FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game Maker

pakar-club
Have you ever wanted to be able to design computer games, but didn't want to spend countless hours learning how to become a programmer? Then you've come to the right place. Game Maker is a program that allows you to make exciting computer games, without the need to write a single line of code. Making games with Game Maker is a lot of fun. Using easy to learn drag-and-drop actions, you can create professional looking games within very little time.

You can make games with backgrounds, animated graphics, music and sound effects, and even 3d games! And when you've become more experienced, there is a built-in programming language, which gives you the full flexibility of creating games with Game Maker. What is best, is the fact that Game Maker can be used free of charge.

You can do anything you want with the games you produce, you can even sell them! Also, if you register your copy of Game Maker, you can unlock extra functions, which extend the capabilities of the program.

Game Maker comes preloaded, with a collection of freeware images and sounds to get you started; there are also a number of games to help you out. Here you see a picture of the interface. [url](Click the image to enlarge.)
[/url]
http://www.gamemaker.nl/images/interface.jpg[url][/url]
pakar-club
RDB v1.6.014 posted

Another update for the 1.6 RDB posted to Downloads > Updates, sorry about the several month delay, you'll understand we've been busy and 1.7 work takes priority now. Stopped the "BETA n" naming because a look at the download stats shows too many users of 1.6 are not getting the update. So I hope this encourages more people to update their RDB. (The other thing is we want to avoid confusion with 1.7 beta components). Why don't we repack the 1.6 release now? Several reasons, bandwidth and bureaucracy being the biggest :p RDB comes with GameFAQ (access from app Help menu) that we strongly encourage all to use.

RDB_WhatsNew is in the zip, if there's any major mistakes will try to follow up soon, otherwise, this should be coming to the end of what we can do with 1.6. Which is good, as it's difficult to track compat. for different versions! I must give special mention to Nekokabu for getting several games to work that "shouldn't" work in 1.6, using asm hacks - we aim to fix properly for 1.7 of course, some of these games already are - but, because we're nice, enjoy what you can play now! If you're interested in supporting Project64, then please consider a donation and you'll be able to see what's really happening, in the binaries. We already have some very dedicated testers onboard, thanks & you know who you are Smile

Also been posting Language pack updates for 1.6 on the same page, but won't make news for each, so get them for people who need them.

Those who do look at the RDB changelog, will see the N64 isn't as dead as it's supposed to be Wink (do *not* ask us where to get ROMs, as always, sorry).

(update 2005-11-12)
Update to v1.6.015, fixed a couple of nasty bugs. Apologies to anyone who lost an F-Zero save, we've added a nice one to the site, hope this makes up for it a bit Smile (weird and unique bug i think). Please do give feedback for the RDB, we rely on users for spotting some things.

http://www.pj64.net/main/download/func,select/id,7/
Wd_removed
I've used this before.. Its good, if you actually want to make a game.

It mainly makes 2D rpgs I seem to remember.
eliasr
you might think that this is a bad question, cuased by that google would be one answer. by why haven't you made a link to the program, im sure i can find it on google, but it would be nice with the right version. just at tip, it sounds interesting.

-eliasr
Squeeky
I made a short tutorial for Game Maker a while ago...http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16151&highlight=. It is a great program but can get a bit boring and the games arnt the best, but easier than flash!
cokdes
RPG MAKER is also good to make simple RPG
LostOverThere
GameMaker is way better then RPG Maker. Wink

I'm currently making a 3D FPS with it. Smile
Yjaxygames
pakar-club wrote:
Have you ever wanted to be able to design computer games, but didn't want to spend countless hours learning how to become a programmer? Then you've come to the right place. Game Maker is a program that allows you to make exciting computer games, without the need to write a single line of code. Making games with Game Maker is a lot of fun. Using easy to learn drag-and-drop actions, you can create professional looking games within very little time.

You can make games with backgrounds, animated graphics, music and sound effects, and even 3d games! And when you've become more experienced, there is a built-in programming language, which gives you the full flexibility of creating games with Game Maker. What is best, is the fact that Game Maker can be used free of charge.

You can do anything you want with the games you produce, you can even sell them! Also, if you register your copy of Game Maker, you can unlock extra functions, which extend the capabilities of the program.

Game Maker comes preloaded, with a collection of freeware images and sounds to get you started; there are also a number of games to help you out. Here you see a picture of the interface. [url](Click the image to enlarge.)
[/url]
http://www.gamemaker.nl/images/interface.jpg[url][/url]

You've copied that piece of text from the gamemaker site!!! I use Game Maker too. It's awesome.

LostOverThere wrote:
GameMaker is way better then RPG Maker.

Yes it is!!! Smile
Sqeeky wrote:

I made a short tutorial for Game Maker a while ago...http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16151&highlight=. It is a great program but can get a bit boring and the games arnt the best, but easier than flash!

If you are an experienced user of GameMaker, you can make very good games. I know enough games that are made with GameMaker, that are very good. And some people even sell their games that are made with GameMaker, and people are buying those games too. So I think GameMaker can make very good games.
Hanpusu-kun
IM have made quite a few RPG's in RPG Maker 2k3.
It rocks.
Now I wanna have RPG Maker XP >___<
odinstag
I currently have Game Maker 6. Very fun tool to learn about how games are put together and what it takes to make them fun and interesting.

The utility has a bunch of fun tools that you can use to make almost any type of game you can imagine.

I have the regestered version. So I have access to all the really fun tools like the particle emmiters and other cool effects.
lockwolf
Learn C++ and make your own game engines. Or even better! Take a game that has been released under the GPL (Such as Quake III, Arena) and make your own game with it! Come on people, you can't truely make a good game that people will play using Game Maker or RPG maker.
Revvion
Game maker is easy and fun, but if you really want to get the best out of it you need to learn gmc (game maker code). withs I think is boring, it isn't that hard but game maker still has a lot of limitations. I think the best new feature is that 3d games are now posible.
Yjaxygames
Revvion wrote:
Game maker is easy and fun, but if you really want to get the best out of it you need to learn gmc (game maker code). withs I think is boring, it isn't that hard but game maker still has a lot of limitations. I think the best new feature is that 3d games are now posible.

The gamemaker code is called GML (GameMakerLanguage) and 3D games were already possible to make.
kansloos
You can't insert 3D-Models in gamemaker, if I remember well.
Only 2D sprite monster like the old DOS games...
Yjaxygames
kansloos wrote:

I haven't made a 3D game with GameMaker, but I think you're right.
Blaster
This kid I know made some game with it. Everything on http://www.rinkinated.net/wordpress/?p=109 except for the RPG was made with game maker.
LostOverThere
kansloos wrote:

Yes you can, there are programs you can get in the forum to convert 3d models intoa GM-like 3d image.

lockwolf wrote:
Learn C++ and make your own game engines.

You can do that same thing in GM.
Technaut
i use RPG Toolkit. used to be commercial, but the new version is freeware. supports everything that gamemaker does, and more. i like the plugin that allows you to put flash in your games.
rightclickscott
I showed Game Maker to the guys over at Helix Digital Entertainment and they loved it. Their currently doing a side scroller shooter which they've codenamed "Area 52," and now I have to spend all my time spell checking their little mistakes.
deathrabbit
This may be OK for people who don't know much about computers and programming, but it is horribly inefficient with hugly bloated filesizes.
Kelcey
deathrabbit wrote:
This may be OK for people who don't know much about computers and programming, but it is horribly inefficient with hugly bloated filesizes.

Exactly... considering you haven't coded it either, the algorithms present are too general if you want to make something push the envelope.
Technaut
i bought a lisence, and i wish now that i hadn't. the coding isn't flexable enough. most prebuilt game engines have a language that you have to learn to code games, but they allow you great control over everything. game maker dosn't have that. i guess it is ok for making an arcade games, but thats about it.
Gieter
LostOverThere wrote:

lockwolf wrote:
Learn C++ and make your own game engines.

You can do that same thing in GM.

Mmm, when I installed it there was no option to make a game engine. Have you any idea what a game engine is? I agree with lockwolf on this, you better should start learning C++, it can be a tedious process, but in return you get so much (mmm, the control!)
Technaut
Gieter wrote:
Mmm, when I installed it there was no option to make a game engine. Have you any idea what a game engine is? I agree with lockwolf on this, you better should start learning C++, it can be a tedious process, but in return you get so much (mmm, the control!)

agreed! control is everything when making software.
hcjgh
Game maker is one of the best programs for making games with no or little programmer skils!

Its really easy to use but it has its flaws!! It is limited to some extend but if you are talented you can create good games.

Everyone who wants to make games but doesnt have skils of programmer it is a program for you!!!
pefaja
to me, it's too simple for making games.
You can't make real games, only some kind-of-pac-man-games.
Yjaxygames
pefaja wrote:
to me, it's too simple for making games.
You can't make real games, only some kind-of-pac-man-games.

That's not true! You can download the evidence yourself at these sites(and many more BTW):

www.vertigogaming.net
www.shawn64.com
www.damagedgames.com
www.gamemakergames.com
Pyxel
Game Maker is a powerfull tool that can be used to make some amazing retry style creations.

Check out the link in my signature, it is a Metroid based fangame called Metroid Dreadscape. The engine is practically a flawless Fusion style remake. It used Game Maker codeing (GML) and some scripting.

I belive that I will be using Game Maker for years to come, alongside C++.

I recomend it for anybody wanting to create their own games.

EDIT:

And to the people who dont think that Game Maker can create a good game engine, think again. Using GML you can create a very stable and flawless engine. And you can link in other coding languages, like C++ and Java. You can also use DLL's .. the list goes on ...
Billwaa
I just learn how to print stuffs out in GM, it's very powerful, I will say unlimit tools since it support DLL too.
Technaut
all i know is it makes it easy to rip graphics from other games. Laughing three cheers for gamemaker! i didn't think i'd ever be able to get a nice, animated avatar from continuum. but i just warm up gamemaker, load in the strips, and presto! too easy.
william
Game Maker is a great program for beginners and is also great for professionals. I know some programming, but I didn't want to spend hours writing it. With Game Maker, I was able to make a game in under 15 minutes! The best part about Game Maker is that it doesn't even cost you a single penny! I went to download.com looking for something nice to create games. Game Maker was clearly the best. Also, 3D games, for FREE! As computers become more powerful, 3D games become hotter. Game Maker allows you to create your own 3D games! Of course, it's not like the games large companies make. In conclusion, Game Maker is a great tool for beginners and professionals, and it won't cost you a single penny!
lache92
hmmm...this looks cool.I made a few games whith "the games factory"(I'm working at 1 right now actualy)and I will probably try this program soon and tell you if it's better then tgf.Does anybodey knows any good site with tutorialsfor games maker?
ashik
The manual file on Game Maker site is more than enough. It has an extensive documentation dealing with everything right from the interface to advanced coding in GML.
http://www.gamemaker.nl/doc.html
However if you want tutorials specifically, check out http://www.gamemaker.nl/tutorial.html
ashik
Game Maker is cool and free, and maybe in my opinion, the best choice for a beginner game programmer. But it also has a lot of limitations, especially with the physics. There are plugins to give in physics in Game Maker, but I don't know how reliable thay are, I havn't tried them out yet.
I started game programming in GM, and it is pretty cool once you get the hang of it. But now, I have found another tool, Game - Editor. It is a freeware and has all the features in the demo, but you will have to register if you have to make your game commercial. Also game-editor is cross platform. The windows demo is a 30 day trial, but the linux version is available free of cost without a trial period.
I haven't tried this one yet, but it has a more professional looking interface.
http://www.game-editor.com/