FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ethical Hypothetical

Does a clone have a soul?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
I don't belive in souls
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Ikonoklast
Here's the situation:

An evil man wants to dissect your brain for one reason or another. Now being an evil genius, he knows that you probably won't give your brain willingly so he offers you this deal. Give him a sample of your dna and let him clone you and disect the clone. Everyone gets what they want, you are not killed, the evil genius has his brain. Do you give him the sample to leave you alone?
Scotty Too Hotty
well i have to comment on this that there is not enough information to make a true vote. Is there anyway to prove that anyone has a sole? Not really. So what makes somethign have a soul? That it is living? THat is can think on its own?
How do you classify living. Can it love? Can it taste? Does it remeber? Does it have thoughts? Does it rember your past? Does it have values?

So many variables.
Bondings
Actually, a clone is like a younger twin brother/sister of you. The only thing it will have in common with you is your face/body, but it will have a completely different personality.
tidruG
It depends on what you mean when you say "soul".
If by soul you mean the personality that shapes us, drives us, and makes us exactly what we are, controls our though-process, psyche, etc, etc... then, yes, a clone will have a soul (as does any living thing), but it will not be the same as yours, because what Bondings wrote is true... while your clone will physically resemble you, it may not have anything to do with your personality, and be completely opposite to what you are.

If by soul you mean the driving force that keeps us alive, then again the answer would be "yes"... because a clone is alive.
tim_s
Where did the question come from? Did you make it up or read it somewhere?

bondings - how do you know that a clone would have a different personality? Do identical twins have the same DNA? I just looked very briefly on google and they might, but I can't be bothered to look one way or the other.

It sounds a lot like a philosophical argument in the field of philosophy of mind. If the clone had a soul, which it might, then it would be as unethical as giving away someone else so you could live. By 'have a soul' I mean the thing that makes us us, differentiates us from animals etc. I am assuming the difference between a living human and an animal, or the difference between a living human and a brain dead accident victim who's life support machine is turned off is what determines whether it would be ethical or not.

I saw that film with Euan Mcgregor and hmmm what's her name, Scarlett Johannsen, I can't remember what it was called, but it raised some interesting questions about clones, until it went off the rails and turned into a regular sci fi action chase film.
Scaramanga
tim_s wrote:
bondings - how do you know that a clone would have a different personality? Do identical twins have the same DNA? I just looked very briefly on google and they might, but I can't be bothered to look one way or the other.

DNA has very little to do with personality. Sure you might be more predisposed towards something, but upbringing and environment will have a bigger impact on personality than DNA does. Heck even IF your clone was raised as close to or exactly the way you were I imagine s/he would still have a startlingly different personality.
bassgs_17
Clones... Muwahahaha! I already have 8 clones, but I have yet to examine their brains... -_-'
-Aquastrike
Sonox
No!!! they dont!
That mean that Brad Pitt doesnt have a soul Very Happy