds. Sounds like a scifi to me.

Lets hope no one ever has to go through that.
letianer
this is difficult for judge to make a descision. but if i am the judge i will send the twins to some special care facility .
lyndonray
ok i don't know if flogging is allowed that side, but it sure is here!!! and that would be a simple solution to the problem: flog the twin who came up the bright idea of stealing liquor. Normally people are flogged on the back, but since these two poor souls are joined at the back the one who committed the crime could be lashed on the chest or stomach!! However, that might not work if the other twin also feels the pain from the lashes or is accidentally lashed, himself. But apart from that I can't think of any other punishment that wouldn't affect the innocent one.
Lennon
Connective Guilt (excuse the pun) Very Happy
deMij
i think they would give him an alternative punishment..
it must be impossible to give only one a punishment so mja
Scotty Too Hotty
Where do i work. I am management at a call center. Lets just say that i was having an off day lol, and well, i started thinking. In fact i asked my boss. He couldnt come up with anything other than House arrest but that is still punishing an innocent. Unless you go with the Guilty by assosciasion deal. In which case both should be hanged.