FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

/.exe Virus

Panthrowzay
This ist the name of the file as found by AVG and it has about 1kb of information in it i have looked at the files content after vaulting it up but it keeps coming back its like a freaking zombie man! Its not normal data it has no file name it is just a application, with no name that floats around in my system32 folder. does any on know what it is!
thiamshui
I doubt it's a useful file needed by Windows.. Maybe you can try deleting it in Safe Mode or MSDOS (if you are using Win98)..
gonzo
dot: show hidden files
virtualpointer
[quote="Panthrowzay"]This ist the name of the file as found by AVG and it has about 1kb of information in it i have looked at the files content after vaulting it up but it keeps coming back its like a freaking zombie man! Its not normal data it has no file name it is just a application, with no name that floats around in my system32 folder. does any on know what it is![/quote]

Sometimes AVG put some system file in the suspecious list. Really do not know if it is a temp system file. If not, it must be generated by a virus file, however, it is too hard to find it. Maybe you have to wait for upgrading of your AVG or try to use other virus scanning programs.

Damn Windows OS!
johanfh
I its popping up like a zombie Laughing don't just delete it!
First check your windowsregistry (don't mess with the registry if you don't know what you're doing!) to check if something's linked to your .exe executables.
Check this first, because if you simply delete the virus, there is a possibility you can't run any .exefile anymore, because they are linked to the (non-existing) virus...
Success!
JohanFH
ocalhoun
Format and Re-Install.
DVNT
Hi
I don't think that you really have to format your drive just yet. First try disabling Windows system restore and then restart your computer in safe mode and delete the sucker.
If you are unsure wether it might be a neccesary file then don't delete it but rename it and move it to a different folder, or better yet to a floppy,etc.. That way if you have any problems you can always restore it.
Of course it is always great to re-install and start from a fresh sparky computer.
dvnt