FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP Editor

yule
Hi Guys

I am trying to learn how to use PHP etc and came across PHP Editor anyways the link it below someone might find it useful, I am off to try it out so see how if its really difficult.

http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php

S
matt
Im always using ultraedit. never used other phpeditor.
thanks for proggy. looks good and has many great features. Smile
Seregwethrin
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 is the best!

It knows all php commands.

vspec
If you are just learning you aren't going to need to get such expensive software. To start out I recommend just getting an editor that just does syntax highlighting, personally I use Crimson Editor ( http://www.crimsoneditor.com/ ) Once you think you are going to be developing complex scripts I suggest moving on to a program that has auto-complete (or you'll never actually learn the language).

http://www.php-editors.com/
php-editors is a great site with a lot of popular php editors that you might find you want to use
ron_n_beau
yule wrote:
Hi Guys

I am trying to learn how to use PHP etc and came across PHP Editor anyways the link it below someone might find it useful, I am off to try it out so see how if its really difficult.

S
Don't start out by using an editor if you want to learn. Get a decent highlighting text editor, I use SciTE, which you can get for Mac, Windows and Linux, and for free, and do all your first coding by hand. If you use a crutch like that I can guarantee that you will be able to write code that won't work, and that you won't know how to fix.
Marcuzzo
ron_n_beau wrote:
yule wrote:
Hi Guys

S
Don't start out by using an editor if you want to learn. Get a decent highlighting text editor, I use SciTE, which you can get for Mac, Windows and Linux, and for free, and do all your first coding by hand. If you use a crutch like that I can guarantee that you will be able to write code that won't work, and that you won't know how to fix.

Hi, You just bumped an 8 year old topic and the OP even seems to be banned Laughing
anyway, I also use SciTE for most of my coding and I love it.
Arrogant
I have used Notepad++ text editor for, a long time and I don't have much problem with it.
It's lightweight, free and supports a lot of other languages
codegeek
Arrogant wrote:
I have used Notepad++ text editor for, a long time and I don't have much problem with it.
It's lightweight, free and supports a lot of other languages

Seconded. I am no eXpert on PHP, but have tried out quite a few editors in my learning process. First I tried Komodo Edit, then Scite, and Dreamweaver. However, for a lightweight, simple program, Notepad++ packs quite a punch. Very easy to write and edit code. Plus, it opens up at lightning speed.
Gregoric
PHP Designer is so far my favourite application used to create websites. Ease of use, FTP features (like automatically seding files to the server - that allows editing files in real-time!). The interface can be easily configurable (like most of the Windows based apps) - I prefer to hide all the menus that I do not need so I really like this feature.

The only disadvantage of this application is not yet complete support of CSS3 in the CSS highlighting. When you are inserting (For example) a <menu> or <section> tag into the HTML window - it works okay, program does not highligh it as a mistake, but when you will try to stylize it using CSS (section (something:something;), some of the nesly implemented elements are underlined with red and marked as an example - that forced me to turn the markup checking off in the CSS tab.

All in all, it is *the* best commercial software in its branch.
codersfriend
Sublime is the best text editor I know...
gotta try it Smile
http://www.sublimetext.com/
Phpaddict
i use notepad++, if you want, you can install it a FTP server, and transfer it to your web-page, or use it at default in yours .php files, and edit it with "Filezilla FTP client".
Arrogant
I used to work on Notepad++ before I switched to Linux
I don't know about this but I am downloading NetBeans 7.3.1
Maybe a great IDE
badai
Seregwethrin wrote:

keyword: macromedia, 2004

one already busted, the other have 9 years different.
Marcuzzo
badai wrote:
Seregwethrin wrote:

keyword: macromedia, 2004

one already busted, the other have 9 years different.

yep, this topic was bumped after 8 years Laughing

anyway, to get back on topic, I've started using eclipse again for my php websites.
Scite is my favorite "text editor" but when coding a website eclipse can do a lot more
Arrogant
How is NetBeans? I just heard about it
che_in_jal
Netbeans is one of the best editors i have used. I have tried others as well, but keep sticking to the netbeans. Code Completion, auto suggestions, auto formatting, git integration and a very clean interface, makes it best choice for me.

Arrogant wrote:
How is NetBeans? I just heard about it
Arrogant
Thanks.. I was thinking about it
Gadict
I use Notepad++ for everything but C++, ironically.
I haven't actually used PHP in a little over a year.
playfungames
For php editors I use NotePad++ to perform quick edits.

But for scripts that I have to write from root up, I use sublime text 2. It helps me to become faster and efficient with code highlighting and auto-complete. I know this can be turned on in NotePad++ as well but I prefer Sublime Text 2 when I need these features.
codersfriend
Yeah notepad++ is still the best editor to start with
codersfriend
For now I use phpstorm from jetbrains
Marcuzzo
codersfriend wrote:
For now I use phpstorm from jetbrains

I've looked into that one but never installed it because it is not free.
which license formula did you choose? I've seen that the personal license is 89 +tax and the term says: Licenses are perpetual for the licensed version of the software.
Jones2020
I use Notepad++ !! Good software for editing chunks of codes
Pankratios
Sublime Text is pretty good, esp if you are interested in barebones editor with good features and not an IDE.
Gregoric
Anyone interested may give a try to a free application called Brackets (previously called Brackets Sprint). It is a completely new look on the topic. It looks completely other than all the apps you are used to and works a bit differently. Has a lot of useful and varying addons and currently is being still developed so it's support and issue solving is very fast.

Community of the users is growing as well so you will find new addons all the time.

I do really recommend to at least give this application a try! The project was founded by Adobe (yes, the Adobe that made Photoshop & Illustrator!).

http://brackets.io/
Marcuzzo
Gregoric wrote:
Anyone interested may give a try to a free application called Brackets (previously called Brackets Sprint). It is a completely new look on the topic. It looks completely other than all the apps you are used to and works a bit differently. Has a lot of useful and varying addons and currently is being still developed so it's support and issue solving is very fast.

Community of the users is growing as well so you will find new addons all the time.

I do really recommend to at least give this application a try! The project was founded by Adobe (yes, the Adobe that made Photoshop & Illustrator!).

http://brackets.io/

I've tried it, but it's a little heavy for a html "designer". it also seems to install a local server and uses websockets ( I think )

but it looks good
naim94a
Editors i like: Notepad++ or Eclipse + PDT plugin for a good PHP IDE.