FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Country Statistics

phileplanet
I've always seen sites like www.statcounter.com that have specific user statistics. What I want to know is, how do they get the users city/country. I think it has something to do with JavaScript but it could just as well be any other programming language. Does anybody know how to do this?
Marston
I think they're doing "who is" queries on the IP addresses, to get the location. An example of a "who is" query site is www.whois.sc
phileplanet
Marston wrote:
I think they're doing "who is" queries on the IP addresses, to get the location. An example of a "who is" query site is www.whois.sc

You mean there is like a PHP/HTML/JS function that can do a whois? Because seems to me as if it gets different variables and then uses those variables to buid a log file. If it did a whois, wouldn't it be all in paragraphs or something?
Ironz
a server gets the user's ip and does a whois on it and THEN adds it to the log files or to the database or something. the whois returns the information of one ip and then it's the job of the stats system (like statcounter or webalizer for example) to add that information and organise it.