FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MySql to SQL

Reign
I recently created a forum and it all works fine. I'm all new to the mySql and sql things but:

When i download a database backup from the directAdmin page, I will get a file without an extension. that should be normal. Now can I restore that file as a database in my sql server? I tried but it won't do it? Or is this not possible?

P.s.: can anyone explain the difference between mySql and sql?
wumingsden
Reign wrote:
I recently created a forum and it all works fine. I'm all new to the mySql and sql things but:

When i download a database backup from the directAdmin page, I will get a file without an extension. that should be normal. Now can I restore that file as a database in my sql server? I tried but it won't do it? Or is this not possible?

P.s.: can anyone explain the difference between mySql and sql?

The file extension to a plain text document is .txt The file extension to a sql query is .sql There is no difference between the two because they are not the same at all. mySQL is the database type and sql (.sql) is a file extension that the database can use to extract the queries.

Open the file in Notepad (or equilavent) and save it as something.sql Then upload the file in phpMyAdmin by clicking on the database -> sql -> upload
Reign
wumingsden wrote:
The file extension to a plain text document is .txt The file extension to a sql query is .sql There is no difference between the two because they are not the same at all. mySQL is the database type and sql (.sql) is a file extension that the database can use to extract the queries.

Open the file in Notepad (or equilavent) and save it as something.sql Then upload the file in phpMyAdmin by clicking on the database -> sql -> upload

I think you don't get my problem. I want to restore the backup of the database in sql server... Now I can restore and backup sql databases with the enterprise manager so since the backup from the mySql database wouldnt work I assumed that there must be a difference.

so again, can I restore the database from my phpBB forum into my sqlserver?

and what is the difference between sql and mysql? I know that sql server works with the different files and is an rdbm but why MySql? whats the difference?
wumingsden
Reign wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

I think you don't get my problem. I want to restore the backup of the database in sql server... Now I can restore and backup sql databases with the enterprise manager so since the backup from the mySql database wouldnt work I assumed that there must be a difference.

so again, can I restore the database from my phpBB forum into my sqlserver? and what is the difference between sql and mysql? I know that sql server works with the different files and is an rdbm but why MySql? whats the difference?

Lets say you want to backup your forum and you already have the backups for the database and the actual files for the forum (language/temlplates/includes, etc). All you do is upload the .sql in phpMyAdmin and make sure that the .config file helds the relevant info.
I don't know wether it works this way if you backed up the forum through the ACP and i don't know wether you can restore a databse through the forums ACP neither (although I suspect you cannot) as it doesn't give you this option.

Quote:
sql and mysql

already explained the best I can

If you want me to restore your forum then PM your details and I'll do it for you (which is much easier than to expain everything about it.

~ In my opinion I believe that mySQL is the Most reliable database library there is
Reign
I don't want to restore it onto my webspace. I want to restore it into my sql server on my laptop so I can work with it. the forum works fine so I don't need to restore it.

Do you know sql server, the program?
wumingsden
Reign wrote:
I don't want to restore it onto my webspace. I want to restore it into my sql server on my laptop so I can work with it. the forum works fine so I don't need to restore it.

Now i understand, the official website is where you'll find the downloads www.mysql.com
Reign
wumingsden wrote:
Reign wrote:

Now i understand, the official website is where you'll find the downloads www.mysql.com

What do I need to download there? I allready have MySQL server 5.0 and microsoft SQL Server.
Aelita
okay I think you are wanting to look at the sql on a different MyAQL database correct? What you can do is just copy paste the materials in the file into a query screen in the database. What that is going to do is recreate the same stuff that was on your site when you backed it up. Now you can change stuff on the MySQL server that you have on your laptop without changes the stuff on your site. Is that what you are trying to do? And I dont know if it was explained yet, but SQL is the commands that a MySQL server uses to know what to do. Like create a database or what information to populate the database with. What tables and what goes in the tables and what not..
wumingsden
When mySQL is installed all you do is enter the queries; rather upload a .sql file or enter it manually, for instance:

Code:

CREATE TABLE phpbb_**** (
   action_id SMALLINT(5) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
   action_text VARCHAR(50) DEFAULT '',
   action_url VARCHAR(100) DEFAULT '',
   PRIMARY KEY (action_id)
Reign
So when you want to view the data, you always have to use queries?
wumingsden
Reign wrote:
So when you want to view the data, you always have to use queries?

no,
I recommend using phpMyAdmin to administrate your forum. In my opinion its much better, and definitly easier. Its fount @ www.phpmyadmin.net
Reign
I don't want to use phpMyAdmin, I want to use microsoft sql server...

Is it possible to use microsoft sql server?
wumingsden
Reign wrote:

yes, there both mysql whichever way you look at it
Reign
wumingsden wrote:
Reign wrote:

ok, now you understand my problem... it won't work in microsoft sql server...I can't install or recover the backup into the sql server on my laptop...
wumingsden
Reign wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
Reign wrote:

ok, now you understand my problem... it won't work in microsoft sql server...I can't install or recover the backup into the sql server on my laptop...

Its a shame I've never used microsoft sql. How are you doing it, uploading a .sql file (if this is even possible) or trying to create it manually? What is the error actually say? Also could you try entering this to see wether it can create a table manually:

Code:

CREATE TABLE phpbb_notes (
id int(8) not null,
text text);

INSERT INTO phpbb_notes (id,text) VALUES
('1','Text');

Don't forget to drop it all afterwards
Reign
I asked someone at school and he says it isn't possible after all... I'll just ask a teacher when we have class again, thanx anyway
fireoffears
Now I can restore and backup sql databases with the enterprise manager so since the backup from the mySql database wouldnt work I assumed that there must be a difference.

so again, can I restore the database from my phpBB forum into my sqlserver?

and what is the difference between sql and mysql? I know that sql server works with the different files and is an rdbm but why MySql? whats the difference?
SirDuncan
Reign,
it is not possible restore a backup from a MySQL database into a MS SQLServer database.

MySQL and SQLServer are totally different, the sintaxis, the internal funcionning, the structure of the objects, everithing is different.

Every data base system have its own SQL languaje, based on the standard, but with variations.

If you want to work locally you can download and install MySql for Window$ in your laptop.

hope helps.
Reign
SirDuncan wrote:
Reign,
it is not possible restore a backup from a MySQL database into a MS SQLServer database.

MySQL and SQLServer are totally different, the sintaxis, the internal funcionning, the structure of the objects, everithing is different.

Every data base system have its own SQL languaje, based on the standard, but with variations.

If you want to work locally you can download and install MySql for Window$ in your laptop.

hope helps.

thanx! this was what I wanted to hear.. now only have to figure out the mySQL administrator...