FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FC4 DVD => to CDs

Ironz
I'm not sure if anyone faced a similar problem (or has been stupid enough to face it *like me*) but i actually went to get a linux distro and the person in the shop gave me 2 options:
SuSE 9 (DVD)
Fedora Core 4 (DVD)

and with confidence i choose the FC4 thinking i had a DVD-Rom. but when i came back home, i realised that i do not have a DVD-Rom so i can't install it Shocked .

Now the question is:
Can someone plz tell me if there is a way to put the information available on the DVD onto CDs and how to put them so i can be able to install it.
and is that even possible or am i only dreaming?

Thank You.
Animal
Unless you have a DVD drive, it's not possible.

You should be able to download the CD ISO images from the respective websites for free. If you paid for the software, you could return it... or you could spend ~$50 for a DVD drive.
virtualpointer
[quote="Animal"]Unless you have a DVD drive, it's not possible.

You should be able to download the CD ISO images from the respective websites for free. If you paid for the software, you could return it... or you could spend ~$50 for a DVD drive.[/quote]

I think you'd better buy a DVD drive. AN alternative way is to burn CD from somewhere else, then take it home to install it.
Ironz
Animal wrote:
Unless you have a DVD drive, it's not possible.

You should be able to download the CD ISO images from the respective websites for free. If you paid for the software, you could return it... or you could spend ~$50 for a DVD drive.

Downloading the ISO images would take several weeks with my connection.
yeah i paid for the software but it's nothing and the guy doesn't have other than DVDs anyway.
I guess the only option available is to buy the external DVD drive, for a 2$ DVD i'm gonna buy a 50$ DVD drive, that makes sense.
steveadams617
Do you run a network at home? If so, you could have a friend bring a laptop over and you could do a network install from his/her dvd drive or hard drive.

Do you have access to a CD burner at work? You could stay after work and burn the disks.
mvdrtrading
The best thing to do is buying a DVD drive.
the aren't expensive.

Very Happy
Ironz
steveadams617 wrote:
Do you run a network at home? If so, you could have a friend bring a laptop over and you could do a network install from his/her dvd drive or hard drive.

Do you have access to a CD burner at work? You could stay after work and burn the disks.

how to do this over a network?
i have can get a laptop with dvd-rw but i didn't know i can actually install it from a network.

and yes i have a CD burner but what should i burn? the distro is on a dvd, can i burn the info from the dvd onto CDs?

thx a lot for ur help.
steveadams617
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you. If you have access to a CD burner, it's probably just as easy to burn a set of 4 CD's from iso files downloaded from: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/iso/

There are also mirrors at:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

You can do a network install directly from a fedora server, but I don't know where to download the boot.iso

http://www.grack.com/news/2004/FedoraCoreNetworkInstall.html