FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So I'm pretty new at this whole website thing

howradcomix
Really, the only other sites I've ever made were on geocities or angelfire when I was, like, ten. I would really like some suggestions on what I could do with my whole webcomic thingy. Smile I mean, I just want some basic buttons (first, previous, next, last, archive, news, etc.)

I mean, I've seen some .frihost sites, and they're really pretty. They look almost professional. I was just wondering what would be a good starting place. Also: what would be a good type of background? I want something simple, but pretty. (I was going to put simple but elegant, but that just sounds so cliche)

I mean, if you look at the webcomics already up, like QC (my favorite one), it's just a simple gray background with the buttons, et cetera on it. So if you all have any suggestions on how I can make my site professional looking without having to do too much work and maitenence on it, that would be much appreciated. Smile

Thanks in advance!

[KtG]
sprinqles
I would always recommend Lissa Explains It All HTML because its the easiest way to learn and brush up on your HTML skills. Smile

Link- www.lissaexplains.com
jeffsolodky
I think s/he (I can't tell, your name is HowardComix, so I suspect male, but you say pretty to damn much to be masculine) means is to create a flash site. I am not sure about webcomics, but if you want a real easy tutorial about creating a flash site (I used it and it was very helpful), then just go here: http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/The-Complete-Tutorial-on-How-to-Build-a-100%25-Flash-Site-in-Flash-MX/10331
anhstar
You can use various tools to make such website. Flash, CMS = Content Management System, Frontpage or WYSIWYG programs, etc. You just need to find the right program and learn how to use it. I would recommand some WYSIWYG like frontpage, dreamweaver since they are pretty easy to use.
riv
jeffsolodky wrote:
I think s/he (I can't tell, your name is HowardComix, so I suspect male, but you say pretty to damn much to be masculine) means is to create a flash site. I am not sure about webcomics, but if you want a real easy tutorial about creating a flash site (I used it and it was very helpful), then just go here: http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/The-Complete-Tutorial-on-How-to-Build-a-100%25-Flash-Site-in-Flash-MX/10331

I think his/her name is How Rad Comix, and designing a flash site might be going a bit overboard. But I don't really know all that much about coding so I may be wrong. Can't he/she just make a website using HTML and the CMS thing?
baldheadedgames
[quote=riv]I think his/her name is How Rad Comix, and designing a flash site might be going a bit overboard. But I don't really know all that much about coding so I may be wrong. Can't he/she just make a website using HTML and the CMS thing?[/quote]

Acutally, creating a flash site is easer for me, but not everyone likes or has flash on their computer, so I stick to HTML, both are good formats for delivering content like comics, I'd advice making a template on photoshop or another graphics utility and then cutting it to pieces and saving them separately and using that as your webpage, either by assembling them with a WYSIWYG or by HTML or by Flash or any other way that you would like. Very Happy
immoralist
I've been designing websites now for quite some time and my top tip is to get to grips with a good image application before you even think about turning it into HTML. Everything I do is mocked up in PhotoShop before I start on my web editor (Homesite by choice).

By using a programme like PhotoShop you can work out all the design elements (background colours, buttons etc.) as well as the basic page layout (i.e. where everything goes and how many pixels you give it). Once you have a ood image you can then just crop off all your graphics and save them as individual files. This way round really works and is much faster than starting with a web editor and then trying to create visual elements to fit.
engeland
immoralist wrote:
I've been designing websites now for quite some time and my top tip is to get to grips with a good image application before you even think about turning it into HTML. Everything I do is mocked up in PhotoShop before I start on my web editor (Homesite by choice).

By using a programme like PhotoShop you can work out all the design elements (background colours, buttons etc.) as well as the basic page layout (i.e. where everything goes and how many pixels you give it). Once you have a ood image you can then just crop off all your graphics and save them as individual files. This way round really works and is much faster than starting with a web editor and then trying to create visual elements to fit.

that's exactly what i do to. Your site will look more professional if you start with photoshop. But those who are really skilled with coding might just skip the photoshop part and go straight to notepad. these people are GOOOD.lol