FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Car Audio

Northgatebaseball
I was wondering if any one here is interested in Car Audio. I have installed many systems for friends and family. If anyone here has upgraded their car audio, what have you installed. Have you gotten a shop to install everything for you, or have you done it yourself? Do you go to competitions, or just for your own listening pleasure?
tsylvest
I love car audio. I have the majority of my system in now. Here are the current specs...

-Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P4400 CD Player
-Components - Infinity Kappa 60.5cs
-Amp #1 - Infinity Reference 7520a
-Rear Speakers- Eclipse 8051 5 1/4"
-Subwoofers - 2 12" Resonant Engineering SE
-Amp #2 - Orion 1200D

I just installed the subs a few weeks ago. I do all the work myself, with the help of friends. I like learning new things, and I hate to pay a shop for something I can do myself. If you want to see pictures and more info about my car, check out my cardomain site...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/635067/

Feel free to leave a comment.
Srs2388
I LOVE all audio not just car audio
I helped my friend hook all his stuff up
he had like 2 15's
and a thousand watt amp
(dont remember the amps name brand)
the speakers were MTX
after I hooked it all up we went riding and got stopped for loud music
so.... yeah car audio RULES Very Happy
schumway
I have not installed my car audio yet... I am working on this car and I hope within a couple of years I will be ready... i think I will drive it for a year once complete before putting a stereo in it as it has been sitting for a few years so if I know it is up and going and working fine then the following year I will likely use it more
Wotac
I like car audio very much too. I'd like to upgrade my cars audio but it's not cheap. Fortunately it has quite good audio system even now. My car is Citroën Xantia -95. If I buy something for it, it will be bass.
stiffler
I have done a lot of car audio installs, for myself and friends/family. I like it, its fun, and I can usually get a dinner out of it for installing something for a friend Razz I've never had a shop do my work, I taught myself back in High School when I got my first car, and it just went from there. The occasional custom box, cutouts for new speakers, etc...its a lot of un.
DJHicks
i ALWAYS install systems myself!

the only way to properly install a system is to plan the whole lot out, from the equipment u want and go get it to the routes the wires are gonna take, then take a week off work... and strip the car right down, or at least the front seats!

make sure the powerlines run down the car as far away from the audio lines! even to the point were i have had no choice but to run some audio cables up and along the roof and back down into the boot, because some idiots when they installed some after market devices such as old style satnav's, with a big black box in the boot (ah the good old days haha)

i suppose the 1st thing i do is find a place to hide some secret switches...

for like neons n all the fancy stuff i have like the cheap alarm i purchase but connect a small fog machine too... so after 35 seconds of the alarm goin off the car fills with smoke haha!
David_Pardy
That smoke machine idea is fantastic! It'd be fun to test it out after installing it, put some strobes in the car, get the music going, haha!

I've done all my own audio work in my car. It's fairly simple, 4" 2-way speakers and 6" 2-way speakers up front (4"ers in the dash, 6"ers in the doors) and 6" speakers in the parcel shelf at the back. I have the rear speakers and a 10" 500w RMS Boss sub running off a Response 4x130w RMS amp. The sub is in a ported box and sounds awesome. The amp is much much better value than most other amps available in Australia, you get them from Jaycar. The 6" Speakers are also Response speakers (they're cheap and they sound just as good as anything else of the same power ratings) and the 4" Speakers are made by VDO, rated at about 25w RMS or something.

Seriously though, you don't need anything more than one good quality 10" sub if you want a SENSIBLE audio system in your car. Get a set of 6.5" split speakers for the front and the back and a 10" sub, an amp to drive the sub and your audio system will be more than good enough for someone who wants to enjoy music while they drive. If you want to go all out, don't bother if you're not going to enter competitions. My 10" sub goes plenty loud enough to deafen me and massage my bones, so I have no need for 4 15" subs, do I?
schumway
it is amazing how much it has improved and how much more affordable it is though... something that would have cost me 4-5000 2-3 years ago is now 600 with 100x the quality....

sometimes technology is great... course the money I spent on a 57" tv 4 years ago kinda ticks me off LOL
Jack_Hammer
I wouldn't mind a nice DAB radio with MP3 player installed, but thats it, nothing too fancy...
schumway
I agree Jack...

I would like the MP3 and some sleeper power but I dont want the low volume hiss and I dont want the booming quarter panel shaking c-r-ap

course it is hard to ask for nice quality sound (like at home with a more controlled environment) vs an 81 camaro with the overdone engine and road noise LOL

I always find that funny... head into future shop when they have a sale on... 2 things... one guy talking about the nice quality sound and the other guy just cranking some bass stuff... dont need any 6x9 speakers because all you can hear is the sub woofer... course it then defeats the purpose of the term... 'sub' since it is now a 'primary woofer' LOL
Rhubarb
I am very interested in car audio. I myself have an ok system, but nothing to what my friend bought today. He got himself 2x Infinity kappa perfect vq subwoofers, a 900w rms monoblock, 450w rms amp for mid and high range and a set of infinity splits, all of which is going to be fitted into a citi golf. This installation is going to be sick, nevermind the amount of hours and beer to be consumed during the installation.
I myself am saving to get a system very simullar except i'm going to have an extra set of splits.
Car audio make for a decent road trip.
schumway
how much would a system like that run?

do you have a schematic of a half decent but not going for broke wiring setup?

what guage of wire would you recommend?

do you have a spare battery and altenator/generator?
canadol
I am a car audio guy myself, in the process of buying a new deck and going with a pioneer just have to nail down a model (have two narrowed down).

Expensive hobby but one that I do myself and love attempting new things/ideas.

I am audio/visual tech so I have audio knowledge which really helps
Northgatebaseball
After spending a week during christmas break, my cousin called me to tell me that he totatled his car on valentines day...

http://community.webshots.com/album/533128918CqKGTf/0

That is the work we did in the trunk, however, we spent many more hours on that last August when we installed the front speakers and HU. We ran 1/0 wire from the battery to the back, 2 sets of RCAs, one for subs, and one for 4 channels of speakers. We also ran 12 gauge wire for all the speakers. We then laid down Peel and Seal, which is exaclty like Dynamat but cheaper. We used this to sound deaden the ENTIRE car. It was an extremely nice install from the inside out. We had a little bit of trouble in some places, but got it all done and looking good.

System in his car:

HU: Alpine CDA-9851
Front: Alpine SPX-177R
Back: Alpine 6x9
Subs: 2 12" Type R subs (500W RMS each)
sub amp: MRD-m1000 (1000W RMS)
speaker amp: MRV-f345
He also got the Ipod interface too hook up his 60 gig Ipod full of songs.

It was a great system, but we will be moving all the equipment over to his new car sometime in the summer....
Davidgr1200
The main problem with audio in a car is all the road and engine noise. I don't think it's worth spending a lot of money on. Much better to concentrate on decent audio in the home where the ambient noise is a lot less.
canadol
Davidgr1200 wrote:
The main problem with audio in a car is all the road and engine noise. I don't think it's worth spending a lot of money on. Much better to concentrate on decent audio in the home where the ambient noise is a lot less.

There is a fix for that. I is another expensive alternative but you can use sound deadening that drastically reduces road noise, etc
Northgatebaseball
I have found an alternative to those expensive sound deadeners and mentioned it briefly in my last post. This stuff is almost exactly the same as the dynamat but drastically cheaper. It is about US$1 per square foot. It is a lot of work to put on, but if you put just one layer on the car, it helps so much. You can just keep putting more and more layers if you arent satisfied, and each helps it more and more. You can get this stuff in the roofing section at a Lowes home improvement store, or you can order it online, probably cheaper to buy it in bulk.
canadol
Nice job northgate! I will be doing a similar project soon, by fibreglassing I mean. How did you find workig with the fibreglass? Difficult?

So you chose to use the trunk as a box is I see. Did the trunk size work with those subs and did you like using the trunk as a box.

Again, nice job and sorry to hear it was totalled, what type of car was it?
Northgatebaseball
It is a Honda Civic. It was the first time doing the fiberglass, and i have to admit, it was pretty tough. I would suggest using fiberglass cloth, instead of fiberglass mat. The cloth doesnt have a bunch of frayed pieces sticking out everywhere and it is much easier to add layers. If you couldnt tell, we taped out the sections in the trunk where we wanted the box, then layed out a layer of fiberglass....let it dry...and took out the mold and went from there. It was pretty uneventful, until we tried to put the boxes in after we were all done. The right one didnt fit, so we had to cut a big chunk out of it, and fiberglass a patch over the hole... I would suggest that you add the layers of the fiberglass on the INSIDE of the box, so the box will still fit into the trunk when you are done. Other than that, it sounded great and looked pretty good, after a little bit of cleanup (dont have pictures of full completed trunk, but almost).

It was fun, and we will be doing it again this summer. Eventually I will probably do it to my car when I get money, but we were working on his funds, so it didnt matter to me Smile
AffroThund3r
This is my head unit:

These are my speakers:

Next thing on the hit list is a 12" Kenwood Sub!! Smile
OutlawSpirit
i just got a vibe sub n amp... couple of 6x9's... and sony head unit Cool
thiamshui
too bad i dun hav a car.. still too young to hav one.. Sad
schumway
you could pimp up your bike.
couple of generators running off of the wheels and a battery to store a couple hours of charges.
you could mount the sub in you seat and the speakers in the cross bars. One speaker out front and one off the back. Put the head unit on the handle bars ontop of a gell pack and foam for vibrations, put a basket on the front of your handlebars for CDs of MP3s...

cars are too expensive to operate and maintain... plus you pack on the pounds once you give up the 2 wheels. I use to bike 20+ km a day and I miss it a lot. Now I do not have the time. I esp liked my weekends when I did an 80km bike ride then camped out on the beach and biked back the next day. awesome!
planet
Indeed I do =)

I have from when I bought my RangeRover had a Harman Kardon Sound System in it with Sub Woofer.

Resently I have installed headrest monitors for my grandkids and a Touch Screen for my Sat Nav. which I have installed together with a computer so the little buggers will leave me to drive when they watch movies.
Gieter
schumway wrote:
you could pimp up your bike.
couple of generators running off of the wheels and a battery to store a couple hours of charges.
you could mount the sub in you seat and the speakers in the cross bars. One speaker out front and one off the back. Put the head unit on the handle bars ontop of a gell pack and foam for vibrations, put a basket on the front of your handlebars for CDs of MP3s...

cars are too expensive to operate and maintain... plus you pack on the pounds once you give up the 2 wheels. I use to bike 20+ km a day and I miss it a lot. Now I do not have the time. I esp liked my weekends when I did an 80km bike ride then camped out on the beach and biked back the next day. awesome!

Dude, I discussed tuning my bicycle with a friend of mine about three days ago! I'm thinking about putting twenty dynamo's on my bike, and maybe an electricity generator (running on diesel) on the back of my bike to provide extra electricity when needed.

But I agree with you, riding a bicycle owns! Where do you live? Here, in Flanders, a bicycle is the most used means of transportation amongst youngsters.
chargoyle
Or you could do it the extremely easy way and hook up your iPod to your car using one of those headphone-jack-to-cassette-tape things for the crappy stereo your car comes with Very Happy
Kaisonic
I just use the preinstalled stuff that came with the vehicle. I like to bump up some techno or contemporary rock songs and start singing along with them. What? Am I the only one that likes to sing in the car? Is something wrong with singing in the car? And that reminds me, is wearing headphones while driving illegal? It seems like it should be.

I usually just plug my iPod into the cassette converter thingy. That's always nice.
mobe217
I got in to car systems right after I turned 16, Every one had one in there car when I started so I went for Big and Better system for my car. It ended up casting me a few grand and a lot of time to install every thing. I dont think I could have went to a comp with my car but it sounded great and nothing fell off my car while jamming to it.
Wotac
When I read these stories it makes me want to put great audio systems in my car too. It just means that I'll have to have a lot of money which I don't. I'll just have to wait until I get a job and money.
Itachi
I have an ok audio system now for a cheep price.
Head Unit: Some durabrand $90 mp3 xm satalite ready going to change it to a $130 dual mp3 and ipod ready
Rear 2 6 1/2" roadmaster subs. Chaging them to 6 1/2" 2 way speakers or just mount two 6 x 9 in my back window
2 10" Road Gear subs hooked up to my back speakers Switching to 2 12" Pyramid 800 watt max subs with a 1000 watt pyramid amp.
also i will be switching out the stock 4" speakers in the front doors.

I drive a 94' Toyota Tercel I will also be doing other none audio upgrades as well. the subs are $40 a piece the amp is $60 the speakers are $30 a piece and the dual head unit is $130 so it will be a cheap system but it works.

~Itachi