FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Explorer using 99% CPU time

Zuwiki
This just happened today.

I'm not sure if this paragraph had anything to do with the following events, but I thought I might mention it. I had accidently left a floppy with some .sxw (OpenOffice document format) in the floppy drive. I have my boot order as CDROM, Floppy, HDD. I booted my computer and after the BIOS had run its course of checking all the disks etc., it tried to boot. It found the floppy and said "Please remove media in Floppy drive" or something like that. I saw my error and, after removing the floppy, restarted the computer.

It booted up Winblows normally and I saw no difference. After. I had logged on, however, everything was going insanely slow and I could not use the taskbar, startmenu, or look at My Computer. I opened Task Manager and immediately noticed that explorer.exe was using 99% of the CPU. After rebooting a few times, restarting explorer.exe, bashing my head on the keyboard, and using a few of my other favorite methods, I saw that there was no improvement.

I used my good computer with Linux on it to look it up on the intrawebs. Many other people were having the same problems, but all for other reasons. Some, it happened when they right clicked on folders, other when they opened a folder with .avi files in it, and various other reasons. I tried all of their suggestions, but the problem persisted.

Many had said that reinstalling Winblows hadn't even helped, but I tried it anyway. When I put the Windows XP install disk in the drive and booted it up, I opted for repairing an existing Windows installation. Of course, it asked for the Administrator password, which I just couldn't remember. So I rebooted and tried out a few passwords. After finding the right one, it logged on of course. I noticed right away that it was no longer acting sluggishly and I could use the taskbar, startmenu, and look at my files.

This prompted me to examine my user settings for my normal login name. I could find nothing wrong anywhere, so I deleted my account and created it again. I logged on to that and it was working fine again!

That solved my problem, but if you have a similar problem and this doesn't help, I recommend you go here, or here.
Sorry for linking to other forums, but they are strictly computer related, so I don't think it will affect traffic. Wink

Now, I have a few questions. Does anyone have any idea HOW this was caused? Did it have anything to do with the floppy drive thing? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening in the future?

Thanks, and if this post helps you, you are welcome. But mostly thanks. Wink
Aelita
What's your windows cache setting and also what size is your HD/paging file also how much ram do you have? Laso check to see how many programs start up automatically when you log on.
tanapat
If you see your harddisk working hard it mean you not have enough memory you must add memory.
Or may be your computer have harddisk problem not enough space for swap memory.
The last reason your computer may be infect virus computer or have a attack from the network.
virtualpointer
Zuwiki wrote:

I'm not sure if this paragraph had anything to do with the following events, but I thought I might mention it. I had accidently left a floppy with some .sxw (OpenOffice document format) in the floppy drive. I have my boot order as CDROM, Floppy, HDD. I booted my computer and after the BIOS had run its course of checking all the disks etc., it tried to boot. It found the floppy and said "Please remove media in Floppy drive" or something like that. I saw my error and, after removing the floppy, restarted the computer.

It booted up Winblows normally and I saw no difference. After. I had logged on, however, everything was going insanely slow and I could not use the taskbar, startmenu, or look at My Computer. I opened Task Manager and immediately noticed that explorer.exe was using 99% of the CPU. After rebooting a few times, restarting explorer.exe, bashing my head on the keyboard, and using a few of my other favorite methods, I saw that there was no improvement.

I used my good computer with Linux on it to look it up on the intrawebs. Many other people were having the same problems, but all for other reasons. Some, it happened when they right clicked on folders, other when they opened a folder with .avi files in it, and various other reasons. I tried all of their suggestions, but the problem persisted.

Many had said that reinstalling Winblows hadn't even helped, but I tried it anyway. When I put the Windows XP install disk in the drive and booted it up, I opted for repairing an existing Windows installation. Of course, it asked for the Administrator password, which I just couldn't remember. So I rebooted and tried out a few passwords. After finding the right one, it logged on of course. I noticed right away that it was no longer acting sluggishly and I could use the taskbar, startmenu, and look at my files.

This prompted me to examine my user settings for my normal login name. I could find nothing wrong anywhere, so I deleted my account and created it again. I logged on to that and it was working fine again!

That solved my problem, but if you have a similar problem and this doesn't help, I recommend you go here, or here.
Sorry for linking to other forums, but they are strictly computer related, so I don't think it will affect traffic. Wink

Now, I have a few questions. Does anyone have any idea HOW this was caused? Did it have anything to do with the floppy drive thing? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening in the future?

I think it is not caused by the FD, but by your user.

You might use this user for a long time but not clear up some rubbish. So when you start your computer, the Explorer cannot load your things all in memory.

Next time, when you encounter this kind of thing, you could try to login with Administrator, then clear up the rubbish iof your account.

Certainly, there is another posiibily, your FD has VIRUS.
flashmoto
Zuwiki wrote:

on everyday bases my computer's 90% of memory is used by the explorer Very Happy
JayBee
don't use windows, in linux isn't dummy explorer Wink
flashmoto
I've got a linux partition with suse. I only use windows for my gamming needs. I've tried wine but it doesn't work well. Very Happy
JayBee
it was only a joke Laughing, becouse, i have a same problem, i like linux, but i want to run windows Mad
flashmoto
I've read that there is an easy way to setup your games in wine so that they work on your linux system, but i've not been very successfull at that. I really....really.....really like my linux system. It's soooo nice. I've not had it crash or i've never gotten a virus or a spyware on the system either. I don't understand why everyone doesn't just switch to linux. It's free, more secure, more faster, and more fredom. Very Happy
lieutenant_Allaire
Explorer may be used by other programs to run.

You can see 'explorer' as the program that sucks your CPU time, but in fact it could be any other programs (including trojans) that is really running.

look at programs that load at startup using explorer as launcher.
there are some freeware utilities that can list all program that load at startup in any ways (register,boot.ini, autoexec.bat, ...)
altec
I have experienced problems such as that when it seems that a program uses so much CPU time and I suspect it was a Trojan virus but wasn't detected by the AV program. I used Adware and Spyware removal programs, but it did not help. I suspect that this is a Windows bug. The only way that it was solved, is to reinstall Windows. For fear that it will happen again in the future, what I did was to buy another HD and install windows there. I now have 2 copies of windows, one on HD1 and one on HD2. This way, if HD1 acts up again, I can simply swap the primary HD in the BIOS. No time wasted here and I can continue on with my work hassle free while scheduling a time to repair HD1.
Clash
The sequence you describe, sounds like a boot sector virus on the floppy. Have you checked the floppy for viruses?

For everybody else out there, take the floppy drive out of the boot sequence.
SoftStag
Clash wrote:
The sequence you describe, sounds like a boot sector virus on the floppy. Have you checked the floppy for viruses?

For everybody else out there, take the floppy drive out of the boot sequence.

I disagree, if it were a virus then all users would be affected, not just the one you normally use. Best to scan your system just in case though.

This happens quite a lot, and there are many reasons for it. It is often almost impossible to find out why it is happening. In my experience it is usually caused by insufficient virtual memory (possibly because of low disk space) or programs loading in startup causing demands on the explorer.exe service.
DoctorBeaver
My friend had that too. She got her local, friendly computer whizz to check it out & he couldn't solve it either. He had to re-install XP for her to get the PC working again.

However, we found out that her brother had been visiting a lot of dodgy sites and downloading loads of stuff via P2P. That's a recipe for disaster to start with!
d722002
you most likely have a virus. look around in the processes list to see if theres anything unusual. if not, find an antivirus prog and run it. if it comes up clean, end and restart the explorer.exe process and try again. if you still have the problem, check to see how big your pagefile is. you may have accidentially reduced it.
abhinav_shah
I think it's a virus...
Just install some good antivirus like norton and scan your disks... I think this may solve your
problem...
Abhinav
faker
This problem happened to me three times, in my case it happened to be infected by viruses. My antivirus couldn't do anything to stop it so i ended up formating my harddisk fro 2 times @@. however in 1 of the case it was just a spyware trying to suck all of my resources, i have to trace down to the root of the file and delete it but due to the disturbing lagness it took me about an hour to delete the file.
DimaSafr
Yeh, Couple times it happened to me The Explorer would eat all the CPU usage. I will be honest could not solve it and both times had to reinstall windows. I suppose it is caused by some serious bug in the system which sort of grows gradually and then blows up Confused . Who knows.